Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 358439 357 Hollow Point Bullet

Boolit Man

Question Lyman 358439 357 Hollow Point Bullet

Hi All...Does anyone know the nose to crimp groove length of this bullet..??? I don't want to crimp it over the front driving band...so I figure that length will give me the amount I have to trim off my 357Mag cases....No..?? This darn bullet is toooo long for S&W M27 & 28's.....
    Thanks..
    Pete

Boolit Master

Just a thought, but rather than trim off some length on the 357 brass, why not just load using 38 Specials? Saves you from shortening the much more pricey brass that way.

Boolit Master

I get .390 from the center of the crimp groove to the meplate on my 358439. Hope this helps. Nick

Boolit Master

Might try bumping the nose a bit. This will accomplist two things. First, it will shorten the nose length and second, it will start to fracture the nose which will result in quicker expansion./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold

Talking Short Cynlinders in Mod.27's and 28's

Years ago Elmer Kieth noted that this bullet was to long for the mod.27 and loaded as you said,crimped over the driving band,and in .38special cases.Old 38/44 load pre-dating the .357mag.I dont recall the load data offhand but it should be easy to find.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

The 358439 will fit my Ruger GP-100 with just a tad of room to spare crimped in the crimp groove. I had heard the boolit was too long for some Smith's. I wouldn't try loading the boolit in 38 cases unless you stay with 38 special load data. Too easy to get em mixed up. I have 38 specials and a 357.

I'd go with trim the brass idea. Couldn't you load a dummy round crimped in the crimp groove, put in the cylinder then measure exactly how much is sticking out? Then trim the brass accordingly? I wouldn’t think you would have to trim very much off.

I’m pretty new at casting so I don’t know what Beagle meant by bumping the nose. I’ll have to do a search on that unless Beagle comes back and fills me in.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Man
    Hi All..I did some measuring....the nose length on MY bullets is .390" from meplat to crimp groove...I'd have to cut back 357 cases to 1.25" inch..!!!! That is a LOT to cut off....which drastically reduces case capacity and probably would cause a big jump in pressure with normal 357 loads.....powder charges would probably be have to reduced a LOT...but how much..???????Such a dilemma......what to do..????
    Pete

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot this bullet, in solid form, with 11.5grs 2400 in .38 SPL cases. This load could be increased. I think this is the route you need to go, rather than to mess around trimming down .357 cases.