WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to cast and load for a .357 Mag

Boolit Master

Getting ready to cast and load for a .357 Mag

Ordered a Smith 686 Plus Deluxe 3" and have to decide on my first mold for mag loads. I would like to avoid gas checks, but will go with them if that's what it takes to shoot full house loads. I haven't measured lately, but think that my lead stash is about BHN 12. It seems like 296 is a popular powder for .357 - glad since I have a couple of lbs that I've been using for my .44 Mag.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

I hope you tolerate recoil well. 296 is definitely popular for longer barreled magnum loads but seems like it is a hair slow for a 3" gun. My .357s are all 6" so I may be guessing wrong.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

You will need a harder alloy at least 15bhn for full house loads using 296 or just about any other slow powder.
    Your alloy of 12 bhn should be good to at least 1000 fps with any fast to med burn speed powder. if you water drop from the mould the #12 alloy might be good for any velocity that the 357 mag can produce from light to heavy

I personaly use gas checked bullets for all full loads with any caliber.

My favorite target loads are 4.0 to 4.5 grs of Bullseye or Tightgroup powder @ 800 to 850 fps.

You can use just about any cast bullet from 125 gr to 200 gr , these loads , they have been tested in about twenty 357 mags over the years.

If all you have is Unique try from 5.0 to 5.5 grs for about 850 to 900 fps.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 04-04-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    You cannot go wrong with the Lyman 358156 for the .357 Magnum and the alloy you have (Bhn 12) is perfect for it. I don't download my .357 Magnum. If I want less power, I use a .38 Special +P. The gascheck on the Lyman mould means that you don't have to play around to try to get something to work without leading (when using full power loads). It just plain works.

I pretty much removed all my gc molds from inventory. In a 3", you are looking at about 1250fps max with 160gr bullet. So IMO, 12bhn will probably be fine, if the bullet fit is correct. I shoot that in my 44mags with no ill leading affects. Now I am PC, so even less of an issue. In a sub 4" gun, I prefer 2400 for full power loads to W296/H110. The muzzle blast gets fierce. You will always get the most vel from slower powders but the payback is more blast & flash.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I really like two loads on my 357 with the 4" barrel. One is Lyman's Keith style 170+ gr. SWC and the other is the Lee 125 gr RF (mine drops them at 135). The Lee is for practice at 900-950 fps using Bullseye and the Keith is a working load at 1100 fps with 2400. The Lee at 900-950 is so pleasant and fun to shoot, I almost never use the heavier boolit but maybe if we had feral hogs around here, I might.

Boolit Master
    Used to use 11.5 gr of 2400 under 158 swc in mine ,Elmer's load was 13.5 gr but I'm a wimp.

Boolit Master
    I use 158gr gas checked for full house loaded 357's. Some guys have luck using no gas check, I however havent had that luck. All of my guns require a slightly different size, so a check makes it very simple.

Boolit Grand Master

Getting ready to cast and load for a .357 Mag

The BHN is fine. One of my favorite loads is a MP 359-640 over a max load of H110/W296. I think the BHN of those bullets was around 11. I've switched alloy and since I loaded a lot of them I'm still shooting the old alloy. Shoots great out of a 6" 586 and a Marlin 1894C. No leading and no gas check on that mold. It's a lot more comfortable to shoot out of the rifle

Boolit Grand Master

For full house magnum loads get a bullet that is gas checked. Makes life a whole lot easier.

I have heard the new rifling process S&W uses (EDM) is prone to causing leading until the grooves and lands can be worn smooth. I didn't buy a new model 66 when they came because the testing showed severe leading....cast lead is all I shoot.

So everything might be perfect with your cast boolit loads and you might still get leading, at least with a gas check , it might help.
    I shoot an older model Ruger Blackhawk in 357 and with fairly hot loads 1250 fps , softish WW and Lead 50-50 alloy and a gas check I get no leading .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My pet load in my S&W 8 3/8" is a 158gr SWC, GC @ 1250 fps. No leading with CoWW and a little tin, water dropped. In MY gun it is mild shooting and accurate. In my 2" it is horrible, not controlable and still hurts your hand hours latter. I use book powder loads.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    I like max dose AA#9 in the 357 magnum with a 158 gr cast LSWCGC bullet. Fast, accurate, and pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the RCBS 150 SWC with 6 grains if Unique and the 358429 with 12.5 grains of 2400 in my GP 100, 4". It's my packing/woods handgun. Both are very accurate in mine and are nice easy shooting loads. Arthritis and a long ago broken wrist keep me from shooting my 44s and 45s like I used to. Getting old bites but beats the alternative .

Boolit Master
    2400 is my ticket, no magnum primers.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Since I'm 'poor' after ordering the 686, I ordered the Lee C358-158Swc mold, for now, although I sure would like a Lyman 358156 someday. In fact it should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home, if no one nabs it.

Now to look for an OWB holster...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I have good luck with the NOE 358 160 in full snort loads. Lee 125 rnfp is excellent for light loads and also works well in 9mm.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Lots of suggestions here with faster powder. I think a faster powder would work best with a 3"bbl. I use the 358-156 Lyman with a gas check if I want to push a load. I bought an NOE 195gr SWC mold and like it in a short bbl gun. Slow and heavy!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

One of the most accurate boolits in my 357 magnum Ruger Blackhawk is a 9 mm boolit.
    NOE 358-124-TC-GC , it drops from the mould right at .358 , has a GC and is easy to size .358, a trip through the 450 just lubes and seats the check ( .357 works also, that's what I use in the 9 mm's)
    That bullet over 6.5 grains of AA#5 (Accurate Arms)produced a 15 shot group that clustered in a 1 3/8 inch spread at 25 yards. And I'm half blind and have trouble seeing iron sights !
    I just use the taper crimp die from my 9 mm set on them.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I like the lee 158 rnfp powder coated with 296.

Banned

I shot the 358156 before 296 was thought of. 2400 was my go to powder. You still can't go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast