Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Most was political after all. No real knowledge from the start. It still pervades decisions and game departments go against common sense but are over ridden and must obey laws they can't interpret. Those in the field, hunters and biologists know what is needed for the heath of animals.
    Politicians get money from greeny weenies that want to save a bug or worm. All the money on earth will never get rid of any insect. We should feed politicians stink bugs or the snakes that invaded FLA. Why not just kill them. They kill pigs at night now and from choppers since they are destructive pests. Deer are out of control but to shoot one at 200 yards is wrong.
    The world is full of sick people, demoncrats all.
    You sound like me when you talk! No. I'm younger. I sound like you

Boolit Buddy
    I would also hope that the .38-40 and .44-40 are included in an updated list.

Boolit Buddy
    BTW, I have hunted shotgun deer with the same group on the same private ground for 20 years and we have never had an incident. We all run every drive with the same people in the same locations. Both drivers and standers are given directions and extreme peer pressure makes sure this happens. Young guys do all the walking, I am 46 and still walk....

Not many scopes around, a few rifled barrels and fiber optic sights though, along with a few really old pump guns. Been filling tags this way for years.

Did any one hear about DNR ruling is on this yet?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Heard sometime in june

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Heard sometime in june
    thank you ,is that when the posting of all the rules are?

Boolit Buddy
    I hope

Boolit Mold
    The biggest push for the .450 Bushmaster is from the Tactical world with the AR platform. Iowa is still huntable, to .357mag handgun range...

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like they won't be releasing any info until the new 2017-2018 regulation book comes out.

Boolit Buddy
    here is a link to the meeting minutes. http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/Boa...rce-Commission. go to 5-11-2017 pdf.

Boolit Buddy
    From what I found out since they don't meet the NRC straight walled cartridge, 45-70 and 444 will be grandfathered in.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the new hunting regulations 2017/2018 Handguns/Rifles: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber or larger, and rifles shooting straight wall ammunition with an expanding-type bullet. Mini-mum barrel length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or long barrel modifications are allowed in late muzzleloader season.
    Hunters age 16 and under may not use any handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or spouse who is at least 21 years old to use a handgun.
    The following center-fire cartridges may be used, along with others not identified in this list that meet the straight-walled cartridge criteria in the next section below: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .450 Bushmaster, .451 Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
    Allowable Straight-walled Cartridge Criteria:
    ■■Center-fired straight-walled rimless cartridges chambered for handgun use with bullets from 0.357” to 0.500” diameter and a case length from 0.850” to 1.800.”
    ■■Center-fired straight-walled rimmed cartridges chambered for handgun use with bullets from 0.357” to 0.500” diameter with a case length from 1.285” to 1.800.”

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Here is the new hunting regulations 2017/2018 Handguns/Rifles: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber or larger, and rifles shooting straight wall ammunition with an expanding-type bullet. Mini-mum barrel length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or long barrel modifications are allowed in late muzzleloader season.
    Hunters age 16 and under may not use any handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or spouse who is at least 21 years old to use a handgun.
    The following center-fire cartridges may be used, along with others not identified in this list that meet the straight-walled cartridge criteria in the next section below: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .450 Bushmaster, .451 Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
    Allowable Straight-walled Cartridge Criteria:
    ■■Center-fired straight-walled rimless cartridges chambered for handgun use with bullets from 0.357” to 0.500” diameter and a case length from 0.850” to 1.800.”
    ■■Center-fired straight-walled rimmed cartridges chambered for handgun use with bullets from 0.357” to 0.500” diameter with a case length from 1.285” to 1.800.”
    You beat me to it sac. Glad you got it up I was going to post the link to the site but you did better. Here is the link anyways for those that like to see it
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Licenses-Laws

Boolit Buddy
    Now we need to find out their criteria for expanding-type boolits.

You so right because for how it is worded can be different then what it is for what they mean. I found that out with the use of trotlines in the state.For how I understand it and found out from when ask about part of it, I was told that I had understand it wrong .but I am all set on that now.Just need to run some now.

Boolit Buddy
    I just emailed them and asked specifically about jhp, jsp, cast, and cast hp. I will post on here what I find.

I just got off the phone with my county Game Warden , He told me cast bullet is ok because of if a jacket bullet has a lead tip will be ok .He said full metal jacket is what they do not want to me use.He said for my cast bullet with soft alloy is ok and WC and SWC and HP in cast or any cast bullet .He said it will be alot cowboy action rifles use and bullets.So he said any of my cast will be ok.

Boolit Master
    From a shot gun only county in Va. I am happy to hear this news .

I forgot to add that for jacket bullet HP is ok also beside soft point also.

Boolit Buddy
    good, I haven't heard back from dnr yet.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast