Boolit Mold

IMR 4895 or H4895

Just starting to load some light loads for 30-06
    I have IMR 4895 on hand
    Can I use this powder in place of H4985 when using
    the 60% Hodgon formula ??
    Thanks Sydney

Boolit Grand Master

IMR4895 will work best in the 30-06 with heavy medium to heavy cast bullets (175 - 220 gr). Start at 26 or 27 gr and work up to 34 gr or accuracy goes south (usually above 1950 fps +/-). It will work even better with a Dacron filler.

Larry Gibson

Far as I understand the H and IMR versions are close, but not quite the same. I don't think the IMR version works for the 60% formula. Just what I remember reading here and elsewhere.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Banned

IMR 4895 is a little faster then H. Most load info shows the same amounts though.
    Always wise to work up. The best loads were usually the same or so close it did not matter.

Boolit Master
    I have found my lot of H4895 to be faster than the IMR4895 I have. Your lots may vary with H4895 less consistant than IMR4895. My results in the .308 Win, .358 Win and .300 Savage give an edge to IMR4895 for accuracy. IMHO

Boolit Grand Master

I think you'll find most H4895 to be a tudge faster burning than IMR4895 which is why it is listed as faster burning on most burn rate charts. H4895 is made in Australia and IMR4895 is still made in Canada.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

For the question about Hodgdon's 60% formula, a quick call to a Hodgdon tech would get you the right answer. I've found their number on Hodgdon.com, and I've also found their technicians to be very friendly and willing to help.

Banned

yes..

Just do a web search for powder burn rate chart. I print it out to keep handy. Knowing where each power sits in this chart can help out tremendously. Not only in answer the question of whether or not a powder is the same or can be used in place of another, it allows you to work up loads for calibers where a certain power isn't listed in any load data. If you can find load data for both faster and slower burning powders around the one you are trying to use, then you can split differences and come up with your own loads. If you can't find loads above and below, well then, it might not be a good choice of power to use since that's going to put you to an extreme on the fast or slow end.

In the case of the 2 4895's, H is just slightly faster.

You can also use Hodgdon's load data and see the slight differences. Just pick your caliber and bullet weight and you'll see hodgdon suggests slightly difference charges for each power. It's not much, but enough to not use exact loads between the 2.

For instance, 308 with 155gr shows a max of I4895 at 47.5 and H4895 at 46. I doubt 1-2gr will make much difference though.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

I use IMR4895 almost exclusively for 308 and you are pretty much just shoving as much powder into the case as you can. Looks like H4895 is just a little hotter and they don't appear to be recommending compressed loads.
    Last edited by rototerrier; 03-30-2017 at 01:16 PM.

I use H4895, likely because of their 60% formula. Regardless of the reasons, I get very satisfactory results in my 7mm08 and 338 Federal. Would likely enjoy similar results if I'd devoted the same time in load development with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have found my lot of H4895 to be faster than the IMR4895 I have. Your lots may vary with H4895 less consistant than IMR4895. My results in the .308 Win, .358 Win and .300 Savage give an edge to IMR4895 for accuracy. IMHO
    it shows faster in the smaller calibers too.
    the 223-220 swift cases will automatically lose accuracy if I switch to H-type even at a lowered amount.

In the latest issue of "Handloader," there is a note by John Barsness saying that Hodgdon now recommends H4895 for light loads, but they no longer recommend IMR-4895 for that role. He gives no further information than that.

Boolit Mold
    What is the 60% formula?

Boolit Master
    Simply, a given load can be reduced to 60% of maximum to yield reduced recoil loads. i.e.: a .30/06 load of H4895 with a maximum of 50.0gr can safely be reduced to 30.0gr . Especially useful in cast bullet loading.

I've done it, I had IMR 4895 down to 20 grains in a 7.62x54r, then walked the ladder back to 28 where I was happy and quit. No issues, none, zip, nada. But your mileage may vary.

Since then I have switched over to shooting Red Dot/promo almost exclusively.

I can use half the powder and get the same or so similar only a chrony could tell the difference. That is close enough for me. Bigger cartridges 10-13 grains.

Smaller ones like .357 mag I love 4.6 grains of Red Dot.

Still using up my IMR 4895 in my Yugo SKS which loves 20 grains of it below the big Lee .312 185 gr gc. Used just for that my 3 lbs of IMR 4895 will still fight a small war.

Boolit Mold
    It is my understanding that the Hodgen is less suceptable to temperature. Supposed to shoot more consistent in varying teperatures. So they say.