Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Howard Arms 32 S&W repair or not

Howard Arms 32 S&W repair or not

I recently inherited a Howard Arms top break 5 shot 32 S&W revolver. Pistol was inherited from my Father and before that from his Father.
    The pistol is in fair condition. Except, the grips are cracked and there is obviously a spring broke as it does not function.
    Is this a candidate to repair and use or a wall hanger.
    Barrel and cylinder is clear and clean. Minimal surface rust.
    Not sure if replacement parts are still even available for this. I have not disassembled it to determine what is broken.

So, worth fixing or not. Also, would it be safe to shoot if repaired?
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Boolit Master
    Many Of Those top Breaks are Nice Looking but if there broken . Not work Repair. All grips Have to be Fitted If you can find a set. . And the universal trigger return spring and not worth to pay. . I have quite a Few. but There not worth much. In working Order. $50.00
    if you want for personal Reason is something Else
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Wall hanger. Even if it was in pristine condition I'd hesitate to shoot it. Put it in a shadow box with a few old photos and call it good. Let your grandson worry about shooting it when he inherits it.

Boolit Master
    gun parts corporation has some parts. even if you get it working again as others have said make a display case and hang it on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was given one that is pretty much in "well rusted, almost functional relic" state. It has been so long since I looked at it I have forgotten exactly what is wrong; it seems like it had a problem cycling, maybe from rust build up inside.

I thought about firing it, but chances for accuracy are nil, you can see a spiral pattern it the rust, but that is about it. If I were to load for it, I think I would use a single O buckshot as the projectile; the cylinder is very small and does not inspire confidence.

IIRC they where built for a hardware store in Chicago, I could not find out who built them.

My vote is make a wall hanger out of it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    First point, if you had one in like new condition, it would would still pale in comparison to modern firearms in design, metallurgy, strength, reliability, sights, safety etc...

Second point, hobbies are for fun. It's play for big people. You don't have to justify your expense, time, effort or results. Those are how you measure work.

If this little gun piques your interest, pull it out of the toy box and play. Tinker and tease it into firing a few shots will probably put a bigger grin on your face than runnning a couple of magazines through your polymer wonder gun. If not, play with the wonder gun. They're fun too!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I was given one that is pretty much in "well rusted, almost functional relic" state. It has been so long since I looked at it I have forgotten exactly what is wrong; it seems like it had a problem cycling, maybe from rust build up inside.

I thought about firing it, but chances for accuracy are nil, you can see a spiral pattern it the rust, but that is about it. If I were to load for it, I think I would use a single O buckshot as the projectile; the cylinder is very small and does not inspire confidence.

IIRC they where built for a hardware store in Chicago, I could not find out who built them.

My vote is make a wall hanger out of it.

Robert
    Who built them ? I would guess IJ or H&R. it was quite common years back if somebody had a large orders for pistols they would stamp any name you wanted. Good example is Sears and Wards guns Good wall hanger.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    Who built them ? I would guess IJ or H&R. it was quite common years back if somebody had a large orders for pistols they would stamp any name you wanted. Good example is Sears and Wards guns Good wall hanger.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, but they don't really look like any of the IJ or H&R models I was able to find pictures of. I do think they were made in America because I saw no signs of proof marks, but mine was so rusted I can't really say for sure.

Robert0

Banned

I have a thing for top break revolvers for some reason. Bought a little Iver Johnson .32 a few years ago because it was the first one I'd seen that wasn't either beat all to pieces or way overpriced (payed $75 out the door). I have other .32s and had some short brass around, though all my other guns were Longs of H&Rs.

Anyway, turned it it loaded just fine, a Lyman 55 throws 1.1 grain of Bulleye very accurately every time and an 85 grain RN slug worked fine.

If it was mine, I'd shoot it. I'd proceed very carefully, but I'd shoot it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have a thing for top break revolvers for some reason. Bought a little Iver Johnson .32 a few years ago because it was the first one I'd seen that wasn't either beat all to pieces or way overpriced (payed $75 out the door). I have other .32s and had some short brass around, though all my other guns were Longs of H&Rs.

Anyway, turned it it loaded just fine, a Lyman 55 throws 1.1 grain of Bulleye very accurately every time and an 85 grain RN slug worked fine.

If it was mine, I'd shoot it. I'd proceed very carefully, but I'd shoot it.
    Yep. the 32 short will bounce off a piece of oak at 20 feet. Might be able to kill a rat or small birds if close enough.

Boolit Master
    Guess it would depend on the 32 short load. I bought some remington factory, they were considerably hotter than safe reloads for an old S&W breaktop.

Howard Arms, revolvers made for Fred Bifflar& Co. , by Meriden Firearms Co. Which was a company in Meriden, Conn. From 1907-1909
    I would wall hang it.

Banned

If nothing else, prime some brass and make some wax loads for indoor shooting with it.

Do any of JB Woods' repair books cover these?
    He cut his teeth, on among other things, these old top breaks.
    I'd try to fix since it's 'family'!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    If nothing else, prime some brass and make some wax loads for indoor shooting with it.
    +1 to this, great idea.
    If it were me (and speaking from experience) I would get it into working order and shoot it. Some of those old guns are black powder only, so think on that. I find it fun to have these projects to help me learn new things. Check out Numerich or Bob's gun parts or eBay for parts. Or load up some grits and make some anti-bee rounds.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt