Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw a Woodchuck today

Banned

Saw a Woodchuck today

They aren't real common in this part of Kansas and it's been quite a while since I have seen one. In fact, last time I did it was road killed inside the Manhattan city limits. This one was on the property down the road, the owners have a very nicely landscaped pond with a decorative bridge across it, so I'm driving home and there's this guy standing upright in the grass. At first I thought it must have been a beaver, but it was pretty far from the water when I stopped to look, it wasn't a beaver.

I've never lived anywhere that had them, at least not common. You guys who do are probably laughing at my reaction, but I always thought they were kind of neat critters.

http://www.wildlife.k-state.edu/species/woodchucks/

Boolit Master

Unless you have tractors,barns, livestock,outbuildings or rock/block walls, or hen they are a shoot on sight pest whom leave huge holes everywhere that other critters move into when they move out!

They are good eating and there is a market for the pelt also. If your state let you it is easy to trap them with a 160 conibear.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Unless you have tractors,barns, livestock,outbuildings or rock/block walls, or hen they are a shoot on sight pest whom leave huge holes everywhere that other critters move into when they move out!
    Why do you like them if you have all of the things you listed?

Banned

their skin is a bit tougher than an Elk's.

the Indians on the Rez. in the valley below here would come up through the lava rock valley's and get them in the spring.
    then they would cook the entire animal on the coals of a big fire.

They are common round here, we call them ground hogs however. Anyways, I think they are neat critters myself. I dont shoot them on sight, although I have. I've heard a lot of folks say that a young one is some real good eatin'. I aint ever tried any myself.

Banned

The article I read says they're members of the squirrel family. I mean, I knew they were both rodents but figured that's about where it stopped.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Why do you like them if you have all of the things you listed?
    I'm not a fan of them and shoot them on sight, they leave holes big enough to break an axel

Boolit Man
    They are common in this area. Most farmers will let you hunt them as there holes can injure the livestock. If you wait until June the young are grown enough and come out, also. I've had them come within 10 to 15 feet during spring gobbler.

Boolit Grand Master
    Broke the wheel on my tractor in an unseen chuck hole. Grew up shooting them for farmers. They cause a lot of damage and injury to live stock. We call 'em ground hogs, whistle pigs or woodchucks and have guns dedicated to shooting them. Saw the first road kill today, so it must be time to get at 'em again.

Boolit Master

Did he whistle to you?

Boolit Master
    I grew up east of Topeka and don't remember seeing any of them then. I'm now south of Kansas City on the Missouri side and they are shoot on sight here. They dig up everything and under buildings and just make a mess.

Boolit Grand Master

Their holes are very destructive not only to equipment but also livestock and fields themselves. The holes are near or on ditch banks and with rains the holes wash out becoming much larger. Then they feed heavily on crops ( they love soy beans) following the rows. a neighbor dropped a rear tire of his combine in a chuck hole and pulled the complete axle out from under the combine. Around building they are hard on foundations

Boolit Buddy
    Saw one here the other day running for the woodpile by my machine shed, only see one every other year or so. Thinking if he comes out at the right time again, a 311041 over 28.5 gr H4895 out of a 308 just might do the job.

Boolit Master
    they are cagy little critters. They will climb trees, too. We have a couple of mulberry trees out back, and when the berries are ripe, quite often they climb up to get their pick.

Boolit Bub
    They are terrible. I spent a lot of time putting in wire, iron rods and anything else I could think of to keep them from digging under the slab of my garage. I live in town and can't shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    They are terrible. I spent a lot of time putting in wire, iron rods and anything else I could think of to keep them from digging under the slab of my garage. I live in town and can't shoot them.
    I bet a 25 cal pcp airgun would do the trick and none would be the wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If chased, they tire of it in a hurry. They'll turn on ya with a hiss and barred teeth.
    Lived here for over 50 years before I ever saw one, but now they're in town in ditches and road banks.
    Quiet destructive and a PIA for such a small creature. A sling shot with 000 balls is sure fire medicine for them in town.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Shot one last year a week before Halloween. It is still in Brunswick stew form in the freezer. Still have the pelt too. Saw a big fat one on the side of the road the other day. They must be back out now.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Shot this one about 4 weeks ago.We had a warm spell and that will bring them out.I will shoot 6 or 8 every year just in the yard. 218 Bee T/C Encore MGM barrel 45 grain NOE WFN gas check

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast