MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: neat looking 30-30 cartridge

Boolit Master

neat looking 30-30 cartridge

Yesterday I barreled a vz-24 with a long 30-30 barrel already chambered when I got it. I knew it would need to be turned shorter because of claw but I had to see what a detonated cartridge would look like with the deep chamber. I put a full power load in because I wanted it to blow out against the walls and fired it. I can not down load pics here but it was about 3\16th longer body and it almost looks like a miniature 300 weatherby. All fun must end and it now is fit properly but I kept the cartridge for laughs.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    30-30 Ackley Improved?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    30x7-30 Waters maybe ? Sounds different.

Kind of reminds me of a bbl I slugged at .277x.284 . Accuracy was non-existent after a couple of loads . So I measured a fired case neck ..... .302 . Yeah no chance in any world of that working out ever . Best chance of success for that bbl would be a 308 groove in 300 Gibbs or maybe WM . The shoulder was to fat for a standard AI .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    30-30 Ackley Improved?
    yup, just waiting for another rebarrel job to finish then I will rent a improved reamer.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    And the VZ24 feeds the 30-30???

Boolit Master
    Yes and almost....you gotta learn what the gun will do. I have done alot of different cartridges in vz's because I got a bunch of them many years ago. I have never altered the rails. Play with differant followers and make some of my own but no changing rails. For this cartridge it must be kept back all the way when loading and of course keep rims (whats left of them) stepping front. I turn the rim to fit the claw and rotate freely on bolt face. My marlin336 still works fine with the altered rims. First cartridge off follower on right side works perfect just work bolt smartly(not slow). The second round coming off left side of stagger is the bugger. I always use a 2 stroke push on that side. when the bullet starts entering the barrel stop and back up ever so slightly and then go front. I sometimes will pull the bolt pack till I can be sure cartridge is on claw. Single stack will work perfect and that is my preferance on military rifle conversions. You only have to work with one angle. This is not for every body but for us that like to tinker, if you can put a rebarrel on the gun yourself surely you can figger out how to get it to work the best it will. Still nothing feeds as good as original cartridge for gun. But I have some 30-30's that I can load the snot outa em!! I am not trying to make a 308 out of them just play till they say uncle!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Yes and almost....you gotta learn what the gun will do. I have done alot of different cartridges in vz's because I got a bunch of them many years ago. I have never altered the rails. Play with differant followers and make some of my own but no changing rails. For this cartridge it must be kept back all the way when loading and of course keep rims (whats left of them) stepping front. I turn the rim to fit the claw and rotate freely on bolt face. My marlin336 still works fine with the altered rims. First cartridge off follower on right side works perfect just work bolt smartly(not slow). The second round coming off left side of stagger is the bugger. I always use a 2 stroke push on that side. when the bullet starts entering the barrel stop and back up ever so slightly and then go front. I sometimes will pull the bolt pack till I can be sure cartridge is on claw. Single stack will work perfect and that is my preferance on military rifle conversions. You only have to work with one angle. This is not for every body but for us that like to tinker, if you can put a rebarrel on the gun yourself surely you can figger out how to get it to work the best it will. Still nothing feeds as good as original cartridge for gun. But I have some 30-30's that I can load the snot outa em!! I am not trying to make a 308 out of them just play till they say uncle!
    Luckily, I don't need a 30-30 that is not a Lever
    I can load a 308 down to "cat sneeze" easily, and no Feeding issues whatsoever...But, as you say tinkering is a respectable Passtime.. Have ya some fun..

It's not real hard to make it work with standard 30-30 Win. It will mean more tinkering!
    A 30-30 Ackley would be cool for sure.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I am shooting as it is but the neck is tighter than specs say it should be but that will go away with the improved reamer. So far it shoots decent but not what I am hoping it will do when I have it all figured out. The barrel on this one is new from the Savage 24 in the the 30-30 configuration. Long (24 inch) and skinny so it is also light weight. The vz with out scope weighs 6 and a half pounds. Handles great! I saw your 95 and congrats on a nice little unit you put together. I have a 95 but that one became a 300 savage.
    Look twice, shoot once.

A bolt action .300 Savage is fun. The .308 guys don't understand,though.
    I barreled a Czech/Turk 98/22 in it using a Browning/Sako pencil barrel(.308) rethreaded and chambered for .300 Sav. My nephew has that light delight.
    Best, Thomas.