Titan ReloadingGraf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

View Poll Results: What do you recommend for a first gun?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still the 22

75 57.69%
  • Airguns

22 16.92%
  • Pistol Caliber Carbine

3 2.31%
  • other

6 4.62%
  • Depends

24 18.46%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 22lr still your "first gun" advice?

Boolit Master
    Yeah, Traffer, I do remember.
    "Who was that Masked Man?"
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Depends on what the person being trained is after. Most times even then, I try to start them on a 22 rifle to learn the basics of firearms safety, then move on to what they what to learn.
    I agree with this. For children who are learning initial gun handling, the 22lr. remains my go-to choice, preferably in a single-shot or manual repeating firearm.
    For adults who may have specific rasons why they are adding firearms to their lives, I let their goals dictate what I start them on within reason. The "within reason" meaning, that some people need to start out on much less gun than they think they do.

Boolit Master

Just under 9 months of the new President and Gee 22lr in wal mart and some hardware stores again . the first in the last 8 years.

Boolit Master

pump air guns will require muscle to work the pump. gas filled air guns will still require some adult intervention.

a .22rf will allow well supervised complete control by the child.

bolt actions will be the easiest/cheapest most efficient way to go, and most will allow adding a single shot follower to a detachable magazine. there's a vast array of .22rf ammo in order to tailor to the child's age as well, from the mouse toot aquila colibri, to the cci quiet .22, to the hotter mini-mags.

imho, .22rf is still the way to go for introducing children of all ages to real guns.

I think the .22rf remains the best 1st. gun. 1st choice would be a bolt action single shot or clip fed (a clip fed can be loaded like a single shot. 2nd. choice would be a falling block single shot like the old Ithaca 49.

In '60 I bought a #49 from a pawn shop for $12.00 (the butt stock had a huge chip missing about 4" long).

I amputated the chipped area, slimmed down the fore end & did away with the fake magazine tube. I then added a Marble folding rear & Williams shorty ramp + a gold bead. That gun has served 2 generations of new shooters & a new crop will be ready for it in a few years (it's not as shiny as it was in the '60's, but the kids don't mind).

Henry

I just ran across another one that needs a firing pin. I think I'll keep it full sized...........for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-052S.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	204554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-055S.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	204555  

I wouldn't necessarily recommend any gun for a first gun, but I will always say that a keen shot will do well to have a quality spring powered air rifle in his armoury. Reason being is that all the recoil on a springer comes before the pellet leaves the barrel which makes hold and trigger pull consistency vital. A spring gun is a good teacher and a good trainer.
    The lion shall lie down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get much sleep.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    UKShootist makes good sense and I agree.

In my day Fess Parker was the TV hero playing Davey Crockett, so the first gun I learned to use was a .45 cal. flintlock, patched ball muzzleloader. The flinter also reinforces follow-though and the necessity of wearing safety glasses. Both good lessons to learn early.

My first revolver was an original 1860 Army Colt which happened to use the same round balls I cast for my rifle, so I was a well-armed young man. The percussion cap was miraculous!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Depending on how we interpret the question the answer for me would be "it depends".
    What do I recommend as a first gun - to shoot, to learn, to own?
    As some here have posted, I teach all novices, regardless of age, size, gender, Call of Duty experience, etc... on a .22 LR, typically a revolver. I then move them up to a 22 SA pistol, and then depending on their readiness and comfort level, I go up to a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 Spcl light/medium loads. And, I go from there. When I take them to rifle, it's 22 LR, either bolt or semi.

As to what to buy, that truly depends on their needs and what are they looking to buy for. Though I always recommend they also own a 22 LR of some type to continue practicing.

I have bought a rifle for my 8 YO son for him to learn on. I think we'll make it out to the range this summer. It's a Cricket single shot youth rifle in 22 LR.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master

with the advent of the colibri and super colibri .22rf cartridges, there is no need for an air gun. this ammo can be used in an urban household without the need for suppression, too. as such, a .22 bolt rifle can now run the power gamut from air rifle like bullets to super high speed types. couple that with a crickett rifle and there's an excellent low cost young one's introduction to learning firearm respect, safety, and marksmanship fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123