RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have any 327 Henry's shown up yet

Boolit Master
    I finally was able to shoot my carbine today. Fit finish and trigger is acceptable to me. The only function problem I encountered was while trying to catch empties, I had a few case rims slide back under the bolt and jamb the action. I had to pull the bolt back( with the muzzle down the bolt moves forward just enough to trap the case head) to rattle the empty out from under the bolt. I had no other issues with single loading into the port, or from the magazine tube, or with loading and ejection of empties. Now a few negatives! I took a needle file to the outer magazine tubes loading port because the inner tube wanted to grab when pushing it in. I put a very slight bevel to the inside and it's very smooth now. Then the sights, o boy! This is the worst gun I've ever owned where the sights had to be misaligned on the barrel to be accurate. The front sight had to be moved visually off center left and the rear visually off center right to shoot POA at 50 yards! It was shooting about 11 inches to the right from the factory! Great news is that it's lookin like an accurate little carbine! More to come.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Accuracy is what it is all about.
    What is the cast weight you are shooting and at what / about fps ? Is this factory ammo ? With my reloads and varying velocity / cast weight we can walk groups across a target never changing the sights.
    Is the rear sight notch cut in the horizontal center of the blade ? Found one big name rifle that was a ways off to the side.
    Is the dovetail on the barrel cut perpendicular to the barrel ? Slight angle and the rear sight is off to a side.
    Is the dove tail on the rear sight perpendicular to the sight ? Have a "big name" and the rear sight was cut off angle to equal 1/4" offset to the left on the barrel.
    Is the front sight bent ? I have bent more than one off to the side ?
    These are just the sight issues that pop up on "Monday morning" rifles / carbines. It is all about precision cut optical sighting systems.

Now back when rifle barrels were measured in feet the crook of a tree was used to bring the sights on target. Near wanted to pass out when I watched Lizard plop the barrel of a beautiful original flinter into a tree crotch and "tweek" it. But upon assembly it was spot on.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I finally was able to shoot my carbine today. Fit finish and trigger is acceptable to me. The only function problem I encountered was while trying to catch empties, I had a few case rims slide back under the bolt and jamb the action. I had to pull the bolt back( with the muzzle down the bolt moves forward just enough to trap the case head) to rattle the empty out from under the bolt. I had no other issues with single loading into the port, or from the magazine tube, or with loading and ejection of empties. Now a few negatives! I took a needle file to the outer magazine tubes loading port because the inner tube wanted to grab when pushing it in. I put a very slight bevel to the inside and it's very smooth now. Then the sights, o boy! This is the worst gun I've ever owned where the sights had to be misaligned on the barrel to be accurate. The front sight had to be moved visually off center left and the rear visually off center right to shoot POA at 50 yards! It was shooting about 11 inches to the right from the factory! Great news is that it's lookin like an accurate little carbine! More to come.
    My 45- 70 was like that too.... But 11 inches low. I got it adjusted ok but didn't really care for the rear sight. I removed the semi buckhorn and replaced with a Marbles Bullseye rear sight. Then of course I had to replace the front because it was too tall for the Bullseye sight. It's a deer killer now. Very happy.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-27-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Dpmsman;4117258]I picked mine up about a week ago. So far not all that impressed. Fitment of the receiver together and the receiver to the bud stock is not that great. The bottom of the receiver looks like it's installed crooked. The trigger is pretty gritty and stiff. Haven't had a lot of time to test accuracy yet I've only shot it a couple times. I think I will be getting in contact with Henry and send it back.[/QUOTE/]

Just wondering have you contacted Henry and has there been a resolution?

The reason I ask is that I have had a Henry 327 on order since the announcement in January. My local gun store just got one for me. When I went to pick it up it had the same problems as yours apparently all the production models are coming out that way. Didn't know if it has been resolved or not. I will be calling them on Monday.

It puts me in an awkward situation since this gun was ordered just for me by my local dealer. I don't want hard feelings between the dealer and myself if I don't accept this gun.

My dealer has been quite diligent in finding one of these for me and putting up with my constant inquiries about this gun.

Mine is the rifle model.

Thanks
    Downwind

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=downwind;4137218]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    I picked mine up about a week ago. So far not all that impressed. Fitment of the receiver together and the receiver to the bud stock is not that great. The bottom of the receiver looks like it's installed crooked. The trigger is pretty gritty and stiff. Haven't had a lot of time to test accuracy yet I've only shot it a couple times. I think I will be getting in contact with Henry and send it back.[/QUOTE/]

Just wondering have you contacted Henry and has there been a resolution?

The reason I ask is that I have had a Henry 327 on order since the announcement in January. My local gun store just got one for me. When I went to pick it up it had the same problems as yours apparently all the production models are coming out that way. Didn't know if it has been resolved or not. I will be calling them on Monday.

It puts me in an awkward situation since this gun was ordered just for me by my local dealer. I don't want hard feelings between the dealer and myself if I don't accept this gun.

My dealer has been quite diligent in finding one of these for me and putting up with my constant inquiries about this gun.

Mine is the rifle model.

Thanks
    Downwind
    Ok spoke to Henry customer service and they said that they would be in contact with my dealer to have it sent back to them so that they could have their "engineers look at it"

Fingers crossed "

Downwind

Boolit Master
    My father would never buy any new product in its first year of production ,cars etc as there are always teething troubles seems that's still true today.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    My father would never buy any new product in its first year of production ,cars etc as there are always teething troubles seems that's still true today.
    W/ firearms you don't know if there is going to be a second run. I'm like your father no don't buy the first generation of anything, except firearms.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a Henry Big Boy 327 online Sunday. Few brass receivers seen so far and the first one I seen sold. I understand the brass ones are made in New Jersey and the steel at another plant. Here is hoping it is well made as it is very early in the production run. I will keep you posted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I bought a Henry Big Boy 327 online Sunday. Few brass receivers seen so far and the first one I seen sold. I understand the brass ones are made in New Jersey and the steel at another plant. Here is hoping it is well made as it is very early in the production run. I will keep you posted.
    I picked up my new Big Boy steel in .327 2 weeks ago. 20" round barrel 10-shot lever action goodness.
    Fit and finish are what you'd expect from Henry.
    Function is nothing less than outstanding. Slick as a baby's bum.
    It even feeds and fires .32S&W longs without a hitch.
    A low serial number didn't hurt my feelings much either.

Boolit Master

What kind of velocities are you all getting out of the rifle?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Bub
    Here's some velocities for loads I tried in a carbine.

Factory Federal 100 gr 2140.
    Lyman 311316 118 gr 10 gr 2400 1640
    Hornady 100 gr XTP 13.5 Lil'Gun 1770

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rigger View Post
    Here's some velocities for loads I tried in a carbine.

Factory Federal 100 gr 2140.
    Nice, your numbers match these results: www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Friction View Post
    Nice, your numbers match these results: www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html
    Yes the Federal load was right on the money.

Boolit Master
    What 32 long ammo was you shooting? A lever that shoots 327 federal and also feeds 32 S&W longs has my attention. What kind of velocities and accuracy were you getting out of them?

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    What 32 long ammo was you shooting? A lever that shoots 327 federal and also feeds 32 S&W longs has my attention. What kind of velocities and accuracy were you getting out of them?

Ebner
    Believe it or not, I was shooting Aquila .32S&W long 98gr LRN.
    They fed and fired just as well as the factory .327 Federal American Eagle ammunition.
    I was not shooting over a chronograph so I'm unsure of the velocities, but accuracy was great. 1-1.5" groups at 25 yards shooting off hand with factory iron sights.

I've become a fan of Aquila over the past couple of years.

Boolit Master
    The more I shoot mine, the better it seems to be getting! I'v probably put about 300 rounds through it just playing around. I put a tall Skinner blade on the front, ground the rear flush all the way across the top, squared deepened and opened the notch so I get the sight picture I like. I played in the reloading room with some very lite loads 2.3 gr Bulls Eye and a 98 gr swedged hbwc aloxed. Squirrel hunting accuracy with only a step of elevation! I must confess to shooting both boolits and bullets during the last few weeks and it seems to shoot both well, but seems to cooper foul quickly. Just a little update.

Boolit Mold
    One of my local discount gun shops (Anacortes Gun Shop) finally has stock on the 20" 327 Big Boy Steel Henry's. Order placed, I'll have my 327 long gun soon.
    Last edited by Low Friction; 11-02-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I have had a similar experience with the mis-alignment of the sights in order for the rifle to achieve a zero. I've tried different loadings and bullet/boolit weights with no change, rifle shoots 4 inches to the right at the distance of about 35 feet, but it shoot nice groups consistently.

Boolit Grand Master

I finally ordered mine today, can't wait for it to come in. I'm getting the steel frame 16.5" carbine with large loop. Does anyone know what the max cartridge OAL is that will feed in the rifle?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I finally ordered mine today, can't wait for it to come in. I'm getting the steel frame 16.5" carbine with large loop. Does anyone know what the max cartridge OAL is that will feed in the rifle?
    1.53 is about as long as I can get out of mine.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast