RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning buckets

Boolit Man

Cleaning buckets

I just scored 20 buckets from a local sandwich show for $1 apiece with lids. Problem is they had pickles in them and smell horrible. Does anyone know how to get the pickle smell out of a bucket? I plan on storing clean brass in them and don't want the brass to tarnish cause of the vinegar.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a baking soda and water mix?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Good luck my MIL likes to reuse jars and the pickle jars I give her smell like pickles for ever and thats glass. Although the smell is probably from the lid.

The smell probably doesn't matter as long as you neutralize the acid.

Boolit Man
    If all I have to do is nuetralize the acid, I'm thinking xdrob might be right. Maybe baking soda and water would do the trick.

Seems to be some good ideas here:

http://ask.metafilter.com/198621/How...t-pickle-smell

Sounds to me that filling them with water and a couple of cups of baking soda over night, then rinsing and leaving them open in the sun for a few days is a possible answer.

Nice score, by the way. I decided a couple of weeks ago that 5-gal buckets with lids is probably my best storage solution for brass as well. Just trying to find them on the cheap, because I'm cheap.

Boolit Man
    Thank you Jeff, I will try that over the weekend and see if it works. I'm really hoping I can get rid of that smell. Is it weird that I would rather smell hopes cleaner than pickles? Lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    Maybe a baking soda and water mix?

Exactly. I have plenty of 5g pickle buckets from a restaurant. that's what I did.. water and baking soda, a little in each. swich around, let set an hour, switch around, let set an hour.. etc. only takes a tablespoon full in each bucket, and about a gallon of water. just do the swish n set thing for a day inbetween other chores. then rinse and allow to air dry. 90% of the smell should be gone.

Boolit Buddy

I use 2 gal buckets I got free from the cookie shop at the mall. they sill smell like Butt-R-Cream though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass buckets.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	192195
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

Try your local Sam's club bakery, I got a half dozen with lids for free, doesn't cost anything to ask. They get pre made icing in them. Maybe your grocery store with a bakery. There is also a pizza place near me that sets empty gallon glass and plastic jars with lids behind there store for free. I like the plastic ones for brass for obvious reasons.

wcp4570

blue dawn dish detergent and vinegar cleans as well as bleach does. you can use it on everything and dilute it.

i use it to wash out baby bottles for my kids. keep it in a spray bottle and 1 spray per bottle removed old nasty milk ( like then a bottle disappears for a week ) and

i mix 1 oz dawn to 4 oz vinegar , then fill the rest of the 32 oz spray bottle. it makes a bubbly lather for scrubbing. its wonderful and cheap. ( and not toxic ) i use it for deodorizing my mayo jugs for brass bullets ect....
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    I get my buckets free, from the bakery at a local supermarket. The caveat is that I have to wash them out of old frosting. BTW, if you read the ingredients they use, it will scare you, it's mostly some kind of hydrogenated oil.

Years ago, I picked a nice ice chest out of a big pile of "treasures" being abandoned by a student who was moving out of a rental house. This guy had been a fisherman, and the ice chest had been used to hold fish. It really smelled rank, and washing didn't get rid of it. I wadded up enough newspaper to completely fill it, closed the lid, and set it in the sun for a few days. When I dumped out the paper, there was no trace of the smell left. That was years ago, and I still use the ice chest. Still no smell.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Another good bucket source is sheet rock mud if you stop by a job site they will be glad to give you the buckets and lids. The mud will wash out with water even if its dry just soak it you will still need to hand wash to remove it all. The lids snap back on nice and tight and stack well.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

seems like there is always some good resources out there if you just give it some thought and check around. I am all about repurposing things to save money.

Boolit Master
    I use kitty litter buckets. With 3 cats we have quite a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkonopka View Post
    I just scored 20 buckets from a local sandwich show for $1 apiece with lids. Problem is they had pickles in them and smell horrible. Does anyone know how to get the pickle smell out of a bucket?
    I would expect you wouldn't notice the pickle smell if you used them like this, without a liner for awhile first.

Boolit Buddy
    Gotcha on that one,😂😂😂

Boolit Master
    Use some trash can bags as a liner.

I use the big barrels from Mt. Olive pickles for corn feeders. They go to the car wash on high suds setting and then get rinsed at home.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    I use 2 gal buckets I got free from the cookie shop at the mall. they sill smell like Butt-R-Cream though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass buckets.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	192195
    couldn't do it man, I'de be eating every time I grabbed a bucket! I'm fat enough!!!!!!

Another good source is bakeries. Fruit filling, frosting and creme comes in them. As far as the pickle smell the baking soda and water would work or if you are not in a hurry just leave them out in the rain and sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast