Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: ,38 wadcutters at 3.60?

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok

,38 wadcutters at 3.60?

Have some cast wad cutters. They measure .360 to .365. 125 gr.
    Would like to use them as fart loads with 3.3 be86. Loads will be used in my old model 10 sw.
    I don't have a resizer so is this too big to run?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cartridges assembled with bullets larger than .360" probably will not chamber in your gun.

Easiest way to use them is to get a Lee Factory Crimp die which profiles the loaded rounds and reduces caryridge diameter to a bit less than SAAMI maximum and in so doing will resize bullets by compression inside the case.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Cartridges assembled with bullets larger than .360" probably will not chamber in your gun.

Easiest way to use them is to get a Lee Factory Crimp die which profiles the loaded rounds and reduces caryridge diameter to a bit less than SAAMI maximum and in so doing will resize bullets by compression inside the case.
    Thanks for that tip. I have a set of reddings with a FL die.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 45 acp revolver with tight chambers. Any boolit , cast or J-word , over .451 will not fully chamber. I took all the .452 cast reloads I had made up and resized the rounds in a steel FL sizing die just enough so the rounds would fully chamber. then re applied a taper crimp. Basically resizing the bullet while it was in the case. It's sort of a back-as-wards (say it as one word) way to size a boolit but it worked. I was only going from .452 down to .451. I don't know if going from .365 to .358 ( that's .007) is going to work . I was going to say
    Don't load up too many and invest in a boolet sizer of some sort but I do believe you might be better off getting some proper 38 special .358 sized boolits and save yourself a lot of trouble. Especially if you are not an experienced caster and reloader with a sizer and a few boolit sizing dies between .365 and .358 . Even with going down in size in 2 or 3 steps , the .007 reduction might not work that well.

It sure sounds like those boolits would be perfect for 38 S&W not 38 Special .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
    Thanks for that tip. I have a set of reddings with a FL die.

Redding makes a profile cartridge sizer for .38 Special which I use for separately crimping wadcutters.
    Worthwhile addition to your current die set. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/18...FQcJaQodmUYBRg
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Estate sale. Made me buy all this stuff. Lol. I own 9, .40, .223. Yet I bought a ton of cast pills, and dies.
    Please note I didn't own a .38 or .357. I do now or rather will take ownership in 8 days.
    I mic the cast when I got home. Seems they ate a bit big. I will try the FL die and see how it goes.
    Just going into a old smitty wheel gun.

Dino

Boolit Master
    If those hollow base bullets are the ones measuring .365 you might be fine. Those are swaged hollow base wadcutters. If the .365 bullets are actually cast bullets that is way too big. Even if you owned a sizing die getting them down to an appropriate size would be difficult without substantially deforming the bullet.

Hard cast boolits. .360

.3605 MIGHT be doable, if they chamber freely they should be fine. That's fine as in safe, only the gun can tell you fine as in accurate.

If the knurled hollow based boolits are the .365, just get a Lee push through sizer set. They are very soft lead and should size down just fine, I have personally sized .445 round balls of pure-ish lead to .429 in one step with a Lee push through. Just tumble lube them as directed after sizing with the supplied alox (or make it into 45-45-10 or BLL, recipes for both are easily found here) as the film lube in the knurling will be used up in sizing.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    .3605 MIGHT be doable, if they chamber freely they should be fine. That's fine as in safe, only the gun can tell you fine as in accurate.

If the knurled hollow based boolits are the .365, just get a Lee push through sizer set. They are very soft lead and should size down just fine, I have personally sized .445 round balls of pure-ish lead to .429 in one step with a Lee push through. Just tumble lube them as directed after sizing with the supplied alox (or make it into 45-45-10 or BLL, recipes for both are easily found here) as the film lube in the knurling will be used up in sizing.
    The knurled wc are factory and measure .355. Picture was for reference of the supplies I got from an estate sale.
    Which lead to buying a .38.
    Which leads me here, see if I could just use up the cast.
    Size is close?
    The worst part is NOT buying the Lyman sizer. Smh. Well and a bunch of other stuff i passed up.
    Thank you gentlemen.
    Dino

The sale made me buy one of these. Lol.

Nice now get that Lee sizer they are like $20 I think. .358