Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm/.38/.357 LEE mold recommendation(s)?

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way

9mm/.38/.357 LEE mold recommendation(s)?

We just purchased our first 9mm and .38/.357's, a Kimber Micro 9 and a Ruger GP 100. I've been casting for years, but nothing in these cals. Which Lee mold/bullet design would work well for range shooting/plinking/practice for both? I'll get more molds down the line, but I need to stick with one for now.

Thank you for any/all assistance!

I use the lee 358-125 RF in Both and have had good results
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

I'm using the Lee 356-125 2R and having good luck after powder coating. I size my 9mm's at .356 as I was having clambering issues without sizing them after P/C.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/994...2-ogive-radius

Not sure what mold it is, but I also use a 125gr Lee for 9mm, .38 and .357. Works well, but I have to seat them just a hair deeper in 9mm so they don't hit the rifling. The ogive isn't quite as tapered as most 9mm bullets.

Edit - this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170401_125925.jpg  
    Last edited by rondog; 04-02-2017 at 02:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the lee 120 tc standard lube groove with great success in both. I've probably cast 20000 with my mold and it is on it's last legs now. I found this bullet releases a smidge easier than most my other lee molds too.

Boolit Master
    I use a TL356-124-2R.

I also have the Lee TL358 -158- SWC that could be used for both in a pinch. I have the sizers( .356/7/8) so I could whittle the larger down to the smaller if necessary, although it takes away the TL grooves a bit for the smaller size.

If I buy another mold for those 2 types of pistol, it will either be a TC or a RNFT.

G'luck in your choices!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-06-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    +1 Mine is TL though.

I also have the Lee TL358 -158- SWC that could be used for both in a pinch. I have the sizers( .356/7/8) so I could whittle the larger down to the smaller if necessary, although it takes away the TL grooves a bit for the smaller size.

If I buy another mold for those 2 types of pistol, it will either be a TC or a RNFT.

G'luck in your choices!
    Just curious, are you saying you size multiple times, say .357 first then again thru .356?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have different weapons that require different size bullets due to bore( groove) size. {I found this out through slugging barrels & cylinders.} But yes, I have sized from 358 to 357 to 356 to use a .358 cast boolit in a weapon that is slugged at .355. It is easier on me & the press to take a thousandth at a time than to jump 2 thousandths.
    {At least in "my" experience with "my" press/setup. I don't want to be having to "stand on" the press lever. Smooth & easy pressure is what I prefer. I have found that things break when forced. Breakage costs me $$. So making the move two times is better for me.}

BTW, It doesn't remove all of the TL grooves, if you might be thinking that also, as it is only a reduction of 0.002. There is still some groove to hold lube for the length of the short pistol barrels.

FYI...I just started casting "boolits"( although I have been "casting for some time) only recently & my system so far, may not be what others have done, or do. I just know what has worked for me so far. My posts here are based only on that info I have gathered from "doing", not just reading/seeing, & not conjecture. I am still learning. If I post any suggestion on what "I" do, it is because I "have done it". IF I post on something I read/heard/saw, I will provide the source to be verified. Just wanted you & other folks to know this , so I do not seem like some yahoo trying to be a "guru". I am still learning too...
    LOL

But, I want & like to try to help others. So, I post when I think I could help.

Once again, G'luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-02-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The 356-120-TC drops from my 2 cavity mould at .3575. Sized .357 it is the favorite of several 9 mm's.

In the 38 special and mid range 357 magnum I can also load it sized .357 or run through a .358 die (to lube it ) and get exceptional accuracy. You do have to taper crimp it with your 9 mm taper crimp die.

But if I was allowed only one mould this would be it 356-120-TC , sized to .357.
    Gary
    I just remembered about the Lee 358-105-SWC , it's more a truncated cone design, so works well in semi-auto and for plinking and targets it a good boolit , saves on lead and light recoiling in both 9 mm and 38/357.
    I have a walther P-38 , WWII vintage, that loves this one, shots to POI with it's nearly non-adjustable sights.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-02-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added 358-105-SWC
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I understand you asked about a Lee mold, but I would suggest a different manufacturer. The NOE 358-135-FN drops at a size usable in both 9mm and 38 /357 and works much better in the 9mm than the Lee boolit does.
    The Lee was designed for the 38/357 and needs to be seated much deeper in the 9mm case in order for it to function. The NOE was designed for the 9mm but is large enough to work well in the 38/357.
    If you choose a 9mm Lee mold, odds are the boolit will be too small for 38/357(not always but often). The NOE molds drop at the size they are listed.
    The NOE 358-135-FN is very accurate in all my 9mm and 38/357 handguns. It is my go to for accuracy in 9mm.

Boolit Master

shooting/plinking/practice, may I suggest the Lee 358-105 SWC.
    6 cavity makes bullets fast and 105 grain doesn't drain the pot too fast.

Boolit Master
    I use the lee to358-125-2r for all my 9mm' s. It works awesome in all my 38/357 guns as well. Have NEVER had an issue with needing to seat deeper. I even used the same reloads in all my buddies' 9's with no issue. Of course, it works very well in 38 special as well. I've never loaded it in 357 magnum though, as I shoot 357 from a Coonan classic as well as a ruger 77/357 and am afraid the Alex will not get the job done at those speeds.

Boolit Master
    I second the recommendation....the Lee 120 TC #90238 has been the most accurate of any that I've tried in 3 different 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitika View Post
    I've used the lee 120 tc standard lube groove with great success in both. I've probably cast 20000 with my mold and it is on it's last legs now. I found this bullet releases a smidge easier than most my other lee molds too.

Boolit Mold
    I used 115gr round nose on 9 mm, no feeding issues. Our 38/357 I used 125gr, 158gr SWC and had no problem feeding in Rossi 94 lever gun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I guess if I was going to get one for 9mm and .357 mag, I would lean toward something in the
    120-130 gr. range. The NOE 358-135 RF is a good choice, for sure. They actually make a couple, the RD 357-135 and the longer 358-135. I have both, the RD version also works well in .357 SIG.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-02-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Master

I have the Lee 125gr however I much prefer the Lee 120TC for 9mm and the Lee 158gr RNFP (heavier version of the 125gr) for 38/357. I'm going to be testing the 125gr in 357 sig however.

I'd invest in a quality mold. That way you only have to buy once.
    Costs double what a cheap mold costs but it is worth it in the long run.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I'm using the Lee 356-125 2R and having good luck after powder coating. I size my 9mm's at .356 as I was having clambering issues without sizing them after P/C.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/994...2-ogive-radius
    Looking at the picture on Midway I see the mold pins come in from the end of the blocks instead of the inside faces. Something new?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    I use the lee 358-125 RF in Both and have had good results
    Me too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    Looking at the picture on Midway I see the mold pins come in from the end of the blocks instead of the inside faces. Something new?
    That is the old style. My dad has one like that which he bought in the 80's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk