MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Cleaning dirt do ber nests from mold cavity

Boolit Man

Cleaning dirt do ber nests from mold cavity

So one of my NOE aluminum molds inadvertently got left in the shop over last summer and this winter. Dirt dobbers had built nests in all the cavities. I cleaned 95% of the mud out with soap and water and a toothbrush. There is still some dirt residue in the lube grooves that I just cant get out. Would scrubbing it with a brass brush scratch the mold?

I'd try soaking it overnight to soften the mud that remains.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    boiling soapy water and toothbrush

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not use a brass brush on aluminum
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree with keep soaking it and toothbrushing it. It's just dirt. It'll get soft sooner or later.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    You might try taking a wooden Q-tip and cutting the stick at an angle to form a sort of chisel-point and going after the dirt with that after soaking the mold in hot water for a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    You might try taking a wooden Q-tip and cutting the stick at an angle to form a sort of chisel-point and going after the dirt with that after soaking the mold in hot water for a bit.
    This is what I was thinking also except I use bamboo skewers.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I'm reporting you to PETA for lead poisoning the innocent insect babies.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I'm reporting you to PETA for lead poisoning the innocent insect babies.
    I'm a huge peta supporter. "People eating tasty animals"

Boolit Grand Master
    Ultrasonic cleaner?

Boolit Master
    Pb blaster seems to soak in faster then hot soapy water for me.

I'll need to check my dies in the presses and the barrels of the rifles in the shop on a regular basis since it is looking like a wet spring here.

Boolit Grand Master

NO BRASS BRUSH....that will scratch the aluminum . Use anything softer than aluminum.
    Scrape out with a wooden skewer or use a good stiff toothbrush....not an old worn out soft bristled one.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Cast some bullets and see if they will pull out the dirt
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have used, very gently, a bronze toothbrush on an aluminum mold cavity. It did not damage the mould, but i was careful, gently, and didnt do very much. I had the mould hot, and ended up trying to scrub an offending spot with a toothbrush, and melting the bristles in the cavities. The bronze brush was the last resort to get the cavities clean again. I used a left to right twisting motion in line with the cavity... And NOT a back and forth scrubbing motion. My concern wasnt so much scratching the mould as It could be polished easy enough, but rounding the edges, and causing a line on the bullets, which I avoided.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has melted a tooth brush on a hot mould.
    Definitely not one of my brighter moments.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Same way you would break rust down. Oil and let set It will break down.

Boolit Master

Be thankful it was an aluminum mold and not iron or steel. I left an old single shot .22 of uncertain lineage in the garage for about a year. Dirt daubers plugged the barrel with a nest. I worked on that barrel for hours(as though it was worth it) and never smoothed out the pitting where the nest was. That gun is only used with .22 shot shells now.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Be thankful it was an aluminum mold and not iron or steel. I left an old single shot .22 of uncertain lineage in the garage for about a year. Dirt daubers plugged the barrel with a nest. I worked on that barrel for hours(as though it was worth it) and never smoothed out the pitting where the nest was. That gun is only used with .22 shot shells now.
    Oh yeah, been there and done that. Had a nice Ruger 77 in 308 with varmint barrel. On gun rack in gun room. Barrel next window. Mud daubers came through hole in screen and built nest in barrel good 4" of mud. Well got it out and used brass/bronz brush as it was a steel barrel. Had some roughness and pitting from the rust. Well about that time started into the SML addiction and guess what? New barrel with a Petes breechplug and a new SML. Shot lights out and eventually guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was equal to one guys Swinglock and I had about 1/3 as much $ in it. Bad luck turned good! My experience, yours may be different.

for your mold I'd wash the cavities with peroxide to dissolve any organic patter the daubers used on the mud and it will help soften the mud too. Just don't leave it on too long. I'd do 10 minutes and then firm toothbrush. Try 2 times. You may also consider using an "electric" toothbrush. Shouldn't hurt the Al.

When done be sure to let us know what worked or didn't. Thanks, 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

Be really certain the moisture in the offending dirt is long gone before trying to pour melt in it. Although not likely very much involved it could cause a real surprise and still throw melt back at you.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Bazoo, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has melted a tooth brush on a hot mould.
    Definitely not one of my brighter moments.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    You have to be careful what you touch a hot mould with. I was surprised when acetone didn't melt the plastic handle or bristles of a tooth brush , I sorta thought it would eat it up.
    Never had the idea to go after a hot mould with a TB....sorta thought it might melt , But now we know...it will for sure melt.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"