Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good day in the casting room before a knee replacement

Boolit Master

Good day in the casting room before a knee replacement

For the first time in a good while I got to enjoy my casting and reloading room. Been busting tail lately getting things done that I won't be able to do for a while after getting a new knee tomorrow and it hasn't left much time for recreational activities. SWMBO pretty much has left me to do as I wished this weekend and I'm very grateful for that. Made some boolits for a friend last night with a mold I have come to loathe, a Lee 358-158 6 cavity. He can barely lift a mold these days so I make a batch and give them to him from time to time. I was running about a 2 out of 3 rejection rate but finally got enough done to hold him for a couple of months. I'll post something about that later in the casting section.

After that I got out an old Lyman 9mm truncated cone mold and thanks to preheating on the hot plate had just 4 rejects (the first 2 pours) out of over 250 boolits. This morning I sized and lubed the .358s and learned that my .355 die had been opened up to .402 and not re-marked. I don't shoot much 9mm and had never needed the .355 die. This morning I alloyed up some metal for my .45 Colt and cast some RCBS 250 FN. The Lyman and RCBS molds were such a joy to use after that Lee! That RCBS drops boolits just by opening it smartly. It works so well that it makes a bunch in a hurry even though it's only a 2 cavity mold. I'll load up some and plink at the range as soon as rehabilitation permits. I love shooting my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It's among my favorite handguns.

It was a very soothing and relaxing way to spend the morning before heading off to the hospital in Lubbock. Not sure if I'll be able to get online from the hospital. Some of the facilities in Lubbock block this social media site as a weapons site. I complained but they didn't bother to extend the courtesy of a response. I'll be back as soon as I can. The iPhone may have to do for a few days.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Blessings tomorrow!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Funny you say that about hospitals or rehab places. I was in rehab for surgery on foot. Couldn't get out to these forums until I got moved to a room with a window. Turned off WiFi and went pure data. Was able to get on after that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Glad you got a weekend to decompress a little and do what you want.

Wishing you the best of outcomes on your surgery tomorrow.
    The enemy of good is better.

Perma-Banned

Glad you got to heat the pot up.

Best wishes for tomorrow and your recovery.

Prayer sent.

Boolit Master

I'm scheduled for one on the 16th.So keep us posted on how it's going.I made sure all my outdoor equipment is tuned and running good.Garden tilled,grass cut and weed eated.2 trailer loads of debris to haul to the dump.I think I'm ready.Every arthritic joint hurts like crazy right now.Need meds.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm scheduled for one on the 16th.So keep us posted on how it's going.I made sure all my outdoor equipment is tuned and running good.Garden tilled,grass cut and weed eated.2 trailer loads of debris to haul to the dump.I think I'm ready.Every arthritic joint hurts like crazy right now.Need meds.
    Best of luck with yours and prayer sent for you, as well.

Good luck with the knee replacement tomorrow. Mine was done 13 months ago. My only advice is to do as much as you can tolerate when it comes to the rehab.

7 knee surgeries,I am a professional at rehab now,TKR two years ago. P.T., pain meds. when you think you have done enough do more P.T. Cryo cuff is your friend.
    One of the best exercises ever given to me from a Physical Therapist was to sit on the edge of the bed with your feet off the ground.Pretend there's a spot on the floor that needs polishing,going slow swing your leg back and forth.Then switch to doing figure eights, do these several times a day.It is a excellent warm up before doing the hard stuff.

Boolit Master

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to the day it doesn't hurt again. Heading to Lubbock now, will check back in as I can.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Best of luck to ya!

When I had my knee replaced it hurt bad at first then down to acking. After a year it just quit hurting at all, even if the weather changes. Now my shoulder is something else. Good luck and do the rehab as dr/tharepist recommends.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Great day and will pray for a completely successful surgery and speedy recovery!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    got mine 11-11-16

DO THE THERAPY....I'LL HURT LIKE HELL , BUT DO IT!

My wife had BOTH done last Oct. She was driving within a month and going to work.
    She started doing exercises before the surgery. Didn't heart that she is one tough old broad! Said with respect.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    I had both done in 2005,six months between opps,it made a new man of me.I am still enjoying the lack of pain.I can recommend the opp to any who are doubtful.Good luck with yours,persevere with the discomfort for a while a light is at the end of the tunnel.Use an Ice pack or a pack of Frozen Peas to ease the initial pain and you will be pleased.I was out Clay Shooting Yesterday aged 80.

Boolit Master

Checking in at the hospital in 45 minutes after an amazingly good night's sleep. Gentlemen, your support and encouragement means so much to me! Thank you all.

David

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you had an enjoyable weekend. Hoping surgery goes well for you. I have had several friends that have this done and all of them are glad that did. A Brother-inlaw had both done at the same time. Another friend had both done, one after another. He says to really push the rehab early on while still on the pain meds. Best Wishes!

Boolit Master
    Good luck with your surgery.
    Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Prayers your way and hoping that your surgery went well and you will soon be on the mend. I used to have an older fellow working for me who had both of his knees replaced at the age of 80 - and believe it or not - he had them both done at the same time! He was a very active fellow and he wanted it over with so it wouldn't "hold him back".

Work at the rehab and you will soon be back to snuff and active again - and feeling much better I'm sure. It sounds like you had a nice relaxing time doing the casting - now relax and heal and do what they tell you. Best of luck and keep us all posted on your progress please. Best wishes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast