Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

Boolit Master
    If you have the money you can get a smokeless muzzleloader that will push 275 grains at 3100 fps and over 6000 pounds energy.

Perma-Banned
    If you cannot hit a deer at 200 yards with a straight walled case rifle you need to go back to school. You wanna stand out there holding up a pie plate at 200 and let me shoot at it with 450 Bushmaster factory loads ? You'll be safe .... the plate won't hold any food.

Boolit Master
    you can shoot and kill deer at 200 yd. with a muzzleloader using real b-p and cast bullets. you are justnot going to walk into a store and buy one. just read about the old guys. they shot 20 rod matches {220yd}.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    What is the difference in a modern smokeless muzzleloader compared to a 45-70 rifle , or a bolt action rifled slug gun with some modern slugs ?
    You haven't been im the crossfire of an Iowa deer drive, have ya? Sadly, I have.

And what makes you think I'm supportive of smokeless muzzleloaders anyway?

Boolit Master
    I live in a shotgun only county on the east coast , I don't participate in driving deer hunts with people or dogs although in my youth I have . When I was involved in a drive hunt the walkers were unarmed and the shooters were set up in safe firing places , taking turns in shooting , and driving . I can't imagine a line of drivers walking through a wooded lot armed , be safe .

Boolit Buddy
    I did not think my 45-70 statement would go far. I do live in SW Iowa and have come close to being shot but not in drive hunts. I was on public ground and a bigger city hunter decided to shoot at a deer on a ridge line. It was with a rifled slug and I was about 200 yards away but over a hill. I would like to see all inline MLs stopped as I do not see them as MLs. I use a hand built rifle. My is from Green River Rifle Works. I use real BP and a patched round ball.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Even thought they are bottle neck, I would like to see 38-40 and 44-40 added.

How about the people like me that like hunting but can't handle the recoil of a shotgun shooting rifled slugs? I can't tolerate the recoil of my 12 ga's, the 20 is bearable but not pleasant. My Marlin 1984 44 Mag is much more tolerable. It shoots better than any shotgun I can afford. It's bullets perform better than forester slugs, those expensive sabot slug are out of my price range.I can shoot my rifles much better and easier. They work better. Leo

Boolit Master
    We can all shoot rifles much better and easier. Of course they work better. We could all use .30-06s in Model 70s much easier and .50 Barretts even easier yet. That's sorta the point, don't ya think?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My savage 210 20 gauge bolt action shoots one ragged hole at a hundred yards with 3" Remington accutips. The load DRT'd my only two deer I shot with it...my last trip to Iowa. Way better groups than either of the 45-70s I've owned got rid of. Think I'll keep using my shotgun there.

Boolit Buddy
    Here in Ohio they used that same scare tactics, If you legalize rifles there will be slaughter of hunters during gun season, Well I think its about 3 years now there nothing has happened that the opponents have said would happen, by the way in Ohio they legalized any straight walled in a rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have not shot a deer with a shotgun here for 20+ years. Back then it was smooth bore slug barrels and sabots were just beginning to show up. The sabots were not of much use as rifled slug barrels were a no-no, 75 yards was a loooong shot. I have since then used muzzleloaders’ and a rifle when they were legal in late season. I just got kind of sick with lobbing pumpkins at them. I also came to the realization that a bunch of guys walking into each other and shooting was not real smart. As I understand it a straight wall pistol cartridge is no more a long range weapon than a 12/20 gauge slug gun, with a rifled barrel and the correct sabot shell. This rings true as most of the guys I know still hunting shotgun season, have shotguns with 3x9 scopes mounted on them, which is a bit much for a 50 - 75 yard gun. The short range slug gun died 15-20 years ago.

Brett, The point I was trying to make was some hunters can't deal with heavy recoil. Whatever the reason, myself, injuries I have had over the years has left my shoulder somewhat recoil sensitive. Not only do heavy recoiling firearms a problem but I can no longer pull a bow. A 12 ga with most any slug has more recoil than I can handle. My 20 ga is bearable but still somewhat uncomfortable. Yes high tech rifled slug guns with sabot slugs can shoot well. I don't like the price of those expensive slugs.With my Marlin 44 mag I can shoot it easily, recoil well within my tolerance. I can also reload it and get much better accuracy than I can get with most any shotgun I have tried. I grew up in New York State, where shotgun's only were allowed. I was at a point I was ready to give up hunting. I rejoiced when the state opened my area to rifles. I now own several that I can hunt with, the aforementioned 44Mag, I Remington 725 in 280 Remington, which with proper loads do not exceed my pain threshold, A Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser, A Savage 11 I rebarreled to 250 Savage. All have a different type of hunting usage. The 44 is great for hunting thick stuff where shots are close and quick. The 250 for shots a bit longer and more open, the 7mm and 280 for longer range stuff. I think there may be a few hunters in the same shape. Should they be prevented from hunting just because you think using pistol chambered rifles isn't needed to control deer populations. jim147, on a muzzle loader that can generate 6000 lbs of energy, Do you really need that much to kill a deer? Leo

Boolit Buddy
    44 mag, I must not have worded my post correctly. I am not opposed to the new rifle rules, quite the opposite, I welcome them. I was just attempting to point out that these rifles are likely no more dangerous than the rifled slugs which are in use today. I will not likely hunt these seasons as I hunt early muzzleloader which disqualifies you for the late seasons. I like the warmer weather in the early season, these old bones do get along with the cold as well as they used too. I believe this may get more back into deer hunting here and hopefully start getting folks away from party hunting. In my older age have come to the conclusion party hunting with shotguns and especially rifled barreled shotguns, is more dangerous than rifles and hunter is stands.

The high dollar muzzle loaders are as powerful as needed. They are accurate, etc.

There is, therefore, no reason to not allow rifles in Iowa. But a 336 Marlin (or similar) compared to the high dollar muzzle loaders is affordable, easier to load and with cast bullets etc. Deer hunting should not be limited to people with money to burn.

I have a traditional muzzle-loader and am not against muzzle loading, BTW.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    Has anyone seen the official approved list of cartridges from the state?

Boolit Buddy
    DNR doesn't meet again until may 11th. hopefully after that we will know.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The ruger american 450 bushmaster would be my choice if this straightwall cartrige was on the approved list.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Has anyone seen the official approved list of cartridges from the state?
    It is the same ones that you can use in handgun for the seasons.Just now can use it in rifle.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I'm glad to see that it has been signed into law. I'm already doing load development for lower recoiling loads with my 18" .357 Max barrel for my daughters to use. The 20 gauge slug loads are a LOT of recoil for their little bodies (11 & 13 y/o). I will continue to use the same gun in pistol configuration during the late muzzleloader season because it's better for my schedule and MUCH more relaxed. (No deer drives then around here)
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast