Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    It is the same ones that you can use in handgun for the seasons.Just now can use it in rifle.
    The dnr has the final say on calibers used.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    this is from the 2016/17 Regs on line. I will have to call on the 450 bushmaster. You would think they would approve it since it is about the same as the 45-70 and 460. I just sold my nano today so I'm ordering one.

[COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 55.100000%, 65.000000%)]Handguns[/COLOR]: Center- re handguns .357 cali-ber or larger, shooting straight wall ammunitionwith an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrellength for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulderstock or long barrel modi cations are allowed.
    Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Power-mag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Reming-ton Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,.45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Mag-num, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 ActionExpress, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500S&W Mag.
    Hunters age 16 and under may not useany handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20must be accompanied by a parent, guardianor spouse who is at least 21 years old to usea handgun.

Here is the bill that is on the law. https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislati...lBook?ba=HF475 it tells what you can use.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    it also says 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. I would think that they are going to look at the difference on some of the calibers being used in a handgun vs. rifle, since 45-70is a rifle cartridge.

here is what is on the laws that can be use in handgun and for what the new law on rifle is to this.

Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
    or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition
    with an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel
    length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder
    stock or long barrel modifications are allowed.
    Only the following center-fire cartridges may
    be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
    Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
    10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41
    Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington
    Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445
    Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,
    .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451
    Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460
    Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum,
    .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action
    Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500
    S&W Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I know what the handgun laws are. But it say ballistics similar to handgun. You can argue all you want the DNR has the final say on what they will allow. It says handgun cartridge, 45-70 is a rifle cartridge. We will have to wait and see.

I am not argue with you or anyone i am just going by what the law say and what they got down of what can be use that is why i posted of what handgun ones can be used and they do got 45-70 Govt. as one of the one that is able to be used.If not sure call your game warden then and see what they will say.Then you will know from DNR yourself.Then go by hear say.They also have 444 marlin also as one you can use in the handgun too..

Boolit Buddy
    I have talked to the DNR and they said they where going to review the law in their meeting on the 11th. The dnr trumps all laws pertaining to hunting just like not being able to carry a handgun while bow hunting even though you have a ccw.

I know that DNR dose for what you said. Thank you for letting know about what they are plan to do will see what they will do.

Boolit Master
    The Contender and the Encore are what will stretch the definition of handgun. The 375 win, 444 Mar, 45/70, 500 S&W, they were all factory offerings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    We can all shoot rifles much better and easier. Of course they work better. We could all use .30-06s in Model 70s much easier and .50 Barretts even easier yet. That's sorta the point, don't ya think?
    BrentD, What is your position in the Iowa DNR?? Just curious

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    BrentD, What is your position in the Iowa DNR?? Just curious
    I sorry, who said I had a position in the IDNR? Not me.

Calling a 45-70 a handgun cartridge is just plain atupid. Ditto for .444.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    The Contender and the Encore are what will stretch the definition of handgun. The 375 win, 444 Mar, 45/70, 500 S&W, they were all factory offerings.
    and don't forget custom barrel makers(MGM, bullberry, etc), like the 475 and 500 linebaugh

Boolit Master
    This is really good news. Personally, I wish bottleneck cartridge rifles would be allowed, but allowing more people to become involved in hunting at an early age is important.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I emailed the Iowa DNR today and asked if the 450 bushmaster was on the approved list and let them know that this caliber is approved in Michigan for the pistol calibers chambered in rifles for their shotgun only areas(and that Ruger started making rifles chambered in it for this purpose) They told me the 450bm is not currently on their approved chambering list but might be amended to it by the the time they finish the regs in a month or two....but the 45-70, 444, and 50 beuwof are (all bigger)

Boolit Buddy
    They haven't approved them yet either

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    They haven't approved them yet either
    Please keep us up dated sac. thank you

Vendor Sponsor
    Not meaning to stir the pot as I have no intention to hunt in Iowa at the time. There was a single action handgun manufactured for sale called the BFR that was chambered in 45-70 that could easily be considered for deer hunting in states that allowed handgun hunting for deer. Why you would want to shoot such a thing is beyond me, but they do exist. I guess that a state wildlife department would have to take that into consideration.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Not meaning to stir the pot as I have no intention to hunt in Iowa at the time. There was a single action handgun manufactured for sale called the BFR that was chambered in 45-70 that could easily be considered for deer hunting in states that allowed handgun hunting for deer. Why you would want to shoot such a thing is beyond me, but they do exist. I guess that a state wildlife department would have to take that into consideration.
    it has not been disputed that they make a handgun chambered in 45-70, or that it isn't a law that that you can't use a handgun chambered in 45-70 for hunting deer. The question is if the DNR is going to allow the rifle cartridge to be allowed in a rifle for the pistol caliber rifle season.

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    it has not been disputed that they make a handgun chambered in 45-70, or that it isn't a law that that you can't use a handgun chambered in 45-70 for hunting deer. The question is if the DNR is going to allow the rifle cartridge to be allowed in a rifle for the pistol caliber rifle season.
    That is what I am wonder also like you sac.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast