PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What mold did you get today?

Boolit Master

What mold did you get today?

1. Lyman 452488 2C from eBay. Took it out of the package, warmed it up, did two throwaway casts and started raining perfect boolits. Very happy with this purchase.

2. NOE TL452-230-RF RG2. My first NOE. Gave it a good scrub in the sink this morning. Heat cycled it three times, got it hot, gave it a light smoke and started raining hollow points. This is also my first HP mold and my reject rate from the first casting run was about 10% and I was grading them pretty hard. Needless to say I'm really happy with this mold and I can see that Al is going to get more of my money.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Nice!

I didn't get any today, but I've been staring at the Accurate and MP web pages for about 3 days now.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I don't have them in my hands yet ......
    457-405 HB , 457-340F and a 458193 all on the way .

True story .
    I had found a 27-150FP that I wanted for a 7x 6.8 and to paper patch for a couple of other 7 mm at Natchez , I think . I got to the total on the form and the $84 iron mould was up over $105 with shipping . So I went back to NOE and bought the 285-150 hunter because a 5C was $4 more to the door . I've never regretted that decision and bought 10 or so more NOEs .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Rcbs 158 rn

Boolit Buddy
    NOE 5 cavity alum .358-128RN PB for my S&W 9mm

Boolit Master

Saeco 745

Boolit Master

I fell down the swagging rabbit hole so I can't afford any molds right now.

Today's mail just arrived a few minutes ago and our "Postie" just handed me my new RCBS double cavity .410" round ball mould. It was a tough mould to find, but eventually I got this one from Buffalo Arms. I was surprised that they actually had one in stock! Most .40 calibre muzzleloaders use an undersized .390" or .395" round ball and those moulds are easily come by, but I needed a full diameter .410" round ball to duplicate the Lee Enfield .410 Musket loads for my single shot smoothbore Ishapore conversion rifle. I've already fire-formed a bunch of .303 British cases and blown them out straight, so now I need to cast some .410" round balls, load them up over some .410" card and fibre wads working up with about 12 to 15 grains of 2400 or 4227, and try to duplicate the original military Musket load.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

The other day I got an NOE 258-116-FN, five cavity. Looking for a little more weight in my 25-35's than the RCBS 100 grainer. JW

Boolit Master
    Actually got 2 on Monday. Both Accurate 4 cavity molds. 1 was 2 44 caliber (290V) cavities and 2 45 caliber (300E) cavities all with GC. The other mold was a 36-176D mold I had Tom design for me. I heated up the lead yesterday and after a good ultrasonic cleaning and some time on a hot plate, they both started raining bullets. A good mold is a thing of beauty.

The do like to be hot though.

Well, didn't get one yet, but did sell a .308 155 grn NOE HP mold and replaced it with a 6.5mm 125 grain HP NOE mold for 6.5X47 Lapua. Should have it by the weekend

Boolit Master

I actually managed to get out to the garage today to try out a mold that's been sitting on the bench for a while. It's a double cavity Lee 195 gr SWC for the .45. Cleaned it up, got it hot, smoked it and it started casting some nice boolits. It's one of those molds I really wish I had a 6 cavity of.

It felt good to get out and do something. I've been sitting in my chair since last Thursday and slowly going nuts. My surgical incision has healed enough for me to sit on my casting chair. Woo hoo!
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Just received a NOE 266 - 125 - FN grendel mold. Gonna reassemble a 6.5X47 Lapua on a Savage Precision Target Action with a Creiton Heavy barrel. It always liked the 123-125 weight bullets. And since it's a single shot, Not worry about magazine or cycling issues. Figured If I can get it liking Cast bullets with good accuracy to 300 yards ( Steel gong type accuracy) why not use it for some cheap trigger time.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got a NOE 360-160 WFN, 5 cavity, off this forum. Cast about 30 kvs og them in the last 2 days. Far superior than the Lee molds I currently have. Waiting on a RCBS 38-150 SWC to come next week, also from this forum. Will be my first steel mold.

Boolit Master
    Not today, but recently I bought (2) molds selling together at auction. Neither one had a maker's name or any roll marks at all. Both appear to be shop made by someone who did really nice work. As they were advertised as "appear about 32 caliber" I was interested for my pre-64 '94 Winchester 32 Win. Spl. and also a Winchester 1894 (born 1898) 32-40. One mold is brass and has a larger meplat, the other is steel, and both are plain base. The maker probably could not fashion out a proper cherry for cutting the blocks. I say this as when the block halves are closed together I can see clear through the blocks. The sprue cutter can be positioned on either end of both sets, thus making them either nose or base pour. Opposite the sprue cutter is a steel flap to close the "bottom" of the molds. Both molds are plain base, but that can be overcome. To create a gas check design I set up the mold (both can do this) for nose pour. With the "bottom" flap in place I lay a gas check on the flap and close the blocks. The stream fills the check and mold body nicely. So far I have created about 20 each of the 4 different designs between 2 molds with either plain or GC based. Now for more detail. Yes, these are "32" molds, but both are taper molds. The driving bands on the brass mold measure 0.315-.316-.316-.318-.320-.321". I have sized these boolits 0.321". On the steel mold, the values are a bit larger at 0.316-.321-.324-.325-.325-.325". I have sized these boolits 0.323". Final castings weigh just under 200 grains for all patterns. All this makes me suspect a Schuetzen enthusiast was involved somewhere in the works. If all works out I will fire a few of the smaller diameter boolits through the 32-40 soon, hopefully this week. By the way, I got both of these molds for less money that a "name brand" single mold brings on the auction sites. Perhaps my rifles will like them, perhaps not, but either way this has been a fun experiment in casting.

Boolit Mold

MP 225 solid/200 hp 4 cavity brass.

Boolit Master

Two new to me molds arrived today.

1. RCBS 38-140WC I have a real soft spot for beer can wadcutters. The RCBS has much shallower lube groves than my Lyman does. All I had to do was degrease it, get it hot and start dropping beer cans.

2. Lyman 452389 185 gr button nose wadcutter for the .45 ACP. I need to find some load data and a starting length for this one. It had a bit of rust so I dropped it in the Evapo Rust for about an hour, rinsed it off, coated it with mineral oil and started casting. I was careful to keep the oil out of the cavities. After about 8 casts the boolits started looking pretty good. From the 12th cast on everything was great.
    Semper Fi!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I should get the new 30 XCB and 225-37 FP 5Cs Tuesday or Wednesday .
    I went on a real bender just a few weeks ago I replaced the lost 358-200 RF that wandered off and a new 452 200 RF both 6C .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I just ordered the six cavity Lee 358-158 rf. Unfortunately, Midway didn't have any handles for it. I gotta trade with the 9mm mold I have.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

32 WS Help!

Congrats! Looks like another 32 WS enthusiast. I have two...one was my fathers and the other a shooter I bought to lug around. I have not started casting yet but getting ready to by getting all the hardware, lead, etc that I need. I just received a Lyman mold 323470AV that I hope to use. I am confused about hw to size them to the 321, or I guess you'd shoot them at 323...but I also want to put gas checks on them. May I ask how you do that? What sizing system do you use? I have a Lee 323 sizer coming soon. Any tips you could provide would be most helpful.

Bill

Page 1 of 33 1234567891011 ... LastLast