Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .040 Higher front sight post?

Boolit Master
    You may need more than the calculated amount since your sight was loosely screwed in when you observed the amount your hits were low. I.e. Your sight needs added height so you have threaded portion to hold it and that would likely require more height.

Also another load could require yet even more sight height and retaining the ability to change between pins. Gluing or loc tighting things together has it place but I like to run things a while and let critical adjustments sink in before to make sure I won't regret it down the road.

Gluing something on top of a front sight would be exempt from that premise as it is very easy to go back to original dimensions.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I did not use a loose sight pin. I said that I could not raise it more because it became unstable (wobble I said). I did take it back down to lock it in before the reported group.

the sight WAS screwed out till it nearly wobbled, had to turn it back down a touch to stop the movement.
    You have misread what my reply was about, an answer to the other post.
    Last edited by daengmei; 04-01-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

You can find the Brownell's sight height calculator using your favorite search engine. Woulda posted the link if I wasn't using the danged iPad.

From a real computer:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...ght_Calculator
    Last edited by David2011; 04-16-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Updated with URL
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I did find that, and using something similar to an eye-pal (homemade, thin black vinyl with sticky back) I will get to shooting sometime this week or so. Thanks
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Shot the AR-10 today. Using a different ammo (I know, shouldn't) and the eyepatch, I shot a group that was now at the lower end of my panel, nearly as far off center the other way from the previous shooting. I know it had a lot to do with using the patch, I now can clearly see the rear peep, not like before where I was seeing a large blur and having to guess each time if I had the same sight picture. The Monarch ammo, steel case, was acceptable for what I was doing. I changed the rear sight for a Wilson Combat I got at Knob Creek and was able to get a group about 6" high. I know I still have quite a bit that I can screw the front sight in for future adjustments. Then I fired the Winchester 7.62x51 target ammo (white box) and now I have hits all over the place. Done with this one, I shot the Winchester from a BM-59. Previously I used ADI surplus ammo and was very pleased with the groups, blur and all. Now the Winchester just doesn't like me. Same as the AR, large group.

I have a bit of LC primed to load and figure the best load for each rifle.

If anybody is on the fence about an Eye-Pal and you are seeing a bad blur on the rear sight, they will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12