Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Arisaka type 99 cast test

Boolit Master

Arisaka type 99 cast test

So I have been going through my 3 Arisaka type 99s in hopes to get to a CMP vintage match with one of them. The only milsurp I have not given a run at a cmp vintage match.
    Ideally I would want the most accurate but really fun enough for me is if I can get one and a load that will squeak under 4 moa.

Here is my first test with the rifle I have in another thread about its crusty bore

Today I tested what I will call #852

My next rifle up is #150
    trigger pull 7.5#
    best bore in the group except one little sknot at the muzzle end 1:50 right side

I hope to have the test done soon. I need to cast up some more 214299s

In Remembrance

Mac1911,

Do a search on plastic shot buffer used as a filler for cast boolit loads. It has been my experience that shooting rifles like the Arisaka with pitted, loose-tolerance bores that using the PSB buffer will dramatically increase accuracy. It does this by preventing gas blow-by and subsequent leading. I have had excellent accuracy (certainly better than 4 MOA) using Lyman #314299 cast of ACWW with a load of 16 to 17 grains of Alliant 2400, sized at .314 and using PSB to the base of the boolit. Without the PSB I got only key-holes. With PSB, I got 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards from the bench. My T-99 does have a Redfield receiver sight which makes for improved accuracy over military issue. Arisaka bores are all over the place and many vary by a few thousandths along their length. The Chrome-lined ones are often the worst. The design is good, the execution of the design is poor at best. I guess this what one would expect of a rifle made entirely by government workers.

Boolit Master
    Have a Krag with a bore that has pitting in the grooves from chamber to muzzle, but have not had an issue with leading or accuracy with cast. Only shooting light loads (about 1400 fps) with the Lyman 311284 sized at .310 (bore slugs a hair under .309). What does the bore slug and what are you sizing to?

Boolit Master

Mac,

If you lived near me, you could borrow mine. It's got a perfect bore and shoots very well, although I have to use a .316" diameter bullet in it.

Whoops! I just remembered that under the new Washington State laws, if I lent you a rifle without a Federal Transfer and background check, we'd both be fellons. How do these liberals keep coming up with ways to punish law abiding citizens?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I shoot a type 99. Boolit is the noe 316299 sized at .316. I tried quite a few powders and 13 grains of Sr 4756 is the powder it likes. I also have the Lyman 314299 but it drops boolits at .311. Way under size.

Boolit Master
    3rd and final rifle in the line up

doing better and I really think that triangle front sight is holding me back on tighter groups...i just cant see the tip well enough.
    now to work on a few different powder charges to see what happens

drop those flyers and its not a bad group....

Boolit Grand Master

A drop of whiteout on the tip of the front sight might help.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    A drop of whiteout on the tip of the front sight might help.
    Or candle black(soot) if you want to go the other way.

Boolit Master
    I can see it.....just not clearly. When I focus on the front sight I see the first 2/3s nice and crisp and that last little pointy part....not so much.
    I went to the .100" front sight post on my 1903 and a .072" on my AR and really like it. Scores went up also.
    I might try to make a straight front sight post for the arisaka

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Mac1911,

Do a search on plastic shot buffer used as a filler for cast boolit loads. It has been my experience that shooting rifles like the Arisaka with pitted, loose-tolerance bores that using the PSB buffer will dramatically increase accuracy. It does this by preventing gas blow-by and subsequent leading. I have had excellent accuracy (certainly better than 4 MOA) using Lyman #314299 cast of ACWW with a load of 16 to 17 grains of Alliant 2400, sized at .314 and using PSB to the base of the boolit. Without the PSB I got only key-holes. With PSB, I got 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards from the bench. My T-99 does have a Redfield receiver sight which makes for improved accuracy over military issue. Arisaka bores are all over the place and many vary by a few thousandths along their length. The Chrome-lined ones are often the worst. The design is good, the execution of the design is poor at best. I guess this what one would expect of a rifle made entirely by government workers.
    I will be checking into this, thanks. I have the .314 202gr NOE mold and I'm getting shotgun patterns out of my Argentine Mausers and can't figure out why. Also not impressed with the accuracy of them out of the Arisaka, although it isn't that bad. All have decent bores so I hope to get decent results eventually!

Boolit Master
    What load are you using.
    How do the rifles shoot with other ammo.
    How tight or loose are the action screws.
    Stock condition...
    How well do you shoot other guns.

Boolit Master
    back at it and getting closer to match day...

100 yards with 25 grains of H4895 just a bit over 3moa which is not terrible for this gun and bullet. Ther trigger on this rifle is a bit crusty and right around 7lbs. So far I am liking it.
    I will do one more run with 2400 with a few different powder charges just to see...

I was able to drift the front sight a smidge and the last test showed good promise and is centered up much better. I also finally picked up some nice factory brass.

Boolit Master
    Ready for the match on oct 15th

Boolit Master
    well sadly things didn't work out as well as I liked.

I don't know what was going on. Could have been me with the front sight issues or maybe the new brass?
    I was getting a few blasts of gas back through the bolt and some fired cases with soot on them. Im going to guess the new brass is slightly "smaller" than my 30-06 formed cases that have been fire formed and I had some really bad velocity spreads.
    O well it was fun to get it out. I try to shoot all my surplus rifles in a match at least once a year.

Boolit Bub
    My arisaka slugs at .314” I’m using the Lee 160-312 beagled and sized .316” with great results