Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Winchester Silvertip 30 cal 180 grain bullets

Boolit Master

Winchester Silvertip 30 cal 180 grain bullets

Hello, I've a quantity of these and was looking for some input as to their performance in the field. Most likely would be used in standard 30 cal rounds, but could be used in magnums also.

Pretty much everything I can find relates to the W-W Power Points or Rem Corelokts for reloading and use.

Are the WW Silvertips a 'hard' bullet or do they work like the previous mentioned softpoints?

30CF

Boolit Master

They perform in a similar fashion to power points and corelokts - I have never recovered one from a deer so can't say as to softer or harder. Someone who has shot an elk or 3 may be able to give a better response. 30 cal Silvertips were mounted on 300 win mags and 300 H & H mags
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...97202130010632

if the slivertips where like these ones(copper jacket with aluminium? tipped bullet) they are an ok bullet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...97202574510391

if they are coated with black oxide and the "sliver tipped" is plastic, then it is a nosler ballistic tip. it is a wonderful deer cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...97202130010632

if the slivertips where like these ones(copper jacket with aluminium? tipped bullet) they are an ok bullet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...97202574510391

if they are coated with black oxide and the "sliver tipped" is plastic, then it is a nosler ballistic tip. it is a wonderful deer cartridge.
    My bad, they are the older aluminum tip copper jacketed.

The old Winchester Silver-Tip with the aluminum cap was a very good deer bullet. It was highly regarded in Texas when they were on the shelves.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I like Winchester Silver Tip Bullets. I have used them on deer in Oregon (.308W factory 150 STs) and they worked perfectly. I have used the 180 STs on elk (also in Oregon) and found them both to be excellent bullets. I managed to recover one of each and expansion was a perfect mushroom. While they are not as accurate as todays bullets all I have used have given excellent hunting accuracy. The Silver Tip was Winchesters answer to the Remington Bronze Point. Both basically protect the bullet tip from deformation in the magazine during recoil and during feeding. A less damaged bullet is more accurate and maintains it's BC better. We see the same today with all the ballistic tip bullets and Hornady's ELD bullets.

I scrounged a meager supply of Silver Tips for hunting in the future. Left are 190 gr .30 cals which were factory loaded in the .303 Savage. I intend on using those in my 24" barreled M94 over LeveRevolution powder for 2200+ fps. The middle box are 150 gr STs obviously for the 30-30 which ill be used over LeveRevolution in my M94 Carbine for 2400 fps. The box on the right are 200 gr .35 cals used in Winchester's factory 35 Remington and 358W. I'll load them to 2500 fps, again over LeveRevolution, in my 35 Rem a rebarreled M91 Argentine with 26" barrel. The 2 in front are from a box of 180 STs which will be loaded over AA4350 to 2750 fps in my 24" M70.

Attachment 197322

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Silver Tips

My brother and I shot several Western Colorado mule deer in our youth with the Silver Tips in 308 and 30/30 rifles. I don't ever recall a failure of the bullet and we enjoyed one shot kills with them.

As Larry mentions above, the aluminium tip protected the bullet's meplat effectively from damage while in the magazine.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, I would think that the 180 could be too much a good thing for NE deer, would be good for bear though. My use would be 308, '06 and maybe in a Mosin.

I was given a soup can full of .30/170fp Silvertips that had been poorly stored. After a day in the tumbler you could see the decay on the aluminum tips was bad. The thing is they were some of the best shooting bullets I've run through my 30-30s.
    Most folks I knew used Corelokts or Power Points in their 30-30s and .32 Specials.
    It will certainly work for deer.

God forbid they should bring them back.....

In Remembrance

The only reason that I`ve heard about them being dropped is cost per bullet was excessive.Robert

Boolit Master
    you mean they were not real silver!! I always kept some just in case a werewolf showed up. now I find out I was under gunned. but they did work on deer.

Banned
    i have silvertips(older version) that were pulled from my 30-40 krag. i don't remember where i put them. my dad has some real old silvertips that are 30-06(factory). i remember shooting some in the '06 but they were inaccurate, i think that the silvertips went 3+/-" at 100 yards.