Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Have anyone tried light cast bullets for 300 BLK in bolt gun?

Have anyone tried light cast bullets for 300 BLK in bolt gun?

I want a mold that would produce economical and light recoil bullets for super sonic 1500 - 2000+ fps. I plan to powder coat and possibly gas check if needed or shoot it plain lubed if I can get away. This will be my plinking/target shooting load, I want it to be accurate. I've been reading a lot on the topic, but most people are shooting mid to heavy bullets, so I wanted to know if anyone actually had good results with lighter cast bullets and which mold should I get. I am shooting Ruger American Ranch in 300 Blackout. I am using copper plated "carbine" 110gr bullets and they are not very long so chambering rounds is a bit of a problem in this rifle, rounds tend to "stick up". A typical longer pointy bullet chambers much better.

Boolit Master
    I think the lighter Lee (150 or 155 grain, can't remember) is really good in this role. And the Ed Harris designed pointy .312 bullet is just amazing.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the rcbs 130 grain spitzer in my AR. checked with conventional lube sized @.310 it will do 2" at 100yd.

Banned

it's for the 30 carbine.
    120grs.
    kills ground squirrels.
    wife shoots lot's of them.
    size to 311.

Boolit Master

Though not a 300 BLK , I used many K of the RCBS 165 gr gc sil boolet in my 10" RPM-XL single shot pistol in 30/20 (AKA 32/20 with a .308 bore)

I used only neck sized cases from the same lot # and 9.0 grs of surplus WW 820 powder @1,250 fps can go to 1,500 fps if needed, for 1.25 " 25 shot groups at 100 yards from the bench using a 2x7 pistol scope. this combo made it easy to hit SIL targets at any distance up to at least 200 yards.

Boolit Mold
    I've been working on a load for my R700 with the 150 grain NOE spire point. I'm powder coating with some marginal powder I got off amazon and pan lubing with beeswax. Then sized to 0.311 in a push through sizer. This over 4grains of red dot yields 1027 fps with an SD of 15 over ten shots. I know you were looking for super data but this would be fun out of a Ruger American too

Not sure how you are defining "light" but the Lee C312-155-2R is amazing in 300BO. There is a lot written that will support the need to gas check this one. I have yet to read where someone has not gas checked and reported good accuracy. This design, gas checked, is phenomenal. For some reason the consensus is that the non tumble lubed version is the more accurate of the two designs. I'm using the non tumble lube version with a copper gas check and tumble lubed with 45/45/10 for 300BO in an AR. Heck, it's my Avatar.

Boolit Master

I like the MP 311410 HP in my bolt action 300 blackout. It chambered fair until I fixed a mag box problem, now it runs much better. I don't powder coat or run this bullet supersonic, but it does expand at subsonic velocity and is super quiet through my can with a light charge of a fast pistol powder. I think MP is doing a re-run or just completed a re-run. Should be available in plain base or gas check.

I have the solid point GC version of this and I like this one as much as the Lee mold. BOTH perform extremely well in 300BO.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I like the MP 311410 HP in my bolt action 300 blackout. It chambered fair until I fixed a mag box problem, now it runs much better. I don't powder coat or run this bullet supersonic, but it does expand at subsonic velocity and is super quiet through my can with a light charge of a fast pistol powder. I think MP is doing a re-run or just completed a re-run. Should be available in plain base or gas check.

Try seating farther out for the carbine bullets. 150 or so with pistol powder for low recoil and rifle powder for faster but recoil won't be light. You should be able to push a PB to 1600 with accuracy, not with the GC design sans GC. With 150 you can get to 30/30 & x39 performance.
    Whatever!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There is a 125 gr pointed boolit out there a Lyman I think that was for the SKS , I shot a few in a 308 they worked very well there .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .