Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: .41 Short Rimfire

Boolit Buddy

.41 Short Rimfire

This Winchester box and the seven "H" headstamped cartridges came with the little Remington when my Dad acquired it from his uncle's estate in 1963, about a year before I was born.

Attachment 192360

I wouldnt have the self control to keep all 7.... I'd have at least...2 emtpies. And probably a few misfires! Neat story, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master
    How old?? Know anything about how it was acquired or from who?

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Spendy, but you can get ammo.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=8248

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    How old?? Know anything about how it was acquired or from who?

Shiloh
    The rib on top of the barrels is marked "REMINGTON ARMS - U.M.C.CO., ILION, N.Y.", which indicates manufacture between 1911 and 1935. My father inherited the little derringer (along with the Winchester box) from his uncle's estate in 1963, and it came into my hands in 2006. I know where it's been for the last 54 years, but regrettably, the previous 28 to 52 years remain a complete mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Spendy, but you can get ammo.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=8248

Shiloh
    I have always wanted to fire the little derringer, even going so far as chambering two of the old cartridges from the box on a few occasions and pulling the hammer back. So far, though, I've always backed out just short of pulling the trigger. I'd like to get my hands a box or two of the Navy Arms ammunition, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on $1+ per shot ammo, especially the non-reloadable kind!
    Last edited by jrmartin1964; 04-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I wouldnt have the self control to keep all 7.... I'd have at least...2 emtpies. And probably a few misfires! Neat story, thanks for sharing.
    It hasn't been easy, but I've been fighting off the urge to pop a round or two through it for a long time!

Personally, i'd buy a box, and shoot a few and keep the rest, as well as shooting a couple originals. I have no self control though.
    Neat story, thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

There was a time in the 50's and into the 60's that nobody wanted those derringers because there was no ammo available. I was in the local gun store one day in 62 and an older gentleman brought in what looked like an absolutely pristine Remington derringer in .41 rimfire in the factory box no less. He wanted to trade it for something that he could buy ammo for easily. They offered him $25.00 in trade but only on retail price of the well used S&W M&P in their showcase. I don't know whether the old man traded with them or not as I left the store. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    The rib on top of the barrels is marked "REMINGTON ARMS - U.M.C.CO., ILION, N.Y.", which indicates manufacture between 1911 and 1935. My father inherited the little derringer (along with the Winchester box) from his uncle's estate in 1963, and it came into my hands in 2006. I know where it's been for the last 54 years, but regrettably, the previous 28 to 52 years remain a complete mystery.

I have always wanted to fire the little derringer, even going so far as chambering two of the old cartridges from the box on a few occasions and pulling the hammer back. So far, though, I've always backed out just short of pulling the trigger. I'd like to get my hands a box or two of the Navy Arms ammunition, but I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on $1+ per shot ammo, especially the non-reloadable kind!
    I think you would be doing that by firing the antique cartridges, or perhaps just putting a dent in the rim to no purpose.

Opinion varies greatly on how effective the .41 Short was, and no doubt we would be glad to hear if you acquire any experimental data. I can't remember who found it a bit uncomfortable firing it at a tree, as it bounced off. But I doubt if the charge was very different from the Lincoln muzzle-loader.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    It hasn't been easy, but I've been fighting off the urge to pop a round or two through it for a long time!
    I have one of those derringers, and picked up a kit (http://hlebooks.com/32rfkit/prices.htm) that uses black powder hand loaded cartridges with starter blank primers. Its fun for a dozen or so shots and scratches that itch for a relatively reasonable cost.