MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 12ga handgun

Perma-Banned

Rossi 12ga handgun

How do ya' like this?

Stupid on many levels.

Boolit Master
    Mossberg so bitter about the GCA.... Otherwise the Mossberg "Walking Dead Edition Zombie Apocalypse Mega Death 12ga Pistol" would already be out.

Oh, and as per TBG's excellent summary above.

This looks utterly impractical and absolutely giggle worthy.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

No THANK YOU. Not that young and dumb anymore.

.410 sure, 28 ga maybe, 20 ga I would have to be seriously pissed to pull the trigger.

12 no, not enough wrist for that here.

I can do the same thing with my H&R just not legally. Like I can what Uncle S thinks.
    At least with a longer barrel and a stock you have a chance for that thing not to rear up and come back and knock ya on the noggin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    No THANK YOU. Not that young and dumb anymore.
    You and me both brother!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I fired a 12-gauge pistol grip pump just holding it in a single hand once before. It felt like it destroyed my wrist. This would be even lighter and I would hate to feel what it would do.

I also fired a 12-gauge polymer flare gun with a regular 12-gauge shell in it ONCE. It actually didn't have that much recoil since very few (if any) of the pellets went out the *front* of the barrel. But, yeah, it still kind of hurt, but it was a different kind of hurt...

Not for me, obviously - since only 5 were factory made or authorized. (Aftermarket conversions of longer smoothbore guns are a no-no)

They may be legal in Canada, but in the US, smoothbore handguns are generally illegal.

That said, if they were legally available in the US, I sure wouldn't be a customer for one, anyway.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Here you'd have to make this as an AOW.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Looks like 5 years or $50000 fine, which ever comes first.

Boolit Master

So, *if* you could get a manufacturer to sell you a receiver that had not been designated as rifle or shotgun and then *if* you could get a rifled slug barrel, you could legally build this as a pistol without paying the $200 ATF bribe ... err ... "tax" ... err ... unconstitutional infringement upon our 2nd Amendment guaranteed rights. That first "if" is going to be pretty difficult from what I understand.

One of the problems with typical rifled barrels with shotshells is that it tends to produce donut shaped patterns. A way around that would be to have a rifled barrel in which there was no twist in the rifling. You would still get the rifling marks on any slug that you shot (which is apparently why the ATF wants the rifling), but it would not impart a spin and thus when you fire shotshells in it, you would not have the donut shaped pattern.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    A way around that would be to have a rifled barrel in which there was no twist in the rifling.
    I've wondered by Thompson Center didn't ever raise this option. As I understand it, they built the 410/45 contender barrels specifically for 410 and only rifled them to avoid the NFA issue. If they could have just used shallow and straight rifling they'd be better shotguns.

I recall when I was but a young'n there was a fellow with a bolt action 410 converted to a pistol seem to recall some complaints about recoil but not enough that they wouldn't shoot it. Can't imagine what real world use (beyond sinking plastic bottles) one could make of the 410 pistol, even less possible use for the 12 gauge pistol..... with a scope no less.

For accuracy and pleasure to shoot I would imagine that pistol would be about like slipping a 12 gauge shell into a short piece of pipe then taping a BB over the primer and slamming it hard against something to fire.

Howdah pistol in 20 gauge expresses well the range of a shotgun pistol, something attacking the basket on an elephant you are riding in is in range.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    Taurus and Smith both mm s make 410 revolvers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    For accuracy and pleasure to shoot I would imagine that pistol would be about like slipping a 12 gauge shell into a short piece of pipe then taping a BB over the primer and slamming it hard against something to fire.
    The way you describe that scenario, it would probably be more pleasant to shoot than the 12-gauge handgun in the video. Your description makes it sound like you are slamming it against a fixed object (since you say "against something") and as such, you would not be experiencing the recoil.

Now, if you create a slam fire 12-gauge firearm where you use a piece of 3/4" sched-40 steel pipe for the barrel and a piece of 1" sched-40 steel pipe for the "receiver" (with an appropriate cap / plug on it), it still would not be as bad as the above 12-gauge handgun because the momentum of the moving receiver acts to reduce the recoil that you will feel. Plus, if the recoil is too much for your grip on the "receiver", it just slides out of your hand. That would impart a lot less force on you than the above handgun.

Boolit Master
    So, *if* you could get a manufacturer to sell you a receiver that had not been designated as rifle or shotgun and then *if* you could get a rifled slug barrel, you could legally build this as a pistol without paying the $200 ATF bribe ... err ... "tax" ... err ... unconstitutional infringement upon our 2nd Amendment guaranteed rights. That first "if" is going to be pretty difficult from what I understand.

One of the problems with typical rifled barrels with shotshells is that it tends to produce donut shaped patterns. A way around that would be to have a rifled barrel in which there was no twist in the rifling. You would still get the rifling marks on any slug that you shot (which is apparently why the ATF wants the rifling), but it would not impart a spin and thus when you fire shotshells in it, you would not have the donut shaped pattern.
    Rifled barrel gets you away from AoW, but bore over .50 still requires a sporting purpose exemption to not be a DD.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Not for me, obviously - since only 5 were factory made or authorized. (Aftermarket conversions of longer smoothbore guns are a no-no)

They may be legal in Canada, but in the US, smoothbore handguns are generally illegal.

That said, if they were legally available in the US, I sure wouldn't be a customer for one, anyway.

legal under federal law as an AOW with a 5 dollar transfer fee. State laws may prohibit NFA, mine doesn't if you have a stamp.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    Rifled barrel gets you away from AoW, but bore over .50 still requires a sporting purpose exemption to not be a DD.
    I wasn't sure about the destructive device... They mention shotgun shells in it not being subject to be a destructive device, but I wasn't sure.

On the other hand, you could make the shotgun shell just contain powder and no projectiles and use a barrel that has a .50" bore and hand seat the bullet into the rifling with the blank 12-gauge round behind it. A short section of .50 BMG barrel that has had the first 3" reamed slightly so that a 12-gauge shell will fit into it would work for this. From a practical standpoint though, you wouldn't need the full length chamber for all that powder and could get away with a pretty short 12-gauge shell.

Boolit Master

My 12 ( 72 caliber) does not kick that hard. but then I don't use near as much powder. That's a 1911 on the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0931.jpg 
Views:	2564 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	192580

Boolit Master
    I wasn't sure about the destructive device... They mention shotgun shells in it not being subject to be a destructive device, but I wasn't sure.

On the other hand, you could make the shotgun shell just contain powder and no projectiles and use a barrel that has a .50" bore and hand seat the bullet into the rifling with the blank 12-gauge round behind it. A short section of .50 BMG barrel that has had the first 3" reamed slightly so that a 12-gauge shell will fit into it would work for this. From a practical standpoint though, you wouldn't need the full length chamber for all that powder and could get away with a pretty short 12-gauge shell.
    I keep the NFA handbook on my phone for reference, so I took the liberty of copying the relevant subsection:

2.1.8.2 Large caliber weapons. The second section of the definition states that any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore diameter of more than one-half inch in diameter is a destructive device. This portion of the definition specifically excludes a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. ATF has issued rulings classifying specific shotguns as destructive devices because they have a bore of more than one half inch in diameter and were found to not be particularly suitable forfor sporting purposes.[19]

Ref. [19] is to the Street Sweeper and similar gats. I would pay special notice to the bolded portion though, stipulating that shotguns and shotguns shells are exempted only as the AG finds them to be suitable for a sporting purpose. I suppose you could try to sell it as a hunting firearm, but I doubt it would fly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast