RepackboxInline FabricationPBcastcoLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Javelina lube

Boolit Master

Javelina lube

Got these 4 pieces in a surplus buyout. What is it and what would it be used for......... Because i am still learning.

THIS ITEM IS SOLD.
    Last edited by triggerhappy243; 04-04-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Same stuff as 50/50 alox beezwax. 2138 alox isn't made any more.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

Good lube. I used it for many years before I came here and started experimenting with others. Its a bit messy and smokes a bit more then some but its a great lube especially for handguns.

Boolit Master

It is NRA formula 50/50 ALOX 2138f and beeswax, great lube! The ALOX Corp. is long gone now and the 2138f has been replaced my ALOX 350 in current formulations of this lube such as Lyman and others. Still a great lube, I use a lot of it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned

mix 2 of them with a stick of carnuba red and stir in half a tsp of lanolin.
    that was how I was making BAC for quite a while then I run out of the javelina. [insert frowny face here]
    it would shoot super long strings [100+] and never waver.

In Remembrance

Only problem with that lube with its age is getting that darned paper off the lube! I used to use lots of this lube back in my younger days on Lyman #358495 boolets. When it started to get harder to find I just found a similar replacement for it.Robert

Boolit Master

I love them and still use it as I bought up a large stock when they quit making 2138F.
    Triggerhappy243, what will you do with your sticks?
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

triggerhappy243

Javelina is my all time favorite lube. It is excellent as is. If you don't want to mess with it I'll buy it from you or trade for other lube?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry. Sending you a pm

Banned

I did about the same with a bunch of it I had. I dumped it all in a crock pot and mixed it about 5050 with Cornuba red. threw in about 20 more sticks of various lubes I had accumulated through the years. Don't know if its any better then straight javalina or cornuba red but it works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    mix 2 of them with a stick of carnuba red and stir in half a tsp of lanolin.
    that was how I was making BAC for quite a while then I run out of the javelina. [insert frowny face here]
    it would shoot super long strings [100+] and never waver.

Boolit Master
    The first lube I used when I got started used it tell I could not get it anymore, then I started making my own.

Boolit Master
    Down to my last two sticks . Before Javelina I used Lyman Ideal lube black nasty stuff. Used a lot of Javelina I loved the stuff now I use carnuba red or bac.

Banned

First tube of lube I had was that lyman black ****. I learned real fast that it would be the last tube.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    First tube of lube I had was that lyman black ****. I learned real fast that it would be the last tube.

Same experience for me using this stuff. I was given a Lyman 450 lube/sizer once that a boat load of this black cr*p it it that was dried out. Talk about having fun cleaning it out, almost a sand type texture. Seems like most people had the same experience with that stuff.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I found some info on alox variants a while back and made some notes. 2138F alox was said to contain about 6℅ MC wax. Can anyone confirm this?

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I did about the same with a bunch of it I had. I dumped it all in a crock pot and mixed it about 5050 with Cornuba red. threw in about 20 more sticks of various lubes I had accumulated through the years. Don't know if its any better then straight javalina or cornuba red but it works just fine.

AH YES! The famous `Franken-lube`. I did the same thing about 5 years back with a drawer of lube sticks I had been collecting for many years. I even threw in about 6 lb. of homemade lube from a friend of mine in Pa. The final item of all stirred together lubes was a weird pink color and I had to use a base heater with it in a luber, but it performed great in handgun and lower vel. rifle shooting.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I got the 4 sticks of Javelina triggerhappy243, want to thank him again.

I also used the Lyman black graphite back "in the day" before I saw an add for Javelina in the American Rifleman. Javelina was a miracle to say the least. I've found it to be the best lube for velocities from 300 fps up to 3000+ fps. I'm carefully hoarding and using the few sticks I have left for my HV Match loads in the 30x60 XCB rifle and the 7.62x54R match loads in my Finn M39 MN. Have to say that Lar's 2500+ performs as well though and his NRA 50/50 lube almost as well.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    I found some info on alox variants a while back and made some notes. 2138F alox was said to contain about 6℅ MC wax. Can anyone confirm this?
    The original 50-50 lube was 50% BeesWax, 50% Alox 2138F
    Alox 2138F is no longer made. Alox 350 is the current replacement, but needs around 6% micro wax added to approximate Alox 2138F
    This is what I use in my 50-50 lube.
    I have Alox 350 for sale if you want to mix your own.
    http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...products_id=20
    Last edited by lar45; 07-29-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

^^^^^^^^
    As I mentioned; Lar's 50/50 is great lube and I recommend it. I use the 50/50 for a lot of my "normal" cast bullet loads from 600 to 2000 fps and it performs as good and better than many other lubes. I haven't really tested Lar's 50/50 above that as I use Lar's 2500+ for my HV cast bullets. I should have included it in the HV lube test I did. I really expect it will perform well when I do get around to testing it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have used nothing else for twenty years and it works. I have nine or ten lubsizers and it is in all of them. A friend of mine worked with Jesse Smiley who created Javalina and marketed it. I still have quite a bit and I agree, when it gets a few years old, it is very difficult getting the paper off. I it on all cast bullet shooting except black powder.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN