RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Needed in the Milsurp World?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience with a Sako Finnish Guards M28/30 and Tikka M39 is that with good ammo they will stay with my best Springfields and Winchester Model 54 and 70 rifles in 30-'06.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My experience with a Sako Finnish Guards M28/30 and Tikka M39 is that with good ammo they will stay with my best Springfields and Winchester Model 54 and 70 rifles in 30-'06.
    The Finnish really figured those things out.

My starting point was the Finnish Method. Most of what I make are outgrowths of their techniques. They had to cut corners due to war, but I do not.

An excellent example of this is the two-stage trigger I make. I have time to use bearings, so I do. The way it's done is just the natural progression of the M39 trigger.

Regards,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Can you solder the adapter into the chamber ?
    It should still be removable if you do ever find the ammo that you want
    Yes you can. Wet pack the receiver to control heat; tin the adapter, light flux on the CLEAN chamber shoulder, and use regular lead free solder. Propane is plenty of heat and use a dummy cartridge to seat it.
    Better sights for original Mausers comes to mind for a product line. It might keep people from D&T as issued rifles.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Almost every milsurp rifle shoots way too high with most handloads, or even with full power for shorter range shooting. There used to be a fellow that made taller replacement front sight blades for the Finnish M39; a rifle for which front sight blades are easily replaceable with only a properly-sized screwdriver.

There are already taller front sight blades on the market for the Mausers

I could also suggest a reasonably-priced windage-adjustable rear sight for the No.4 Lee Enfield that could replace the issue rear sight without altering the rifle or the rear sight.

Boolit Buddy
    Swiss K31s...

There's a guy that makes affordable ammo pouches for Mosins, a good affordable ammo pouch option for K31 chargers would be sweet now that Northridge is making affordable poly chargers. The Swiss charger is too large to fit most any pouch or bandoleer I've found.

Front sights. We got like no options & most K31s shoot HIGH! Swiss seem to shoot almost entirely at 300m so like you're a foot high at 100... A nice brass blade the end user could file down to his desired poi would be awesome. I'm trying to find a wide blade for oneof my K31s & have someone insert a tritium vial so I can pick up my front post quickly at dusk... Really.

But yeah some cheap ammo pouches for Swiis chargers & a tall front blade would be sweet.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Just some nice sub- $100 milsurps of any kind would be welcome. Those days be gone.......

I like the Steyr M95 idea. My carbine is a great, well made firearm, at a reasonable cost.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Not to mention, but you would probably have the market on the M-95, as no one seems to be making aftermarket anything for them.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Master
    To Invest In accessories To the gun Trade Is Like a Death Sentence.. Not the fact That Your Idea is not Good . but The mind set Of The Gun Owners Lack One Thing Money. They talk a Good Talk. and There with You as Long as It Not not Cost Them.
    There are many Great Idea.Out there . But No Financial support. One comes to mind Vibra Prime. When They went Off the market everyone wanted It. when They came back On No one Purchased Them. Why too costly < Not needed, Excuses . Now You can't Give the away. @ gun shows There $20.00
    Collector will not Buy them, General shooters are Cheap and Hunters Are the cheapest of The lot
    For the past 50 years I have seen a Lot Helping Hands projects. Fall along The wayside for Lack Of support

NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Better sights and a good Pre fit recoil pad would help those M95 Steyrs.

Boolit Master
    salpal48 hit it right on the nose.
    Most purchaces of Milsurps are by persons that take all the money they have at the time and buy the cheapest thing out there.
    They see the collector Specimins and somehow think their rifle comands that price like it is Some Historical Example that is one of a kind.
    Then if they ever get two nickles to rub together, they try to turn it into some super accurate rifle, so they can spare the expense of investing in a good rifle to start with.
    They are the ones who will buy the accesories, like Sights, Scope mounts and any other Bolt on accessory and thinks it automaticly makes their rifle shoot to Olympic Standards.
    The most needed accessories, IMO are the replacement parts to replace original parts, and possibly save some of the surplus rifles and keep them in their original form.

Boolit Master
    I think some taller front sights and interchangable rear sight (easy change back and forth to the original) would work well.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Hi Gents,

These are all excellent ideas.

I'd like to cover something that has not received a lot of attention. The Steyr m95 might just be the best candidate.

Stock parts for milsurps is tempting, but my thing really is making the most of firearms, overcoming quirks, etc.

One thing about the Mosin-Nagant is that most we see here are refurbished. During this process, good used parts and new parts were combined in bins and rifles were reassembled using these parts.

Problem was, they were not hand-fitted. A host of problems ensued and the Mosin got a terrible reputation here.

My work has centered around helping owners, who are not necessarily gunsmiths, make their Mosins run correctly as per the original design, not Soviet rebuild specs.

A correctly fitted Mosin should run about as nicely as a Gewehr 88/05, have the precision of a Springfield '03, and be as precise as tough as an Arisaka.

Regards,

Josh
    I've been wanting a Mosin but I'll be darned if I can find one at a cost that isn't seemingly excessive. Ones with cracked stocks that I have found have been fairly pricey as well. I am not disillusioned concerning that prices do go up but I have yet to grab one and I really want a Mosin...can be ugly, just as long as it functions It is possible I am looking in the wrong places...but I digress.

Thanks to you and all that work in Milsurp as that area is of great interest to me!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I won the Arizona CBA state Military Rifle cast bullet match last year with my M39 Finn MN. Them M1903 shooters were really gnashing their teeth.

Going to give them another run this coming Sunday......should be fun.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 192705Attachment 192706

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Josh,

Not milsurp, but there are two glaring deficiencies with the Kel Tec Sub 2000. One, it's pretty much universally agreed that the rear sight is too short. Two, come up with a flip away mini red dot mount that would allow use on the top rail of the forearm and be able to flip it out of the way to fold the gun as designed.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Late to the party but here is/are my suggestions. Longer bolt heads for the British enfields on the order of a #4 & #5 I can stone them down to fit my Faz #4 MkII. and higher front sight blades/inserts for mil surp rifles. I bought one from Brownells for my yugo M48BO as it shot at least a foot above the aiming point. Granted they were using 150 grain bullets and I was using S&B 198 grain FMJ's. By the way, there was an article in one of the gun magazines and I'm wanting to say either Precision Shooting or Accurate Rifle or could have been one one of the machinist's magazines. darned if I can remember old age and all that. If I remember right he did a whole complete bolt head or trimmed one down and added another section for his particular rifle. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 04-08-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I could also suggest a reasonably-priced windage-adjustable rear sight for the No.4 Lee Enfield that could replace the issue rear sight without altering the rifle or the rear sight.
    Yes---Parker Hale sights are collector's items now. Something simple and relatively cheap ($50) would sell like hotcakes all over the world, not just US but especially in Commonwealth countries like Canada.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    Swiss K31s...

There's a guy that makes affordable ammo pouches for Mosins, a good affordable ammo pouch option for K31 chargers would be sweet now that Northridge is making affordable poly chargers. The Swiss charger is too large to fit most any pouch or bandoleer I've found.

Front sights. We got like no options & most K31s shoot HIGH! Swiss seem to shoot almost entirely at 300m so like you're a foot high at 100... A nice brass blade the end user could file down to his desired poi would be awesome. I'm trying to find a wide blade for oneof my K31s & have someone insert a tritium vial so I can pick up my front post quickly at dusk... Really.

But yeah some cheap ammo pouches for Swiis chargers & a tall front blade would be sweet.
    Don't forget about 96/11 sights, too---simple dovetail, just in a non-standard size!

Boolit Master

Overall, Presdent Trumps admin. needs to throw out any and all restrictions on imports, period. Bring in those M-1s( both) from S. Korea, import whatever the former Easter States have for sale. Russia could supply just about everyone wanting a German K-98, G-43, K-43 and if certain laws are repealed STGs and others. Remember the $29 Mosins?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    A no gun smithing scope base for the K-31. One that actually works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Has to be very low to the axis of the bore and not interfere with the loading or ejecting cycle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast