RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersPBcastco
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes, kill all you can

Banned
    we have them here in swPA and WV. they are no good. i'd rather have a red fox than a 'yote.

Hybrid offspring of coyotes and wolves have spread south along the eastern seaboard, a new DNA study confirms.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/

The coywolf
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2548350/coywolf-why-are-coyotes-breeding-with-wolves-and-making-wolf-hybrids-videos-photos/

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    I lived in a near suburb to Boston MA through the 80's and 90's there was an area smack in city where three cities were going to build a huge "tech park" of buildings. They cleared the old buildings trees etc., and had huge piles of debris in the clearing. The bottom fell out of the tech market and the place sat for a few years. Ended up being a perfect habitat for coyotes. It was bordered by a little park along the Malden river. I used to go there to pray regularly. After a while the noise of the coyotes was really shocking for being in the city. One day I saw one that was what looked to me bigger than any coyote I had ever seen by a looong shot. Looked like a wolf. Big and healthy. Maybe that was one of these hybrids. I told a police officer friend about it and he said no one was aware of the coyotes. Seems odd with all that howling and screaming.

When I was a kid, 45 odd years ago we never heard of coyotes except for Saturday morning cartoons. We had lots of small game and plenty of hunting opportunities. Once the coyotes moved in small game took a nose dive. They are the worst invasive species we have. I have no love for those things at all. I respect them as a predator but would love to see them eradicated.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master
    Well I haven't seen any here in eastern Va . but when hunting I generally have a few extra rounds with me . We have lost almost all of our wild quail population , I'm not shore why .

Boolit Master

In central Georgia we have lost virtually all the bob white quail population, most of the rabbits; are witnessing a dramatic decline in turkey population and a noticeable decrease in deer in rural areas. Our willfully ignorant (or deceitful, take your pick) DNR prefers to blame it on decreased habitat and fewer hunters instead of acknowledging what every hunter knows: These declines are directly attributable to the huge numbers of yotes to which our game animals have become prey. A statewide substantial cash bounty per head would eliminate these invasive predators.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    In central Georgia we have lost virtually all the bob white quail population, most of the rabbits; are witnessing a dramatic decline in turkey population and a noticeable decrease in deer in rural areas. Our willfully ignorant (or deceitful, take your pick) DNR prefers to blame it on decreased habitat and fewer hunters instead of acknowledging what every hunter knows: These declines are directly attributable to the huge numbers of yotes to which our game animals have become prey. A statewide substantial cash bounty per head would eliminate these invasive predators.
    I love Monday morning quarterbacks.

What data? I don't need no stinkin' data!

Interesting that the proposed solution is always more tax dollars applied by .gov.

Boolit Master

Well Brent I been quarterbackin for better than 50 years in these parts, was here way 'fore the coyotes moved in. Sorta familiar with data too, gotta nice Ivy League of the South education from Furman University and was a stockbroker for 25 years, so yeah, I analyse data for what it's worth. i've seen a lot not worth the bytes to transmit it. As for a gov't solution, no thanks. But they sure need to be the conduit. Why they could offer me a lifetime hunting license if I brought them 10 tails and sets of ears or $250 in cash. Suspect you've never done it but trapping is an expensive proposition these days in gas, money and time. Hunting them is a low yield proposition The state could raise the money voluntarily from landowners I imagine, but only the state has the platform to do so. I caught 8 on our 600 acre property 3 years ago but that entailed 6 - 30 mile round trips after replacing 6 of my old traps from the late 70's that were too rusted up to use. And a lot of work for a 62 yr old fella, my age at the time. It pains me some that my grandson can't have access to the game bonanza I had as a boy, and there's no excuse for it. Unless one think's as you do that doing nothing about the clear and present danger to our native wildlife is a wise course. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I paid enough taxes this week to fund the elimination of a bunch of coyotes.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Coyotes have spread across the country because of hunting pressure. The more you kill, the larger their litters. And when pressured they go into an "expansion" mode. They're an amazing animal in this respect. I don't see bounties wiping them out. It's more likely to have the opposite effect and increase their numbers and range. There is no simple solution for this animal.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Coyotes have spread across the country because of hunting pressure. The more you kill, the larger their litters. And when pressured they go into an "expansion" mode. They're an amazing animal in this respect. I don't see bounties wiping them out. It's more likely to have the opposite effect and increase their numbers and range. There is no simple solution for this animal.
    That is so true i seen it myself for places I trap. I can take out a pack and then in less then a month later new ones move in. The best thing to do is just manage them.Take out the problems ones and then go from there. They are here to stay.I know in the past before i broke my hip the places that I had trap every year that the farmers told me they where start to see some red fox start to how up beside other wildlife.but now I try to manage them for the land owner and remove the problem ones.Also try to take out the main male and female.at lease one of them. then you mess up the pack.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I just spoke to my dad. A good friends of his just had a saddle horse killed by a pack of coyotes. I knew they readily take health deer but I was unaware that they can take horses. I don't have a link to that story but per google coyotes killing horse is not that uncommon.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...orse_from.html

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/en...7657c4d0d.html this one is a mini horse but it still a horse

I have some wolfs around me and there is not as many coyotes around like it use to.it was one time about 4 to 5 pack I could hear on a given time now i am lucky to hear 2 to 3 and they are not as big as they use to be.Some of them are alone.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Watched two coyotes work an elk cow and calf. Pretty soon there's s dead calf. To bad it was on private land that no one can get permission to hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

But if you "believe the experts" coyotes don't even kill healthly deer. I used to believe that BS until actually observed coyotes killing healthy 3 to 5 year old whitetail bucks. Same for antelope.

Boolit Master

For animals that have "opportunistic breeding habits", killing the males doesn't really do much with respect to their long term population numbers. The other males are more than willing to pitch in and take up the slack.

You need to reduce the population of females in order to have any serious affect on the long term population of the species.

There might be some similarities between this and how certain socio-ethnic cultures have a propensity for settling for any "baby daddy" who is not currently in jail. But then again, the idea of questioning the mating habits of certain species is probably not politically correct.

I have not seen anything yet to definitely take the yote population down, except I might have accidentally found a way, bury them in the den, alive. I found a yote den when I was on my tractor and buried it with a bucket full of dirt, then came back in a few days and it was dug out. So I drove around and over to a close by thicket and there was another hole, so I bush-hogged the thicket to the ground and buried both holes, they did not dig out of that. I found a couple more holes and buried them plus buried every hole I saw. In a couple months I saw a few rabbits for the first time in several years.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Grand Master

During the 70's and early 80's when fur price were very high the hunting and trapping pressure put a serious dent in the population. Bounties in the 20's and 30's did the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    During the 70's and early 80's when fur price were very high the hunting and trapping pressure put a serious dent in the population. Bounties in the 20's and 30's did the same.
    At the same time it pushed them into the Eastern US. I can see hunting controlling their numbers but not eradicating them. They aren't wolves which make for big targets in packs. I'm not denying they're a problem in some areas. But I don't see them being eradicated.

Banned
    Show me your BS data on coyotes in Iowa and I will respond with seeing 2 of them in my stockyard pulling on a calf being born as the cow was pushing it out, or one trying to grab a 6 month old puppy 35 ft from my front door. Anyone that is a coyote lover has never had to deal with them Brent D
    Last edited by Blanket; 04-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I live in Las Vegas NV. I am in the far West about 3,000 to 3,500 feet in elevation in a urban collection of homes called Sun City, Summerlin. My back yard has a 20 foot tall cinderblock wall and another 100 feet South there is a heavily traveled two found lane limited access highway. To my West about 1/2 mile is the edge of the Mojave Desert. We have three golf courses in our area. They are infested with rabbits. The neighborhood is infested with rabbits. They are a PITA as they will eat anything green. This includes grass and flowers. We also have tons of Coyotes. When I walk my little Mexican wet back Chichuauha I am packing a 9mm with two extra magazines and a LED flashlight. I used to take him to the edge of the golf course at night but there are so many Yotes out there hunting I am afraid my dog will become yote poop.

Just last week I saw a pair of Wolves at 0550 hrs. They were approximately 100 feet away from my front door and they were eyeing my canine as a snack. I pulled my Browning and chambered a round. They fled the area in an instant.

I have the itch to buy a yote call and go out into their habitat and take out a few but I will not go alone. MY CZ 527 FS in .223 rem should do the job within 250 yds but I also have a 6.5 x 55 Sweede custom mauser that will reach out farther but it weighs a ton. So I probably will use the .223.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast