MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project MEC's worth it?

Project MEC's worth it?

A guy on armslist has this lot of 5 mecs and various bars bottles etc for sale, one is functional and the rest need parts or are rusty. I am looking to get into loading for shot shells and was wondering if these are worth what he wants for them. How is part availability? Thanks experts.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/744679...shings---parts

Boolit Master

the price is good but you need a lot of time to get them back in shape. if it was me and I had more time than money I'd go for it. the presses sell new for about 3 bills each and parts and manuals are easy to get.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a fabricator, and have a full metal shop here at the house, so restore would not be hard. The price seemed too good to pass on.

Boolit Master

You can probably wind up with 2 out of that. Parts are pretty cheap.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    ebay would get that $$ for 1 press

Sounds good, I had him hold them for me, I guess I will go pick them up and see what I end up with. Thanks for the input everyone.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a little late but I would have said "Go get 'em!" anyway. For the price I don't think you'll go wrong.
    "

Boolit Mold
    ^I agree, good price, a lot of the key parts look to be there. I have an old MEC and bought parts from the MEC site listed above.

There’s even a guy on evilbay that for $50, plus parts, will rebuild them to like new condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

If they are whole and the gauge you want they are good. You can run up quite a lot to change gauge or replace parts.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    If they are whole and the gauge you want they are good. You can run up quite a lot to change gauge or replace parts.
    As I recall, it’s $80 and shipping for a gauge change. I was looking into it and told to just buy another used press in the gauge I wanted!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

That is for a fairly current press, if you want one for a versamec 700 or one of the older 650's they can run more. For something like 75 bucks each I picked of older 650's in 20 ga and another in 28. Only had to replace bottles on one and crimper on the other. They paired up with a 12 ga Versamec 700 I have had since the 80's. Whole any one of the three could go for about 125 bucks on the high end. But to get and convert one could run much more.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

I like it it would be nice if they were all different gauges lol

apparently one of them is in 410. I dont know if it is the complete one or not. I shoot mostly 12, but 20 and 410 also. we will see, I will pick them up tomorrow I think. He also mentioned he has a ton of old components he wants to get rid of. Might be a good score.

He also said he has a ton of paper hulls, which are of no interest to me. Someone here have a hankerin for paper? Let me know, I will try to get some pictures.

sounds like a score

Boolit Master
    Some one better recheck prices. Maybe me. These are 600JR.,they sell for less than $100.00 new. Gauge changes are considerably less than $50.00. Reguardless the OP got a good deal. Would suggest that you get adjustable charge bar instead of a bunch of fixed bars and sleeves. Not worth if you only shoot one or two loads but if you shoot trap.skeet, grouse rabbits woodcocks and an occasional trip to southern MI for phaesants you definately need an adjustable charge bar.

Boolit Master

They're fun to tinker with. I had a guy ship me a MEC Sizemaster for free. I think it was on THR website. He said he was getting ready to put it out by the curb. I paid shipping and he sent it. I have been tinkering with it for a few years now. Needed some TLC and it was up and running. As old as it it and the tinkering I had to do, it still turns out some nice shells.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    you should be posting look what I just bought. not should I buy it.

I have one for 12 gauge it makes good shells. I would like to get one for 20 gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast