Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 9mm and 45 ar platforms

Boolit Master

9mm and 45 ar platforms

What do you guys have and what do you like/hate about them; we've been looking hard at a psa 9mm lower that takes the Glock mags and I've been thinking on a 45 raptor as well ;fun,training and home defense will be the roll of I build one! The 9mm especially with a can just seems like it would be a smile producer ,more fun than a guy should be allowed to have!

Boolit Master

I have an ATI carbine in 9mm. It will get a suppressor as soon as the Hearing Protection Act passes. It is a lot of fun.
    Pros: Takes a lot of AR accessories, including upgrade triggers; comes with top-grade forearm and buttstock; uses Glock mags; ready to shoot out of the box, no assembly required.
    Cons: Doesn't lock open at last shot (typical of the breed); cost as much as a brand name full size AR in .223; no sights included, which on the other hand means you don't have to pay to replace factory sights with what you really want.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 03-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It seems like a rip off to be able to get an AR in .223 for $500 but 9mm is double that. I will be building my first AR (.223) in a couple of weeks so one option is to build it myself.

I have been wondering if there is a way to do a group buy on them. I would get two if the price was right.
    Don Verna

I have a PSA 9mm bolt and two Spinta Precision 9mm bolts that were cosmetic blems. Side by side the Spinta bolt is nicer. It is an ounce heavier, it has two key bolt v/s one on the PSA, and the Spinta has a smoother finish. They both have the ramped cut for use with a standard hammer. Spinta has a blem bolt listed at $109 and a standard one for $129. http://www.spintaprecision.com/9mm-n...er-group-sale/ Then whatever lower you want to use, a barrel, hand guard, standard upper with a 9mm port door and you're in business. If you use a standard lower with magwell block you need to use a heavy buffer. JSE surplus is also a good source of 9mm parts http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar9mm.aspx If you've got a lathe you can make your own barrel pretty cheap from a $35 Green mountain gunsmith blank. For grins I even made a couple gas operated 9mm uppers 7-8 years ago, but that's another can of worms. Here's a 9mm barreled upper I recently finished (needs parkerized) from a Green mountain blank and extras out of the parts bin.

I don't have a Raptor, but I do have a 44x1.8" on an ar10 that is pretty close to it, and a 44x1.6" on an ar15 that is not too far behind a 450 bushmaster. I like having 444 Marlin performance from the AR10, but it is a heavier gun. The smaller ar15 shoots fairly flat out to 150yds and I feel confident with it out to 200yds. It is also a couple pounds lighter, but for treestand hunting it makes little difference.

For a 45 I'd contact Ron Williams. Not cheap but prob the best and it's a DI not blow back gun , he been making them for a number of years and knows his stuff . http://www.rmwxtreme.com/#top
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm only just looking down this rabbit hole. I don't have any interest in a Direct Impingement AR or really one in an intermediate caliber but with the glut of AR parts on the market right now the idea of building a bare bones PCC out of AR parts appeals to me.

The question is whether I can beat the price of a Keltec carbine, if I can't then I'm out. If I can on the other hand...

Boolit Grand Master
    The Kel-Tek has had its problems if you shoot a lot of rounds through it. I had one and it was accurate enough for close in work. But being a blowback action, my girlfriend had trouble retracting the bolt. Mine took S&W magazines and the 33 round ones were not reliable - about 50% ran OK.
    Don Verna

If I were going to purchase a 9mm AR right now (and I most likely will in the next year or two), I'd buy a PSA (or PSA upper and lower).

Banned

ive got a cmmg 9mm and its a great ar15. Totally reliable and feeds anything. That said I agree with the other poster that said its crappy that they cost about twice what a 556 AR costs.