WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

Boolit Master

Brent, if the population is in check and numbers are where they need to be, then yes there may be no reason to change. I'm just going by what I've heard.

I find the thought of shotgun only to be very backward and a means to limit the deer harvest through limited firearm range. Of course I have grown up in a different state, where centerfire rifles are .22 caliber with 55 grain bullet and up, inline and traditional muzzleloaders compound bows and recently crossbows. The harvest numbers seem to keep going up. In some locales the numbers are down either to disease or a poorly thought out deer management program for taking additional does off of larger parcels of property.

Regardless, we have always had rifle deer season here and the thought of removing rifle season here just sounds absurd.

Most game laws and changes in regulations are political in nature and have minimal basis in logic or good stewardship of game in mind. I don't know why shotgun only was initiated for your state.

Here, shotgun hunting of deer is legal with slug only. No buckshot is allowed (illegal) and most consider it unethical as well.

We are just from two different hunting cultures, somewhat polar opposites if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Don you hit the nail on the head. Iowa doesn't control the deer population. This how bad they are in our area. They walk up our front steps and eat my wifes flowers she has out on the porch. We look out the back door and within 70 yards of the house its not uncommon to see 20-30. Drive over the hill and a half mile down the road its another 20-30, drive another 3/4 mile and its another 20-40. One year my brother came over and told me they ate every ear in a 40 acre field of corn we had. And then the fatalities they have caused on the roads. State won't talk about that.
    Where I am the deer are not like that .I am in northeast Iowa
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

This bill was sign into law now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Where I am the deer are not like that .I am in northeast Iowa
    We live on 6 acres in Jefferson Township in Johnson county, on the peninsula. It's definitely a over populated hot spot regardless of what DNR might publish or admit. I'm not sure what its going to take to get the numbers under control as its not even real safe to fire a 22 RF here. The only thing I can think of is for the DNR to use a small livestock trailer behind a pickup and dart gun them then haul them to another area or trade them with another state for other spices of game we need. Not sure what that might be. When my great grand father and his brother came to this country with their parents before 1900 they owned 420 acres on the east side of what is now the green castle airport runway. My wife and I still own some of the family farms both on her side and mine yes I'm a farm boy that spends a lot of time outdoors on our own places. The poor guys farming the river bottom east of Tipton suffer a lot of crop loss.

BK7saum, Just a little history the way I remember it from the Eastern part of the state as to why its shotgun only. The first deer season was around 1954 I think and most of the farms were 80-120 acres with a set of farm buildings and the herd was extremely small. Shotgun slugs were for safety plus the Conservation commission as it was called then didn't want to decimate the herd. The practice which continues today is large groups driving the deer to shooters. I remember my Dad went with my uncle, Dad used his Win Mod 12. When I started going you mailed your money & application in for a lottery drawing as the herd numbers in the state were small. Sometimes you would go for years not getting a license & tag. Back then very few doe tags were issued it was antlered only. The population around me didn't explode until about 1993 1995. The herd numbers have been straight up since. I remember when they used " Sharp Shooters" on the golf course in Coralville. They did knock the population but the cost for each deer was astronomical. My wife was a nurse at the U of Ia Hosp. at the time. Just before the sharp shooters a mature couple from Arkansas hit a deer which went through their windshield by the golf course traveling east on I-80. He made it to the emergency room but did not survive. Several other fatalities of people I know personally.

I'm sure other parts of the state have a small population. I don't know western Iowa that well

Boolit Buddy
    In the mid 60s when I started deer hunting in Iowa you sent in for a drawning for a deer tag. If you were lucky and got a tag you got together with other lucky hunters and if 10% killed a deer it was a good hunt. The season was 3 days at that time and shotgun only using rifled slugs. There was no rifled barrels and sabut slugs. I was real happy when handguns were allowed. I have killed deer in Iowa with shotgun, handgun, bow and muzzle loader. I have shot deer with handgun and muzzle loader at ranges over 200 yards. I still have killed more deer at less than 25 yards than over. A few have been at kissing ranges. I will use a rifle this coming season. I might try using one of my Remington Rolling Blocks in 45-70 loaded with a BP load like the old buff hunters did. No real advantage to using a rifle in a pistol cal just something different. And that is the reason to do it.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunseller View Post
    In the mid 60s when I started deer hunting in Iowa you sent in for a drawning for a deer tag. If you were lucky and got a tag you got together with other lucky hunters and if 10% killed a deer it was a good hunt. The season was 3 days at that time and shotgun only using rifled slugs. There was no rifled barrels and sabut slugs. I was real happy when handguns were allowed. I have killed deer in Iowa with shotgun, handgun, bow and muzzle loader. I have shot deer with handgun and muzzle loader at ranges over 200 yards. I still have killed more deer at less than 25 yards than over. A few have been at kissing ranges. I will use a rifle this coming season. I might try using one of my Remington Rolling Blocks in 45-70 loaded with a BP load like the old buff hunters did. No real advantage to using a rifle in a pistol cal just something different. And that is the reason to do it.
    Steve
    I hope they allow 45-70, but I bet they don't

Boolit Master
    I have 4 .45-70s. I hope they do not allow them.

Boolit Buddy
    If they do, I hope they the law says no party hunting with them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    If they do, I hope they the law says no party hunting with them.
    That would be fine with me, but that's pretty much unenforceable. The closest I've come to being shot (and it was WAY too close), was by party hunters. And I was just minding my own business hunting ducks! No one is safe during shotgun deer season.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    I hope they allow 45-70, but I bet they don't
    The 45-70 is listed as a legal handgun caliber in the Iowa hunting regulations, therefore it should be allowed as a rifle.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Hello,

Indiana, as was mentioned by a fellow Hoosier up the thread, is experimenting with this.

I consider my traditional muzzleloader and now to be my hunting weapons.

Having the option to use my favorite Mosin or Gew88 or whatever is nice. I might use the Mosin once due to my profession, but I hunt mostly woods and prefer my selected tools.

Were I to hunt a friend's field, the 7.62x54r would be nice to use.

Regards,

Josh

Banned

Yeah, I wish we could get Illinois to go to rifle's for firearm deer season. We'll keep working on it. That or sell the house and move to Missouri. Not a bad idea really.

Just come on over to Indiana. We've been working on gun laws for years, and we are on the downhill side now, I think! We still need more gun folks here, never hurts!

You all in Illinois are fighting an uphill battle with Chicago playing so prominently in politics.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I have 4 .45-70s. I hope they do not allow them.
    So, BrentD, you seem rather anti-gun here on a Pro-gun shooting web page. Where do you actually live since you don't dare list it on your header like everyone else thats proud of where they live. And the firearms they use for deer hunting.

Boolit Master

Again. Differences in culture. Most of the folks that I hunt with and am familiar with do not party hunt or conduct deer drives. They set up stands along travel routes or spot and stalk.

How does hunting with a 4570 instead of a shotgun with slugs make so much difference that you adamantly fear it.

I like to know for use of a 357mag and a 44mag for cast in a rifle for deer is it best to use the biggest boolit for deer hunting in the rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, BrentD, you seem rather anti-gun here on a Pro-gun shooting web page. Where do you actually live since you don't dare list it on your header like everyone else thats proud of where they live. And the firearms they use for deer hunting.
    Now there is stupid for ya.

I live in Iowa by the way. Is that not obvious?

Boolit Master
    What is the difference in a modern smokeless muzzleloader compared to a 45-70 rifle , or a bolt action rifled slug gun with some modern slugs ?

Boolit Master
    That's funny right there. But centerfire rifle is evil.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    What is the difference in a modern smokeless muzzleloader compared to a 45-70 rifle , or a bolt action rifled slug gun with some modern slugs ?
    There is a lot of difference read sandy hook test of 1879

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast