Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What exactly do I have here?

What exactly do I have here?

Picked this up from a friend. Total is 36 lbs. The clear plastic tubes have several cast bullets in them, caked with a dry flaky wax. They are murder to get out of the tubes, so I cut one open to check them out. They appear to be black powder slugs for storage & carrying purposes.

Additionally, there are musket style balls in there, plus a couple varieties of projectiles - some round nose hollow base, round nose solid base, solid base conical, etc. There were a handful of really large projectiles he said were BMG bullets but I've never seen one up close myself.

I even got a primer pocket cleaner bit in the mix.

Boolit Master

Looks to me like that's exactly what you have. Someone's black powder projectiles.
    Chances are good that the lead is dead soft.

Can't speak to the 50 BMG bullets, but I bet they'd melt down...

I see some Lee REAL bullets in there. The lubed bullets will make good flux. They are oxidized but look like they were a quality cast when done. no wrinkles or voids, that is also a sign they are good lead. just hand sort them before you melt to make sure there are no live rounds or primers in there. good score

Boolit Master
    The bullets in the tubes look like t/c maxi-hunters. Dang good score if you shoot muzzle loaders.

Well, I don't shoot muzzle loaders / old style black powder guns. But the lead will melt and I did figure the wax would be great as flux.

Are the large bullet projectiles safe to simply throw away? I was told they are explosive in nature, so do not melt or otherwise destroy them. I had planned on tossing them but I certainly don't want the local trash truck to have a bad day. I've got 6 of them.

The one jacketed boat tail bullet shown looks to have been through a rifles barrel already, so I can not imagine it being of any danger.

Boolit Master
    OnceFired, if you are going to toss the 50 cal. jacketed bullets, i would like to have 1

Boolit Master
    All the 50 BMG bullets I have seen are steel core with copper jacket, trying to melt these could result in a steam explosion in a lead pot.
    Best advice is don't do it, voice of experience.

Yeah, I don't plan on melting them. If it's not explosive, I'm just going to toss them.

Boolit Master
    I highly doubt those are API (armor piercing incendiary) or any other type of incendiary bullets. Even if the paint was scraped/worn off, that bullet has already been down a bore once.

That bullet will be a thick jacket over a steel core. Chunk it with no worries of any danger to others, but it makes a nice conversation piece.

Drill and screw an eyelet on one of the 50's and make yourself a plumb bob.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    Typically your miniballs will be soft (most guys shoot as close to pure as possible) as a general rule. The TC bullets in the tube will probably be a touch harder. Most commercial roundballs are swaged. They are soft but are a little harder than pure lead. Overall I would say the lot will test very soft.

Boolit Master

Those .50 cal bullets make a nice hard center punch if they're the AP variety. The bullet base would have a socket hole for tracer compound if a tracer. As it's fired that stuff "should" be gone.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm like DHDeal, those 50 caliber bullets would make a nice conservation piece on the loading table. I have one that I use as a tool to round out bent case mouths on 44 and 45 caliber cases.

Boolit Master
    i gave my nephew a .50 bmg projectile as a souvenir ...he said "that's gonna be on a necklace!"

he thought it was too heavy so he put a torch to it to melt out the lead...it exploded.

no one hurt....he did this without me knowing exactly what he was going to do.