RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Need a muffler

Banned

Need a muffler

We shoot so much and make so much noise I want to make a sound reducer. I have a nice plastic 55 gallon barrel. Will cut shooting holes in it, put hardware cloth down the center. I will make a stand to hold it and adjust it.
    I am thinking to put rubber mulch then a half tire, more mulch, another tire, etc. I can't reduce boolit noise but just want the muzzle blast cut down.
    Put the rifle muzzle just inside and divert the gas.
    Any thoughts?

Going to be a little heavy for stealth ops, isn't it.

Might want to put a piece of conveyor belt cover over the rifle side with a small hole in it to keep the sound in the barrel.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I read an article one time about building one from 55 gallon drums lined with old tires, it was said to work well. Wish I could remember more or where I read that.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    If you can get your hands on a barrel full of machine shavings/turnings, put that between the hardware cloth, barrel, and half tires.
    More air space in the shavings than the rubber mulch.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned

I did have one with plastic turnings. It work fair but strands would hang down. I just burned them off with one of the long butane lighters. Then the flame went up and the whole thing burned in seconds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I did have one with plastic turnings. It work fair but strands would hang down. I just burned them off with one of the long butane lighters. Then the flame went up and the whole thing burned in seconds.
    It's not funny, but I'm still laughing!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

I am in a similar situation. I can shoot in my backyard, but don't want to bother my neighbors. I typically shoot fairly slow rounds which, of course, are quieter. I also shoot alongside my house if I can. This places two of my buildings between me and my next door neighbor.

I found this article which seems to hold some promise. http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar139.htm

From what I have read, Ken Waters made a "baffle box" noise reducer for his barn which is included in the May-June 1988 issue of Handloader Magazine (No. 133), called “Building a Range Sound Reducer.”

Boolit Master
    All of the public ranges in Switzerland have tubular sound absorbers at each station.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    All of the public ranges in Switzerland have tubular sound absorbers at each station.
    And here they are...

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...6#.WNww0qK1vIU

Boolit Grand Master

Might try this, simple and easy to make. Can also get tires that fit inside drum and cut plywood to fit.

Attachment 192147Attachment 192148

Larry Gibson

My wife likes to sleep in on Sunday's, if I want to play in the morning I either have to pick a suppressed firearm or get out the two plastic barrels that are slotted and put together.

I'll warn you now, it's not better at all for the shooter but contains the "blast".

Boolit Master
    I built a Test Firing Tube out of an 8" steel pipe dug into the ground with a double rubber gasket on the end where you insert the barrel and the bottom has about 2 feet of sand.
    I just brought a 55 gallon drum home from work that I may turn into some kind of Muffler.
    But most of my testing is strictly to test function and not accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I have the same thing basically but I took chicken wire and wrapped it around a 8 inch pipe to form a round hole then pull it off pipe and fit wire cage in barrel and fill with insulation. I did also wrap the chicken wire with fine screen door mesh so bits of insulation don't come through when a shot is discharged. They are building up around me also but I have plenty of ground way out back that is "legal" according to law and the range out there was there before the building of homes in area. I had a lawyer look into that so I am good to go in my life time!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Jim, I would try just the barrel first. See how that reduces the sound. If you need more maybe a couple cans of expanding foam insulations or lining with ridged foam.

Question is do you have to register it with the Treasury Dept. as a suppressor.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Soft padding and carpet in the barrel.

This is why the HPA needs to be law. We should be able to buy suppressors at will.

Spend some of the efforts contacting lawmakers and congressmen.
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

No.

Not a new idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Jim, I would try just the barrel first. See how that reduces the sound. If you need more maybe a couple cans of expanding foam insulations or lining with ridged foam.

If. Its not attached to the firearm no.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I almost sprayed the puter with oatmeal !!! Still shaking and hard to type .

Banned

Every barrel should be threaded for a 55 gal drum. I will not fool for years with paper work and the expense of a suppressor. Should be able to get one at any store or make one. What is wrong with reducing noise? I see, movies with assassins screwing them on so all criminals will have them. Big demoncrat control again.
    I am lucky where I live, just want to reduce sound a little but I hear shots all the time, even from town.