Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Coyotes, kill all you can

Boolit Grand Master
    The 223 has done more than half of my coyote-whacking over the years. It will do the job right well. Soft points or hollow points are best, unless you are after fur--then use FMJs loaded down to about 1700 FPS (the Speer Manual used to list loads of this sort for their bullets).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Where we used to hunt P> Dogs, the owner said that last winter after a big snow, he seen a small herd of pronghorn trapped along a fence. The 'yotes held them there and called some other 'friends' to help. They got everyone of them. He hadn't seen any horns since.

Rob

Boolit Buddy
    I had them on the back porch looking into our home!! They watch my kids some times from the dessert behind our home;

The kids like to yell and scream and run around the dirt lot we have ( old horse prop) and the 'DOGS will just sit out there and watch my girls , even had them follow behind me one time when riding the Mt. Bike. maybe hoping I would fall, get hurt... they are super smart and Don't care what any one says = can take a full size man if they choose to!!!

they got into our neighbor's Home ( in Tucson - near center of town area- near Tucson Golf course) to chase down the small dog she had- lady had to beat it with broom and some how it found the Dumb Dog Door and ran back out- LADY does not have door dog now.

We used to have allot more Antelope in N. Az. then they stopped letting folks shoot the yotes from planes- that year ( No new kids where born) all eaten -

Here in San Tan I have 'ONE' looked bigger than German Shepard - and his 6 buddies walking on 'my' ( back yard ) 20 feet from back door makes me want to trap them- or set out C4 with baited strings...maybe excessive but I don't like seeing eyes balls looking in on us at night from the back yard or porch!!

Boolit Bub
    Here in Virginia the Game Dept. Biologists claim that Yotes aren't impacting the Deer population. Of course they are. They have even thinned out the groundhog population. The Yotes have to eat. The coyotes can't "make a living" on grasshoppers year around !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by old woody View Post
    Here in Virginia the Game Dept. Biologists claim that Yotes aren't impacting the Deer population. Of course they are. They have even thinned out the groundhog population. The Yotes have to eat. The coyotes can't "make a living" on grasshoppers year around !!
    So, how do you know? On the basis of what do you make that claim?

Both coyotes and deer exist here in my state and deer populations sky rocketed until the DNR went crazy giving out special seasons and extra tags. Do you know what it means to have an effect?

Game management isn't rocket science, but you really do have to measure a few things, know how those things work and be able to fit them together.

I understand how fashionable and PC it is to bash science, but what have you got that is better?

We got a year round open season here on coyote.That is what will work.Also since the low fur price. Not many wants to go after them.Some parts of the country dose have a better price but that is in the western states.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Brent, yotes are not native to the eastern seaboard....what don't you understand about invasive- that is- there is no natural place for them here in the ecosystem predators? There is no natural check on their population growth. They have literally consumed the quail and most of the rabbits. Turkey polts can flop to a low hanging limb at a very young age and are faring better but also in significant decline. I have been in the woods more than my share since I was 9 yrs old or 53 years. That's science of a sort, however anecdotal. Outside of the urban/ suburban areas which of course have grown, The rural areas are virtually depopulated compared to my youth. Fewer farmers and country folk as equipment efficiency has dramatically improved. In south ga picot irrigation indeed dereased habitat as hedgerows and wet weather areas disappeared but in the large swath of central ga. from Augusta across the state along the fall line to Columbus there is actually increased habitat with fewer folks per rural mile. Everything but coyotes that is.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

Import some of our mangy coyotes and you will have the est population control. The pups don't survive and the adults don't survive the cold.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Grew up with coyotes here in Texas , some counties paid a bounty . My county gave $5.00 for a set of ears in the 60's . You had to take them to the court house .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Brent, yotes are not native to the eastern seaboard....what don't you understand about invasive- that is- there is no natural place for them here in the ecosystem predators? There is no natural check on their population growth. They have literally consumed the quail and most of the rabbits. Turkey polts can flop to a low hanging limb at a very young age and are faring better but also in significant decline. I have been in the woods more than my share since I was 9 yrs old or 53 years. That's science of a sort, however anecdotal. Outside of the urban/ suburban areas which of course have grown, The rural areas are virtually depopulated compared to my youth. Fewer farmers and country folk as equipment efficiency has dramatically improved. In south ga picot irrigation indeed dereased habitat as hedgerows and wet weather areas disappeared but in the large swath of central ga. from Augusta across the state along the fall line to Columbus there is actually increased habitat with fewer folks per rural mile. Everything but coyotes that is.
    Invasive? That is irrelevant, because I never said they were or weren't invasive. I asked YOU what evidence you have of them regulating game populations of anything? And you have none.

We have all the same prey species here as you have in Georgia. And we have coyotes. We had ZERO deer in the 1920s, now they are coming out our ears. Ditto for turkeys and pheasants. Squirrels and rabbits are still abundant. And coyotes have been here all along. Dang, how did that happen? The answer is that a lot of predation and that includes predation by humans, is compensatory. Thus, prey populations can grow even with predator populations. Look at NE Minnesota's deer population in the 60s and 70s and then now. And that happened in the face of a growing wolf population. Predator-prey dynamics are tricky - not rocket science tricky but more than armchair tricky.

So, no, being in the woods for decades in not science. Wish it wase, but it isn't, never was.

I've lived in the woods for as many decades as you. I live in them nearly every day. I'm in the woods right now. For quite a few years, I lived in the woods in Georgia and then South Carolina as well. Wildlife biology is my gig, my profession. I know what it takes to back up a claim like yours and you don't have it. More than likely, your game birds, in particular, are benefiting substantially from coyotes and would be considerably worse off without them.

But back to the invasive issue, I'll say that coyotes are not invasive. They walked into Georgia on their own, like nearly ever other species of wildlife in Georgia did. They just happen to have done it far more recently. Coyotes are basically backfilling where red wolves used to be. They would have been there earlier, but it has taken some time for the SE to go back to forests from the farmlands that it was until late in the 20th century. But as the region has been reforested, coyotes have been quick to realize the opportunity and make the best of it. They fit in just fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    when the world lies silent there will remain the coyote
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    when the world lies silent there will remain the coyote
    What the coyote will have eat then, or even now, if game populations are so depressed as some claim?

I think it will be the cockroach that inherits the planet in the end.

Well if I'm still on the planet I'll kill every coyote I can and same goes for cockroaches then too. Coyotes are fun and challenging critters to hunt. This is a great time of year to hunt them too. The weather's decent and the 'yotes are hungry. Plus the deer fawns are gonna drop soon so the coyotes seem easier to call with a fawn decoy.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345