RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Can one Paper Patch for the .220 Swift Cartridge?

Can one Paper Patch for the .220 Swift Cartridge?

I have a chance to buy a pre war Rifle in .220 Swift.

Bore is said to be pristine, and, it would be nice if I could keep it that way! The old Steels tended to suffer with this Cartridge and it's usual FMJ Bullets.

Can one Paper Patch .220 Swift? Not only for fun and accuracy, but to help the Barrel Bore life?

Can and should are two different things. I'd just tone it down a bit to 223 velocity or a bit better and you'll get great bore life and have a lot more fun shooting it.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Can and should are two different things. I'd just tone it down a bit to 223 velocity or a bit better and you'll get great bore life and have a lot more fun shooting it.

-Nobade
    That makes sense...

Okeydoke!

Boolit Grand Master

Have had various swifts for years all modern made They are hard on throats for several reasons. The small bore and heavy charges of powder. The heavy tapered body and shoulder angle also contribute to this. The slower powders used. Loading down helps a lot and saving the 55-60 grn full power loads for when needed greatly extends barrel life a lot. Loaded to 223 velocities with 50 grn bullets around 3000-3100 fps and an accurate load will take most game to 250-300 yds effectively. Pushed up to 4000 fps range is increased another couple hundred yards. Another plus is better bullet performance at the lower velocities. With the 4000-4100 fps Ive had 50 grners come apart in flight.

Boolit Master
    Pretty hot cartridge 220 is. Wanting to P/P? Only two reason why many 220 owners wouldn't do. Cutting patches for. And rolling em up tight ~~ I would tink?

Boolit Master
    I tried pping the Lee .22-55 grain (similar to RCBS 55 grain) and finally gave up in frustration; my hands are too big and the boolits are too small.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Don't frustrate yourself with PP for your little pills in your swift.Simply Hitek coat or powder coat.Lyman 225438 or NOE equivalent I think is a 38 grain hollow pointed at 2500 to 3000 max are obtainable and accurate and devastating with bullet fragmentation. I Shoot the 22 bator in my hornet up to 2300 with BLL and no leading but accuracy falls off above 2000. Hitek seems to clean my barrel as well. Be sure you remove all of the copper fouling from your rifling before testing cast in your gun. My Swift would not hold a zero until I removed all copper fouling and then it will hold a 1" group at 100 yards if I do my part. You didn't say whether you are going to shoot jwords or cast in your gun but cast and coated will increase your barrel life alot. Swift problems with throat erosion and loss of accuracy are usually associated with trying to get the 4000 fps capability of this cartridge. Slow it down to 3800 with Jwords or shoot HP cast coated with Hitek and your barrel will last a lifetime. My Ruger 77V seems to favor the 225438 hollow point at around 2650 and no exit wound on coyotes.