Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 71/84 with a patchy (pitted) bore.

71/84 with a patchy (pitted) bore.

So my 71/84 project gun is about complete. Just need to build my mag tube or find an original. The bore cleaned up amazingly well, it is shiny and sharp with great rifling. However there is a small spot the size of a pea about an inch from the lead that is slightly pitted, as well as a small patch at the muzzle.

My question is, how much does pitting like this really affect group sizes? I generally like to shoot paper patch so I can't imagine the pitts catching any lead. I suppose the only pain is how rough areas will be tougher to clean any BP fouling out of. Most of my BPCR have exceptional bores, this will be my first rough shooter.

Thanks for insight
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

I commented on your other thread looking for parts, but I like to talk about them. Yes, shooting paper patch I doubt if you'll experience leading, but without the patch I think you very well might, especially if your lead is very soft. I think you'll have good results, it's just a matter of finding the best charge. Personally, when mine is up and running I plan on using smokeless.

Boolit Master
    I use 300 grain .452 shillouette bullets from Missouri bullet company pushed thru a .446 sizer and about 12 grains unique for abut 1200 fps. some folk use 4198 or even 3031.