Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

Boolit Master

Iowa moves toward rifles for deer!!!!

The bill is going to Branstad's desk. Granted, it's only straight-walled cartridges, but it's an improvement over the current shotgun slug/limited handgun choices/muzzleloader regulations. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/n...-iowa/99989680/ This will allow us casting junkies to cast AND use rifles. Fortunately I'm already setup with an ideal outfit - my 18" TC Encore .357 Maximum barrel I've been using as a pistol will simply turn into a carbine and continue to sling Ranch Dog 359-190-RF GC boolits at deer.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master

Keep up the good work with your State Rifle and Pistol Association. Indiana went through its first deer-rifle cartridge season last year. Its was a limited portion of the season and with only several bottlenecked cartridges being allowed but its progress. A decade ago they started with pistol cartridges in rifles under the same testing program before going statewide. I'm hoping after this bottle-necked cartridge test is over in 4 more years that they'll open Indiana up to allow hunting deer with rifle cartridges from 6mm and up (I'm still leery of using any 22 caliber rifle on a deer despite what other states allow).
    The irony was that you could hunt a coyote with a .243 in Indiana nearly year round except in deer season when you had to have a firearm that was deer-season legal while in the field...good enough and safe enough to shoot a coyote but not safe to the community if being used to hunt a deer...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent news!!

Boolit Master
    So, whats the history against the restrictions for using a rifle for any kind of hunting in Iowa? Especially deer hunting? I lived in Iowa for several years and never did any deer hunting due to the wide open fields and restrictions on rifles for deer hunting. It was pretty foolish to use a shotgun, even with a rifled barrel to shoot across several hundred yards of open fields. Iowa is mostly wide open farm fields with quite a bit of rolling country that should be safe for deer hunting with a rifle. How did this ever happen? But I was lucky that I owned a farm in Missouri and came back "home" to hunt deer with my 32-40 Winchester 94 rifle. Although many of my friends in Iowa do use rifles for deer, coyotes and other varmits. Like a 7mm MAG? I did read the "Rifle Bill for Iowa deer hunters" posted above and it is obvious that the entire presentation is a political one rather than a safety in hunting one.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 04-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a step in the right direction when lived there I used a Encore 50 ML or a Encore in 460 S&W magnum 15" barrel

I have hear about the bill but did not know what was coming of it till now. Thank you.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Most was political after all. No real knowledge from the start. It still pervades decisions and game departments go against common sense but are over ridden and must obey laws they can't interpret. Those in the field, hunters and biologists know what is needed for the heath of animals.
    Politicians get money from greeny weenies that want to save a bug or worm. All the money on earth will never get rid of any insect. We should feed politicians stink bugs or the snakes that invaded FLA. Why not just kill them. They kill pigs at night now and from choppers since they are destructive pests. Deer are out of control but to shoot one at 200 yards is wrong.
    The world is full of sick people, demoncrats all.

Boolit Buddy
    I am ready, the more tools we can use the better.

Boolit Master
    I suspect the major resistance comes less from "demoncrats" than from urbanites.

Congrats to Iowa if it passes!

Boolit Master
    There isn't a straight wall out there that can carry lunch for any gun in my SML arsenal. If you can get it done with 1 shot SML is all you need. And the SML rifles are part of the reason that CF is being allowed. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I don't know what an SML (short muzzle loader?) is, but I don't see the need for legalizing cartridge rifles in Iowa, straight walled or otherwise. I've never had a problem killing deer here with just a patched roundball, never mind the high-tech shotgun-rifles out there now. Deer hunting is about hunting. Sometimes I think that is forgotten and certainly not a popular perspective.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a very valid point, but I would suggest it has something to do with herd management as well.

Unfortunately only a small percentage of hunters have taken the time to invest in the skill set you have.

Within the limits of reasonable ethics many more can humanely harvest a deer with more modern centerfires, expanding the sport and helping keep the herd in check.

Boolit Master
    It has been well demonstrated that the Iowa DNR can regulate the deer herd with just shotguns, bows, and muzzleloaders. Back in the 1990s I was working with them and the IDOT on deer-vehicle accidents where were spiraling exponentially upwards. In response to public pressure, the IDNR instituted far more liberal doe and bonus tags and the deer population dropped exactly as expected. I was doubtful at the time that they could get more hunters to kill more deer, but they did. Centerfires were briefly legal for a short period but that season (extra late antlerless in only the two lower tiers of counties) was subsequently removed when the populations there dropped below that they felt as appropriate for the politics of the issue. In short rifles are proven to be completely unnecessary for management purposes. And between muzzleloaders (both modern and traditional) and now the high-tech shotguns, they have all the bases covered that straight walled cartridges would cover anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting reply. What do you see as the downside to straight walled pistol rounds being allowed?

The part that gets me is up in the northeast corner of the state when they wanted to do a CWD study . That let them use anything they like to hunt the deer.yes even bottle neck cart. I am for the one they will put into law just another tool to use .but they should of not let them use what they did for the CWD study.I know they wanted numbers,but why go outside of what they had for the regular seasons of what can be use.Also i seen one season that the first shotgun season they did not had any many deer kill because of the weather and they left those that did not fill there tag to do so in the 2nd season.I still will do the early muzzleloader season any ways. Just wonder about the other things.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Over the 20 years I've deer hunted in Kansas, I have seen the state loosen up on deer hunting a whole lot, longer seasons for archery and youth, a completely new segment in October, allowing the use of crossbows and centerfire .22s, etc. A bowhunters page I visit now and then always freaks out like the sky is falling, but pretty sure we have more deer now than 20 years ago, and I haven't seen all the problems those guys anticipated coming to fruition.

My read on it, FWIW, is that a relatively small percentage of hunters take a relatively large percentage of the deer and that's because those are the guys who take it seriously and put the time in and know what they're doing. That isn't going to change regardless of what method or weapon system is allowed or isn't allowed. Slug guns and muzzle loaders are plenty capable deer guns in the hands of a competent hunter. I'm all for allowing rifles, but highly doubt it'll change the deer harvest much. I doubt it'll be a safety issue either, at least away from urban areas, whih is where most deer hunting goes on. What it will do is make things nicer for those of us who like rifles, and that's about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I don't know what an SML (short muzzle loader?) is, but I don't see the need for legalizing cartridge rifles in Iowa, straight walled or otherwise. I've never had a problem killing deer here with just a patched roundball, never mind the high-tech shotgun-rifles out there now. Deer hunting is about hunting. Sometimes I think that is forgotten and certainly not a popular perspective.
    SML = smokeless muzzleloader

Some shoot saboted some sabotless. I'm shooting 200 to 250 grain 40 cal bullets in sabots or 275 to 325 grain sabotless in a 45 SML. mostly getting 2500 to 2800 fps and moa or better accuracy to 500yds if you do your part. The rifles are mostly custom made. Some are based on break action rifles, some on bolters and some on drop block actions. 10

Check out the links for more info:
    http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The biggest advantage I can see, is something like a Winchester 94 is light, and quick handling. That would be a selling point to me.

When I lived back there around 40 years ago, it was shotguns and muzzleloaders for deer. Yet, you could go out with your .30-06 and shoot coyotes.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    It will be nice to carry a 92 in 45 colt.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast