MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 356637 147gn in 9mm.

Lyman 356637 147gn in 9mm.

I kno there are other mentions of this on the forum but I have a question for those of you that load this bullet.

Most of the threads I've seen about this mold talk about how the users are getting bullets that weigh around 157-158gn out of this mold that is supposed to be 147gn.

All of mine are also between 157-158 gn

my question is, this bullet is specifically listed in the Lyman manual and there is plenty of data but do you guys use those posted loads with this bullet being 10gn heavy?

I see power pistol seems to be the choice powder but that is one I don't have.

Do any of you have loads (9mm) that work well with this bullet being 158gn and do you seat to the depth in the Lyman manual?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8469.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	192240

Banned

your gonna have to seat to where they feed and chamber in your gun.
    base your starting load by where your oal ends up.
    if it's a bit longer than lymans then start with their start data.
    if you seat deeper or the same then drop the start data and go from there.

but you gotta start at the feed/chamber part or you get a nice single shot jammomatic to work with.

Boolit Master
    I seat for my guns. Its rare it works out to what a book says. So long as your not going shorter than lyman data your not going to run into issues with pressure.

That's what I was thinking but I'm loading for 4 different pistols. I guess I'll have to find the one with the tightest chamber and load for that one.

I know the OAL in the Lyman book will work with all of them because it's pretty short. I was just a little cautious about even using the starting load with the bullet being 10gn heavier.

i figured there had to be someone here that had tried it.

Boolit Master
    Using an alloy different from Lyman #2 will result in different weights. Your alloy is probably closer to pure lead and lead weighs more than tin and antimony. I'd try to figure out what the longest OAL wil chamber and function correctly in your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Using an alloy different from Lyman #2 will result in different weights. Your alloy is probably closer to pure lead and lead weighs more than tin and antimony. I'd try to figure out what the longest OAL wil chamber and function correctly in your gun.
    I just checked them with the Saeco hardness tester and they are pretty soft. It's interesting how they are testing around 6bhn and the ones I powder coated are testing around 13bhn.

im using 1 to 2lb fishing sinkers for my lead and the last 2 batches I tested was around 13bhn. I guess I'll have to mix up something different.
    I have tin and antimony to add, I just have to do it.

Banned

if you check the book they might have even used lino-type.
    I wouldn't get too worked up about a specific BHN number but an alloy of about 3% antimony should be a big help here.

I used to count on fishing sinkers being super soft lead but I just don't know anymore.
    home made stuff, tin sinkers, and the whatever we can get that's heavy has snuck in on even them.
    I know my biggest competitor for ww's was a company making dive belt weights back in the day.
    they were driving down over from Oregon and down I-15 hitting up every shop within about a mile either side of the freeway and working their way down to almost central Utah.
    then looping back up north along the I-15 corridor and across Washington.
    I learned to swing out wider than that pretty quickly and got a good share myself.

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO stay away from that bullet it was my first mold and it was a disaster. It has to be seated so deep it bulges the case,it leaves no powder room,and it gets stuck in barrel regularly. NOE makes a far superior 155gr mold. Oh dont even think about the devestator hollowpoint.

Boolit Master
    I tried this mould probably not long after it was introduced and used wheelweight alloy; bullets weighed 157 grs. As-cast bullets were .357" and shot poorly. Using a harder alloy might have increased diameter enough to provide better accuracy. I don't recall any feeding problems. I've found, so far, the obsolete Lyman RN .38 Special #358212 (about 150 grs. WW) makes the best bullet for 9mm handguns.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the posted loads but I don't start at the maximum listed.
    I might have to seat boolit deeper, depends on guns throat and with the extra weight ( and this is not uncommon) I will start in the middle , halfway between max. and min. , if I want it faster I work up slowly. I usually stay below the max. loads listed in 9 mm.
    I also was not enamored with the accuracy either , I have found the 120 and 124 truncated cone designs to be best.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"