Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes, kill all you can

Banned

Coyotes, kill all you can

Found this today, very systematic study on their effects on white tail fawn populations.

https://gameandgarden.com/sustainabi...r-populations/

Thanks for the info Rich! Gives me an even greater reason to kill off those coyotes in the property next door!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Coyotes are here to stay now and the more you take out the larger the litters are the next season.If they are manage then you keep the coyotes in check and not only the deer will have a better chance to live but also other wildlife also.This season I got 17 of them trapping. Mainly all males and some look to be old ones. I had 2 that was kick look to by cattle because I get one to 2 a year that show that.I also got one of the 2 this season that someone shot it with bird shot.I was taken BB's out form under the skin.I seen in the past what I had taken a pack out around where I was trapping that about a month later a new pack move in. The write up is so right about them not being hunted and trap due to fur price. but some will not trap unless there is alot of money in it anyways. To me there is a market for coyote from last season and this season .For what it cost for ammo no matter if you reload sell the pelts you will get your money back and then some no matter how much you get for it .For me it is a hobby.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

If I only had someone to teach me....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    I shoot every one I can, 73 a couple of years ago, best kill the pups in June

Banned

I plan to start looking around for dens soon. I'll shot at every one I see with whatever I have on me.

Coyotes are not just apex predators on deer. They can wipe out great numbers of pheasants, nesting ducks also. In my area, farming area, when coyotes move in, far less pheasants are seen during hunting season. I use to hunt a ranch in Wyoming for deer and antelope. The ranch owner had a standing rule, if you see a coyote, you better shoot it or attempt a shot or you may not be welcome back the next hunting season. Needles to say he had a good number of deer and antelope on his 14 thousand acre ranch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    I shoot every one I can, 73 a couple of years ago, best kill the pups in June
    Interisting! why the pups in june?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    The ranch owner had a standing rule, if you see a coyote, you better shoot it or attempt a shot or you may not be welcome back the next hunting season. .

That is a pretty standard rule in the west

Banned

they are just getting out and about right then.
    about as dumb as they are ever gonna be.

Boolit Buddy
    we had two fur sales here in east idaho this year.we had a total of over 2000 dogs. the best went from 70 to over 100 for the top .so it do pay to get them skinned streached and to a fur buyer!

Boolit Master
    I never ever shoot them. I can show you a bunch of studies of the good they do for ducks, pheasants, turkeys, and just about any ground nesting bird, game or nongame.

Do you have a shortage of whitetails? Does ANY place have a shortage of whitetails?

Didn't think so.

Boolit Grand Master

OK I will bite. Please show us the studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    If I only had someone to teach me....
    here is the link to your state trapper http://www.idahotrappersassociation.com/ contact them and ask if there is a class they give on it near you and also find out if there is anyone that you can learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I never ever shoot them. I can show you a bunch of studies of the good they do for ducks, pheasants, turkeys, and just about any ground nesting bird, game or nongame.

Do you have a shortage of whitetails? Does ANY place have a shortage of whitetails?

Didn't think so.
    In parts of western MA that the coyotes took out alot of game because of the crazy laws in that state. They even work on the dogs and cats also.So if they are not manage and uncheck then you will have more problems. I also seen in the past when I was trapping heavier then I am now before I broke my hip the farmers said they seen more wildlife and red fox then they have before.but you need to keep at them and get the old ones out they are the ones that will cause the most problems.The young of the season are not that smart yet but dose not take much to smart them up.So what ever that study was some one did not do a good enough job on it. Also when the wolf move in they will keep the coyote i control also.i see it around where I live now.there are not as many packs around me then there was before the wolfs move in to stay.Also I see more wildlife start to show up also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    OK I will bite. Please show us the studies.
    A bit tricky to do with a cell phone, but here is one of my favorites. Note last two sentences of the abstract.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3809108?...n_tab_contents

Kill them all.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    here is the link to your state trapper http://www.idahotrappersassociation.com/ contact them and ask if there is a class they give on it near you and also find out if there is anyone that you can learn from.
    Thank you trapper!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    I beg to differ with any study that purports to claim that coyotes enhance areas for game bird sustenance. It took coyotes less than 10 years' time to destroy my local mountains' healthy populations of Merriam's turkeys. There are none left. When fur prices collapsed in the early 1990s, hunting of coyotes largely ceased, and the drawdown of turkey numbers began shortly thereafter.

They raise hell with quail and chukar nests in the desert, as well. I am not above staking out the guzzlers in the Mojave at stand-off distance, and whacking the daylights out of the song dogs that patrol them for birds and small animals that go to water. If I can make a safe shot on a coyote, I take it.

That whole Center For Biological Diversity/Stanford University predator-friendly drivel sequence sounds an awful lot like the same trendy leftist mindset that believes bringing Islamofascist savages into Europe and North America yields a benefit to the recipient nations. Logic and common sense scream otherwise, and I trust current "research" in this venue about as far as I can throw a locomotive one-handed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast