Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you guys water quench safely?

Boolit Buddy
    Been a few years since I water dropped. My pot sits on a waist high bench, I sit on a swivel bar stool, keep a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full on the floor behind me with a couple small sponges on top.
    Make the pour, cut the sprue into a box on the bench, swivel around and drop the bullets. Not that much splash and it would have to get through me and fly 3 feet higher to get to the pot.
    Did a lot of 311041 that way for a 30-30 that used to be my beater/ woods bum rifle.

Super Moderator

Yep, it's a problem with the mold. Keep your hands off the sprue plate handle when casting with Lee 6 bangers or you will get out of round boolits! I buy the Lee molds I get from Midway. If there is problems with it they will take it back no questions asked. No matter what some might say, they are still a carp shoot, but to be expected at the price you pay for them I suppose. Not so much for me any more because I know when one is a *** pretty much right away and send it back. Having said all that, I like the Lee molds when I get ones that don't need to be returned or exchanged. I have some really good ones that cast perfectly.

Boolit Grand Master
    A 2 1/2 gal bucket on a stool below and to the right of the casting pot.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I use the top of an old egg carton filled with water for pistol boolits, for rifle I water quench after I heat them in the oven at a controlled temp in a abucket.

Boolit Master
    I use same approach but with a five gallon paint bucket. Get fewer 'misses' that way.

Boolit Buddy
    1 and 1/2'' deep saucepan next to the melting pot. 1 inch water with a cloth on the bottom. Part of the cloth sits above pan level for cooling the base of the mold.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123