Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes, kill all you can

Boolit Grand Master

When an area has no or limited coyotes and lots of fox, raccoon and skunks coyotes do hold them down and nesting season survival rate is better. That is not the case in all areas or all types of birds. Coyotes are hell on turkeys year around. I live next to a wild life area. 12 years ago lots of deer, turkey raccoon, pheasant, rabbits and fox but not coyotes. 12 years later lots and lots of coyotes. Limited deer and raccoon. Pheasants are rare and the turkeys and rabbits are gone.

I still read studies that claim coyotes don't kill health adult deer and antelope. Since I have seen both taken repeatedly by coyotes so I know that part is 100% BS.

Boolit Grand Master
    Roger that, M-Tecs.

All too often, some over-educated & under-experienced twenty-something researcher either chasing grant dollars or infused with some idiot agenda will preach and lecture a body of knowledge that utterly flies in the face of my 55 years afield or on the water. That stuff gets OLD--QUICK.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Thank you trapper!
    You are welcome and if there is anything else on trapping ,PM me and I can see if I can help.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In the winter time when the snow is deep and the health deer have a hard time with the snow the coyotes will run them down and take them out.So it is BS that they only take the sick.I seen out here one winter that with the deep snow for the deer and have a hard time to find something to eat .The coyotes was working them over more ways then one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I enjoy hunting them mainly because I am a hunter and enjoy hunting
    the season's on hunting coyote is year around here so I can enjoy my
    passion at any time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I have no empirical evidence just my observations over the last 50 years . What I have observed is the massive loss of small game here in Iowa. When younger it was not uncommon to go rabbit hunting and have all you wanted to carry home in a mornings hunting, now the site of a rabbit is rare. I began to notice this when fur prices dropped to the point trapping and hunting of yotes became a hobby . I hope trapper is in my neck of the woods and taking them out. I will shoot any I see, with anything at hand, no matter the time of year.

Banned

Over the course of my Army career, I got out to Fort Irwin, California a few times (absolutely the worst place in the world) and the coyotes there had all lost their fear of humans, you's see them in the cantonement area and were a reall problem snatching little dogs and cats. Just a matter of time before it was a toddler. We'd see them at the point where we dumped trash at the end of a rotation, darn near as big as a German shepherd and not afraid of anything.

Bottom line, coyotes need to keep a healthy respect for people, so whether they destroy game animal populations or not, and whether I have a chance of hitting it or not, any coyote seen gets shot at. I flushed one a while back in a cut milo field, was probably fifty yards away already when I saw him. Didn't stop me emptying three rounds of #6 shot at him, which did get him to speed up, probably only stung him if any hit him. But that one will know close proximity to humans is a very bad thing and stay away.

Perma-Banned
    yer fightin' a losin' battle. they're like the rats & welfare witches in the big cities, they can multiply faster than the exterminators can get rid of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    yer fightin' a losin' battle. they're like the rats & welfare witches in the big cities, they can multiply faster than the exterminators can get rid of them.
    yes sir alot of truth in that statement
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Bubba.50 is today's hero. Few truer words have ever graced these pages.

RichHodg66--Fort Irwin is one of the BETTER portions of the Mojave Desert, actually--higher up and 7*-10* cooler in the hot months than the Coachella Valley or the adjacent Colorado Desert. I recall many days on patrol with 120*+ temps and 50%-80% humidity around the Salton Sea. Just the climate for wool uniform pants and body armor--NOT!

The areas east and a little north of Irwin have been a favorite hunting haunt of mine for much of my life. Unlike the Ridgecrest/Inyokern area where I lived (2008-2014), where the coyotes get A LOT of calling and hunting pressure and are highly educated therefrom, the East Mojave song dogs are largely unschooled and get little attention from hunters. Dumb as a box of rocks, relatively speaking. I like to take them out to help out the burro muleys that live there, and to lend a hand to the Gambel's quail and chukar partridge that call it home also.

I sure wouldn't mind drawing a D-17 tag this year for those same burro deer.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    I have no empirical evidence just my observations over the last 50 years . What I have observed is the massive loss of small game here in Iowa. When younger it was not uncommon to go rabbit hunting and have all you wanted to carry home in a mornings hunting, now the site of a rabbit is rare. I began to notice this when fur prices dropped to the point trapping and hunting of yotes became a hobby . I hope trapper is in my neck of the woods and taking them out. I will shoot any I see, with anything at hand, no matter the time of year.
    Sorry Brett Ross, I am in the northeast part of the state, away from your end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Sorry Brett Ross, I am in the northeast part of the state, away from your end.
    I live in Iowa also. And I hunt rabbits in the central part of the state and the southern part of the state. Last year, they were thick as flies. This year not so much. They were hardly rare, but they weren't all over the place either. Sweeping generalizations about rabbit population or any other small game are generally pretty far from the mark, and not very useful. People who are actually out there collecting data in a quantitative and objective fashion are the people who tend to know what's actually going on. Armchair biologists, like Monday morning quarterbacks, are a dime a dozen and about as talented.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I never ever shoot them. I can show you a bunch of studies of the good they do for ducks, pheasants, turkeys, and just about any ground nesting bird, game or nongame.

Do you have a shortage of whitetails? Does ANY place have a shortage of whitetails?

Didn't think so.
    Yep.
    Northwestern Wisconsin does.

I have a friend who has hunted that area for years. It was never thick with deer like the central and southern parts of the state, but they used to do pretty good. With a group of ten or twelve guys they'd usually get six or eight deer anyway.

The last ten years or so it's been going downhill, to the point where they can hunt ten guys and be lucky to get a single deer. What's changed? Wolves. Northern Wisconsin has a healthy wolf population now, and they've seriously reduced the deer herd. My friend says they see more wolf tracks in the sandy soil up there than deer tracks.

Further south we have coyotes instead of wolves. They DO take fawns at every chance, and while I've never actually witnessed them taking down an adult deer I have seen them running adult deer on many occasions. I assume at least some of those episodes result in a deer kill.

I know that one of these episodes resulted in a coyote kill, when he made the mistake of running a deer past me at 50 yards while I was squirrel hunting. If anyone thinks a .22 long rifle in the front shoulder won't drop a coyote, see me after school.

I will shoot coyotes at every opportunity, but those opportunities are scarce. Not because we don't have plenty of coyotes, but because they almost fanatically avoid interaction with humans. I believe they are careful about avoiding humans because the local "good ol' boys" cheerfully shoot them whenever they can.

I have read reports of suburban and even city coyotes that become dangerously aggressive, I'd guess because they live in "no shoot" zones. Coyotes without fear of man are not something I'd want for neighbors.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

That would be the same ones like in MN that claimed the moose population decline was due to mites from global warming. It wasn't until one of the local news channels did an in-depth study on moose calves from collared moose. Per their study 50% of the calves were killed by wolves in the first week. The DNR finally admitted the 50% first week kill rate was correct and that infact wolves are a significant reason for the moose decline. When they were pushing the BS big time they never would address why the decline was only in area's that wolves were introduced too.

A large percentage of the state game and fish or DNR's are hardcore tree huggers and rarely are the studies quantitative and objective.

Even if its correct that coyotes have benefits for small game it doesn't change the fact that coyotes are a really problem for sheep ranchers year around and cattle ranches during calving time. It is for that reason I will kill everyone that I possibly can.

Wolves are a good control method for coyotes but they are not something I will ever support.

Same for the people who are out there collecting data in a quantitative and objective fashion for the benefits of prairie dogs push a large amount of BS also. The often sighted study is that buffalo in prairie dog towns put weight on faster than in an area's that do not have prairie dogs due to the fact prairie dog towns have more nutritious regrowth grass. This study was conducted in Yellowstone That part is correct, however, they conveniently down play this only works when you have a few buffalo in a very large area.

Cattle ranches normally are grazing at close to or at maximum carrying capacity. Prairie dogs can reduce the maximum carrying capacity for cattle significantly yet some of the "experts" push the Yellowstone study as gospel to all dumb enough to listen to their BS.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.

I figured they would be too full to chase down deer after eating my chickens...

Coyotes are a hyper animal.They need high protein. I learn that from my 2 coydogs.So jmorris for them to eat the chickens will not fill them it will just hold them up till something else works out for them. When the game warden came to tag my otters the first time to my house he know what the one I had left at the time was.He told me some that shoot some time what they think is a wolf is coydog. but if it looks too much like a wolf they have it check.But I know I do have some wolfs around me .I seen 3 so far for the time I live here since 2001 and had track in the garden last summer and the 2015 trapping season I had a wolf sprung my snare.i seen the foot print in the snow.I call the same game warden about it and told him what it measure to and said it was a good size one. I know too many under estermate them. I joke with some people around here and tell them . do you know why so many people do not like coyotes ,i tell them it is because they do not like a animal smarter then them.

Boolit Buddy
    most every state has a trappers association. that there is a magizine called the trapper and predator caller as well as the national trappers association all you need to do is look them up.most trappers are willing to teach a person to trap.ive taught many ,some who can whip my butt on the trapline.i sterted trapping muskrats with my dad when i was eight,i just turned seventy and the fire still burns to trap! fox are my favorite then coyotes.most people that are just getting started tend to over think things and believe coyotes have super powers but they are just a dog same with a wolf or fox there are certain things that they just have to do.how they hunt how they travel,and how they act when in love.when you learn to trap learn to snare if legal. trapping and muzzleloaders are my drugs!!

Boolit Master

Some do-gooders in New Mexico are pushing a bill to make it illegal to have coyote calling contests. Several game and fish personnel testified that they need all the help they can get to control coyotes, and also said that the coyotes do make significant impact on deer and other game species. Back in western KS the game warden and home office personnel also claim that coyotes make significant impact on deer population, especially during the fawning season.

It is also being recognized that feral cats are deadly on small game and even songbirds. They are not native.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I never ever shoot them. I can show you a bunch of studies of the good they do for ducks, pheasants, turkeys, and just about any ground nesting bird, game or nongame.

Do you have a shortage of whitetails? Does ANY place have a shortage of whitetails?

Didn't think so.
    MN area 115 has a shortage, however yotes and even timberwolves are only pieces of the puzzle. Black bears are also hard on deer and moose calf mortality . I dont think many of us would call for all out bear eradication

In Remembrance
    I don't know of any way possible that one could eradicate coyotes at all.

You guys talking about them at FT Irwin, I think any animal there would lose it's fear of humans if it meant they could get in the shade, lord that place is hot.
    I delivered a load there once, I no more than got parked when I had probably 20 or more birds under my stepdeck with their tongues hanging out, they never moved while we unloaded the trailer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast