Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionPBcastcoLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

View Poll Results: What do you recommend for a first gun?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still the 22

131 61.79%
  • Airguns

39 18.40%
  • Pistol Caliber Carbine

4 1.89%
  • other

7 3.30%
  • Depends

31 14.62%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 22lr still your "first gun" advice?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, Traffer, I do remember.
    "Who was that Masked Man?"
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Depends on what the person being trained is after. Most times even then, I try to start them on a 22 rifle to learn the basics of firearms safety, then move on to what they what to learn.
    I agree with this. For children who are learning initial gun handling, the 22lr. remains my go-to choice, preferably in a single-shot or manual repeating firearm.
    For adults who may have specific rasons why they are adding firearms to their lives, I let their goals dictate what I start them on within reason. The "within reason" meaning, that some people need to start out on much less gun than they think they do.

Boolit Master

Just under 9 months of the new President and Gee 22lr in wal mart and some hardware stores again . the first in the last 8 years.

Banned

pump air guns will require muscle to work the pump. gas filled air guns will still require some adult intervention.

a .22rf will allow well supervised complete control by the child.

bolt actions will be the easiest/cheapest most efficient way to go, and most will allow adding a single shot follower to a detachable magazine. there's a vast array of .22rf ammo in order to tailor to the child's age as well, from the mouse toot aquila colibri, to the cci quiet .22, to the hotter mini-mags.

imho, .22rf is still the way to go for introducing children of all ages to real guns.

I think the .22rf remains the best 1st. gun. 1st choice would be a bolt action single shot or clip fed (a clip fed can be loaded like a single shot. 2nd. choice would be a falling block single shot like the old Ithaca 49.

In '60 I bought a #49 from a pawn shop for $12.00 (the butt stock had a huge chip missing about 4" long).

I amputated the chipped area, slimmed down the fore end & did away with the fake magazine tube. I then added a Marble folding rear & Williams shorty ramp + a gold bead. That gun has served 2 generations of new shooters & a new crop will be ready for it in a few years (it's not as shiny as it was in the '60's, but the kids don't mind).

Henry

I just ran across another one that needs a firing pin. I think I'll keep it full sized...........for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-052S.JPG   MVC-055S.JPG  

Banned
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend any gun for a first gun, but I will always say that a keen shot will do well to have a quality spring powered air rifle in his armoury. Reason being is that all the recoil on a springer comes before the pellet leaves the barrel which makes hold and trigger pull consistency vital. A spring gun is a good teacher and a good trainer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    UKShootist makes good sense and I agree.

In my day Fess Parker was the TV hero playing Davey Crockett, so the first gun I learned to use was a .45 cal. flintlock, patched ball muzzleloader. The flinter also reinforces follow-though and the necessity of wearing safety glasses. Both good lessons to learn early.

My first revolver was an original 1860 Army Colt which happened to use the same round balls I cast for my rifle, so I was a well-armed young man. The percussion cap was miraculous!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Depending on how we interpret the question the answer for me would be "it depends".
    What do I recommend as a first gun - to shoot, to learn, to own?
    As some here have posted, I teach all novices, regardless of age, size, gender, Call of Duty experience, etc... on a .22 LR, typically a revolver. I then move them up to a 22 SA pistol, and then depending on their readiness and comfort level, I go up to a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 Spcl light/medium loads. And, I go from there. When I take them to rifle, it's 22 LR, either bolt or semi.

As to what to buy, that truly depends on their needs and what are they looking to buy for. Though I always recommend they also own a 22 LR of some type to continue practicing.

I have bought a rifle for my 8 YO son for him to learn on. I think we'll make it out to the range this summer. It's a Cricket single shot youth rifle in 22 LR.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Banned

with the advent of the colibri and super colibri .22rf cartridges, there is no need for an air gun. this ammo can be used in an urban household without the need for suppression, too. as such, a .22 bolt rifle can now run the power gamut from air rifle like bullets to super high speed types. couple that with a crickett rifle and there's an excellent low cost young one's introduction to learning firearm respect, safety, and marksmanship fun.

Banned
    My first gun was a daisy. Age 4. My dad gave one to my brother and I. With strict instructions...you can shoot sparrows and starlings but NO Robins. No windows and No people. I never shot any of those...my brother on the other hand shot a robin. The woman next door (widow who watched us like a hawk) saw the whole thing. That dam brother of mine spoiled the whole gig. We got it back several months later though. First real gun was a 1906 version of a Winchester Model 1890. What a dandy gun to have for your first unit. I can still hear the action when I pumped in the 22 shorts. "gallery gun" and the bore showed it. Prolly shot a million rounds. We got that one when I was about 9 or 10. Killed lots of squirrels with it. Then my brother did it again...stuck the barrel in a mud puddle and pulled the trigger to "see what would happen" ...even with a short it cracked the last 3/4" of the barrel. Grrrrrr. Lost lots of the bit of accuracy it had. Then my sister "gave it" to one of her boyfriends who never returned it...sigh. It wasn't considered a valuable gun back in the 60's. Once you get used to a pump 22 you are hooked. I would trade all my bolts and semi autos for a good one now.

Air gun at a very young age.

I agree. We started with shooting BB's into a box trap to teach them how to use open sights.
    Always wear eye protection!

Boolit Bub
    I would say either pellet or 22lr is fine, neither one has any noticeable recoil and as long as fundamentals are adhered to it shouldn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    if you go for an airgun, you need to get QUALITY so it will actually last, and be able to give good service. Good service as, it hits the target, and if put in a rest will put projectiles into a tight cluster down range.

SOME of those most easily affordable air guns will be lucky to put 20 shots into a small mouth mason jar lid at 20 yards.

Quality airguns will be able to do touching holes at that range. But quality costs money. Lots of money. At least 3-4 times what that Crossman will cost.

And you have to figure in the ability to COCK the airgun. Those things can take a lot of force, some list 30-45 pounds of cocking force. Ive seen air pistols that need 40 pounds to cock.

And a lot of those high quality guns need high quality, high cost pellets due to having tighter bores and rifling.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to see the results of a poll, "IS a .22 rifle your ONLY firearm?". I know of no one who would answer this in the affirmative. And, for recreational fun from cans, to paper targets, to need on rodents -- my .22s (I have two in this caliber) surely are worth having. BOTH my sons shot these as their first rifles, too. The low-noise, negligible recoil, and buy-load-shoot availability ammunition add to its appeal. The big "however" to be remembered, is, as a hunter safety instructor we are advised to tell students that the world-wide killing of people caliber (excluding military/war action) is the humble .22. Hence, it commands the respect and safety considerations which are not as requisite for, say, a spring loaded b b gun. Yes, the 22 is my choice of caliber to "learn with" -- including, perhaps, the gifting of said rifle to student for their remembrance and pleasure. My 2-cents on the subject .
    geo

I got a 22 for my 5th birthday, buy the time I was 8 I had about a dozen assorted firearms. Most were given to me by relatives. Army rifles, old shotguns and 22 rifles. These were kept in my own gun case in my bedroom. My old man was keeper of the Ammo. The kicker was, No BB Guns. When
    I grew up was the era of BB gun battles and for a small town we produced several one eyed kids from BB guns. This was no joke. It was nothing to see 10yr olds heading for town limits with 22s or
    shot guns, nobody paid attention to that. I can't rember one gun accident of any kid with relation to
    real guns. If kids were walking down the street with BB guns they would be checked out by the cops.
    My dad had a BB gun for pests that was kept in a broom closet and you didn't fool with it. I got my
    first BB gun for my birthday about 5 yrs ago. My grandkids bought me a Red Ryder as a joke with a
    card saying "don't put your eye out".

Boolit Master
    Started with a 177 Diana air rifle then air pistols then 22 rf.

A .22lr is still my first choice. Air guns are not a good option in my opinion as little ones can not operate them for themselves. I dont load or cock guns for new shooters regardless of age.

Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    A .22lr is still my first choice. Air guns are not a good option in my opinion as little ones can not operate them for themselves. I dont load or cock guns for new shooters regardless of age.
    Generally a father will load and cock an air gun for his own child, especially if the child just received their first BB gun for X-mas and wants to shoot it in the basement.

Come on Dad, be a sport and help teach a kid how to shoot!
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-05-2019 at 11:25 AM.

I’m in the camp that guns aren’t toys, but fun tools. If you can’t operate the tool, your too young.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast