Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes, kill all you can

Banned
    starmac,

Last Summer in South TX it was said that, "Trees were seeking out dogs."

Btw, do you know about, "sail rabbits"??

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master
    Starmac--

Since you spent a bit of time around the Ft. Irwin area........did you happen to see any of the stick lizards that inhabit Kelso Dunes just east of the army base?

Now, most folks know them as the desert iguana. They make cool pets--we had one that set up housekeeping in a border flower bed along the south edge of our condo in Ridgecrest. His idea of heaven, with all of those blossoms to chew on.

The iguanas that live in the wastes of Kelso Dunes and similar sand hills of the western deserts have a tougher row to hoe, however--especially in high summer. Ground temperatures in the white sands sometimes exceed 150* F, and things are worse on the black craggy basalt near the many volcanoes that dot the landscape. In July, the iguanas leave the basalt crags that sustain them in the cooler months and survive as best they can in the relatively cooler (but still quite hostile) sand dunes of the Mojave.

An adaptation these critters make to their harsh circumstances is unique in the animal world. During their late spring migration from basalt to sand, they locate a branch of brittlebush before entering the dune area and coil their tails around it, carrying it around with them throughout their summer sojourn within the dune fields. If required to run across the hot sands during mid-day, they go for as long as their feet can stand it--then stab the end of the branch into the soil--and climb up the branch to let their feet cool off. With feet cooled, they clamber back down to the sand--seize the branch in their tail--and resume their journey until once again their feet become uncomfortable--when the process is repeated. The iguana travels in this manner until shade is reached. Locals refer to these as "stick lizards". Taxonomy lesson concluded.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Early in my Army career, I swore if I ever got PCS orders to Irwin and couldn't get out of it, I'd slit my wrists. And I meant it. That place sucks 1000% of the time and in every way imaginable. Anything that didn't suck 1000% of the time in every way imaginable, the US government spent time, money and effort to make it suck worse until it met that standard.

I'd rather live in Baghdad than Fort Irwin. And deserts generally don't bother me, I was stationed at Bliss a long time and liked it pretty well.

Boolit Buddy
    richdog66,

The Army was threatening to send me from Europe to some undesignated office job somewhere back in CONUS and when I asked for Ft. Irwin instead, they were happy to oblige. I spent four years there and the three I spent as an OC in the desert were some of the most rewarding of my Army career. The year I spent in the Star Wars building was not any fun but it was still better than whatever pogue job I would have gotten instead.

To bring this back to the original topic of the thread, I saw a lot of coyotes but never shot one.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master
    I do, every chance I get.

Boolit Grand Master
    that bottom one looks like he has mange bad
    you did him a favor
    the middle looks like a nice fur top
    may be a bit of mange as well
    nice lookin fire sticks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    I did not see or even know of the stick lizards, but then I didn't rally spend time at FT Irwin, just hauled a couple of loads in there.

Boolit Grand Master

JDL very nice. What manufacture rifle is the bottom one? I don't know what it is but I like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice rifles, indeed. Nothing makes a day like processing & rehabbing a coyote. (Except home-made cinnamon rolls at Christmas time. THAT is hard to beat). But you get my drift.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Top pic: CZ-527 in 7.62x39 (2004)
    Middle: Husqvarna 1900 in .30'06 (S&W marked) (1970)
    Bottom: Husqvarna 1600 in .30'06 (1958)

Yeah, that bottom one was killed early on a cold December morning. When a friend of mine saw it he said, "You killed a chupacabra."

Boolit Master
    I would never think Of killing Them. Living just above NYC. , we have a lot Of them. In the parks, On the trail. There just about Friendly. Once In while You here They Attack a Dog Or so. . Last Year 2 were sitting On my Porch
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Yes Friendly

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says

October 30, 2009 3:36 p.m. EDT

Up-and-coming Canadian folk singer Taylor Mitchell was killed by coyotes, park officials say.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Taylor Mitchell was at the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park
    • Hikers saw coyotes attack Mitchell and called 911; she later died at a Halifax hospital
    • Park where attack occurred remains closed; coyote believed to be involved has been shot
    • Mitchell was nominated for Young Performer of the Year by Canadian Folk Music Awards

(CNN) -- A rising Canadian folk singer was killed by coyotes this week in a national park in Nova Scotia, a park spokesman said Thursday.
    Taylor Mitchell, 19, was at the beginning of the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when she was attacked, according to Chip Bird, the Parks Canada field unit superintendent for Cape Breton.
    Bird said hikers saw the coyotes attacking Mitchell and called 911. She was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax, where she died about 12 hours later, he said.
    Mitchell was recently nominated for Young Performer of the Year honors by Canadian Folk Music Awards. She was touring the Maritime provinces and had a break between gigs to go hiking Tuesday, her manager, Lisa Weitz, said in an e-mail.
    "She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity," she wrote.

Map: Cape Breton Highlands National Park

RELATED TOPICS

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Weitz said.
    "Her warmth, loving nature, astounding artistry, and infectious enthusiasm will be so missed and forever remembered."
    Read more about who Taylor Mitchell was
    Mitchell, who was originally from the Georgian Bay area in Ontario, lived in Toronto, Weitz said.
    Bird said the area where the attack occurred is popular and well traveled. It remained closed, and park authorities had shot one coyote believed to be involved. A pathologist will test the animal's body for diseases that might have triggered the attack, he said.
    Searches for other aggressive animals in the park continue, he said.
    "Public safety is our primary concern," he said.
    He said no other coyote attacks had ever occurred in the park. "We've had coyotes approach people too closely," he said, and about six years ago one nipped a person.
    That animal was killed because of "lack of fear," he said.
    But Tuesday's attack is "unprecedented and a totally isolated incident," he said.
    In a written statement, Emily Mitchell described her daughter as "a seasoned naturalist and well versed in wilderness camping. She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity. Tragically it was her time to be taken from us so soon.
    "We take a calculated risk when spending time in nature's fold -- it's the wildlife's terrain," Emily Mitchell's statement continued. "When the decision had been made to kill the pack of coyotes, I clearly heard Taylor's voice say, 'please don't, this is their space.' She wouldn't have wanted their demise, especially as a result of her own. She was passionate about animals, was an environmentalist, and was also planning to volunteer at the Toronto Wildlife Centre in the coming months."
    Send your stories, photos of Mitchell
    Michael Johnston, Mitchell's producer for her debut album, "For Your Consideration," said the singer was a "brilliant and beautiful light that people were naturally drawn to."
    "She was so young and talented. Her big dreams were a perfect match with her big, kind heart."
    He said he and his family would soon be organizing a celebration of her life.
    Coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare, said Michael O'Brien, wildlife manager of furbearers and upland game for Nova Scotia.
    It is "not expected or normal behavior," he said, although he said there had been aggressive incidents in Nova Scotia before, but no deaths.
    Illness, injury and familiarity with humans can affect an animal's behavior, he said.

Boolit Bub
    Hmmm. Friendly, that's funny.

We don't hear or see them but the have to be around the MD, VA, PA area. Is it necessary to get electronic calls and all the stuff YouTube and the magazines tell you you NEED? I'd consider it as we don't see or hear them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes Friendly

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says

October 30, 2009 3:36 p.m. EDT

Up-and-coming Canadian folk singer Taylor Mitchell was killed by coyotes, park officials say.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Taylor Mitchell was at the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park
    • Hikers saw coyotes attack Mitchell and called 911; she later died at a Halifax hospital
    • Park where attack occurred remains closed; coyote believed to be involved has been shot
    • Mitchell was nominated for Young Performer of the Year by Canadian Folk Music Awards

(CNN) -- A rising Canadian folk singer was killed by coyotes this week in a national park in Nova Scotia, a park spokesman said Thursday.
    Taylor Mitchell, 19, was at the beginning of the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when she was attacked, according to Chip Bird, the Parks Canada field unit superintendent for Cape Breton.
    Bird said hikers saw the coyotes attacking Mitchell and called 911. She was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax, where she died about 12 hours later, he said.
    Mitchell was recently nominated for Young Performer of the Year honors by Canadian Folk Music Awards. She was touring the Maritime provinces and had a break between gigs to go hiking Tuesday, her manager, Lisa Weitz, said in an e-mail.
    "She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity," she wrote.

Map: Cape Breton Highlands National Park