Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: The 30-06 at 2000 fps

Cool The 30-06 at 2000 fps

I know this is a popular combo with you folks and this is where I want to go. The back story: I have a brandynoo Vanguard in '06'. My boolit of choice is the Lee, 170gr, .309" pc'd and gc'd. I broke it in with 7grs of Titegroup at +/- 1150 fps. Those were fun. Then I went up the scale with 38-40 grs of H4895 at about +/- 2350-2450 fps. The rifle is doing well with those also. I've shot over 50 rounds of these and the bore is still shiny clean. A good test for boolit fit and the durability of the Harbor Freight red pc. (shake n bake) Now I want to head back down into the 1900-2100 fps range and get serious about developing a good load for corn crunchers using this boolit and the 4895. Using this reduced load calculator;
    http://www.handloads.com/calc/reduced.asp
    Data says I should be in the 30-35 gr range. So, is any body loadin 30-06 and the 170's in the 2000 fps range with 4895? What say the collective?

I have something close-ish. My M1 cast load is a lee 312-185 with 36 grains of 4895. The chrony says they go 2093 fps. So that range of 30-35 sounds right to me. Maybe closer to 30 than 35.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    How's the accuracy? I use the same bullet in my M1, but round about 1900-2000 fps the accuracy goes to hell
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPanda View Post
    I have something close-ish. My M1 cast load is a lee 312-185 with 36 grains of 4895. The chrony says they go 2093 fps. So that range of 30-35 sounds right to me. Maybe closer to 30 than 35.
    Thanks, I have an m1 also. I know a lot of guys are shooting cast in theirs but I'm a bit hesitant at this point. One thing at a time. I'm just getting started in casting here and I only have the lee 170 mold/sizer to work with and for all I've read so far .309" may be a bit small.

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    How's the accuracy? I use the same bullet in my M1, but round about 1900-2000 fps the accuracy goes to hell
    Acceptable, but not stellar. 3-4" at 100 yards. I was more concerned with function than much else. Down at 34 grains I was getting an intermittent failure to lock open. Never had any trouble with the 36 grain charge.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm having good luck with 35 grn. of IMR 4895 under a Lee 150 rnfp PC'd and gas checked. It's a bolt gun so no function issues. Getting 2" @ 100 Yds with the random flyer once in a while.

CC

Boolit Master

36 grains of either 4895 for me under a 311299 or 312299 boolit. Just enough to operate my Garands and decent accuracy. Shoots well out of my 03-A3 as well.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master
    Award for Most Fun Cast Bullet Load/Rifle Division--30-06, Lee 200 grain @.310", lubed with Carnauba Red......60.0 grains of WC-860 (50 BMG milsurp powder), 100% density......Fed 215 primers. Case make(s)--all commersh. 2050-2100 FPS, healthy recoil, very satisfying BOOMY report, and 1-3/4" to 2" groups at 100 yards. Too much fun, and casting these as soft points might do OK for deer hunting to 200 yards.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I use a heavier bullet than you do, but I still find 1850 to be the goal for best accuracy in my Garands and 1903s which have a 1 in 10" twist. That's the standard twist rate for the old war horse. Do you know the twist rate in your rifle?

My preferred load uses a 200 to 210 grain (311334 or 311299) over 36 grains of 4895 for 1850 or so fps over the chrono screens for the Ought Six. It varies a bit with different rifles. Accuracy is excellent out to several hundred yards and the holds well to past 600 yards on calm wind days. The heavy bullets will perform better than lighter bullets at the longer ranges due to the increased length and ballistic coefficients of the projectiles and you can shoot 'em just as fast out of the muzzle as a lighter bullet without pressure concerns at cast bullet velocities.

The Garand's 1 in 10" twist can limit your velocity levels for best accuracy to some extent. Were I smart, I'd probably rebarrel one of my Garands with a slower twist barrel to see how well that would do with cast bullets. At any rate, that seems to be why my Garands and Springfields all shoot best at between 1,800 and 1,900 fps.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-08-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I use a heavier bullet than you do, but I still find 1850 to be the goal for best accuracy in my Garands and 1903s which have a 1 in 10" twist. That's the standard twist rate for the old war horse. Do you know the twist rate in your rifle?

My preferred load uses a 200 to 210 grain (311334 or 311299) over 36 grains of 4895 for 1850 or so fps over the chrono screens for the Ought Six. It varies a bit with different rifles. Accuracy is excellent out to several hundred yards and the holds well to past 600 yards on calm wind days. The heavy bullets will perform better than lighter bullets at the longer ranges due to the increased length and ballistic coefficients of the projectiles and you can shoot 'em just as fast out of the muzzle as a lighter bullet without pressure concerns at cast bullet velocities.

The Garand's 1 in 10" twist can limit your velocity levels for best accuracy to some extent. Were I smart, I'd probably rebarrel one of my Garands with a slower twist barrel to see how well that would do with cast bullets. At any rate, that seems to be why my Garands and Springfields all shoot best at between 1,800 and 1,900 fps.
    The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard. The twist is 1/10"
    http://www.realguns.com/articles/399.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    When using charges approximating those asked about using H4895 either orient the powder or use Dacron, you pick which.