Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper patched (wrapped) bullets in Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Boolit Mold

Paper patched (wrapped) bullets in Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Hi,

I was looking for a replacement barrel for my Lyman Great Plains but it Looks like Green Mountain no longer makes fast twist barrels available. My goal is to shoot paper wrapped 400-500 grain bullets that some of the people on this site report as being very accurate in their rifles. Anyone has experience with paper patching .50 with 32 twist?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    IdahoRon does. He uses the Lee .50 cal pistol bullet through his GPH.

Boolit Mold
    I thought IdahoRon has a Green Mountain barrel with twist faster than 32 (1-28 if I am right). Unfortunately, Green Mountain no longer makes octagonal fast twist barrels.

Perm-Banned
    i have a custom inline 50 cal. that im sighting in right now with a 1/32 twist. im only going to shoot paperpatched bullets in it. have a icecream bucket of bullet swagged up, 485 grain .494 diam. i use the single wrap system. the first few was about in the same hole and now i just have to move the sight so it is in the x not just close to it. pm me and we can talk all about it.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. What mold are you using? I am guessing that the Great Plains Hunter should be stabilizing the same bullet adequately since it too is 1-32 twist.

Perm-Banned
    i cast bullets to the weight i want then swage them to bullet i want. however most cant do that and a perfect bullet for what you need is about 450 to 500 grains sized to about .493. go to ramshot.com and to the blogsection and read the article on paperpatching the inline muzzleloader. it is for side locks, underhammers or any kind of fast twist muzzle loader. it will explain the double wrap method or the chase single wrap method. pictures and all are their.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrouse View Post
    Hi,

I was looking for a replacement barrel for my Lyman Great Plains but it Looks like Green Mountain no longer makes fast twist barrels available. My goal is to shoot paper wrapped 400-500 grain bullets that some of the people on this site report as being very accurate in their rifles. Anyone has experience with paper patching .50 with 32 twist?

Thanks
    Take a look at this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=idahoron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    IdahoRon does. He uses the Lee .50 cal pistol bullet through his GPH.
    I have TC rifles with GM barrels. But I did post about a Lyman.

Boolit Master
    Listen to Ron and Roger, they have it down pat! I am shooting the .500 slug, 450 grains, sized an paperpatched with one wrap of freezer paper, eats a ragged hole at 100yds!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. Reading the thread link posted above by Idahoron it looks like that Lee C-501-440-RF is what I need. Excellent! Once again, thanks everyone.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1-28 twist GPH barrel & talked to Ron & I,m using the same bullet he recommend & mind
    drives nails. I have not pp my bullets yet. But plan to in the future, but it still shoots better than me.

Fly

Sharpsman
    A 500 grain cast bullet paper patch is going to need a 1-18" ROT to stabilize the bullet!

Perm-Banned
    sharpman, you are correct for a 45 cal rifle barrel but the question was for a 50 cal barrel. a 1/28 twist in 50 cal will shoot a 500 grain bullet very well and a 1/32 twist may also. many long range blackpowder cartridge rifles in 50 cal have a 1/27 twist. ive shot 1/23 twist in 50 cal but as time goes by i prefer the slower twist and a lighter bullet. i found a 724 grain 50 cal pp bullet was way over kill on a deer. a 400 to 500 gets the job done with out thowing them like they were hit by a train.

Sharpsman
    My best accuracy with the 50/90 was with a ROT of 1-22 using PP of 650-720 grs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrouse View Post
    Hi,

Thanks
    So, this was my first try with PP bullets in my GPH. Got the PP bullets from Oregon, the 450gn version as it was the lightest they had in .50 cal.

PP was onion skin from same placed, double wrapped dry and then sized through a Lee .501 die to 'iron' the paper (thanks to idahoron for his work on this).

I fired about 15 today. Most were trying to get bullet on paper. To be fair this is only my second time firing this rifle. I handicapped myself with wrong color target (black with orange center). I also screwed up and did not clean all the oil out of the barrel before firing. It left me with delayed ignition for some of the shots. And I did not clean between shots. All of which I will fix next time.

Regarless of the issues this was the result at 100yd (bottom dots on center target)

Boolit Master
    I am quite satisfied with the first try at this, especially since I had several variables working against me.

FYI the top three holes on the target were PRB over 40gn FFF triple7.

And the load for the PP bullets was 80gn FFF Triple7.

charlie

PS forgot, that bottom group is about 5" across

Boolit Master
    Last,

Here is what the paper looked like after firing. Most of it blew away but I cought a few pieces just to see what they looked like

Boolit Master
    Well, another day at the range. Still having some delayed firing. After reading up a bit I think it may be more to do with tring for fire TripleSeven with percussion caps. I am going to go out and get some real black or Pyrodex for the rest of my 'experiments.

These were the last three shots of the day (10 shots worth). Note that these were weighed charges this time vs using a powder measure. Wiped between shots. Still using the 450gn PP bullet, 2 layers onion skin, 80gn equivalent. Down to 2" range at 100yd. There was a bit of wind blowing but didn't seem to bother it much.

Boolit Master
    PS just wanted to thank all you guys who have figured out this PP thing again. Never would have considered such a thing without all that experience to help.

Boolit Master
    Yes these guys are great. Ron scoped me out on my GPH & it can out shoot me for sure. Any misses are me.
    Nothing wrong with your GPH barrel. Better keep that bad boy.
    Fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast