Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win. 1894, need .32-40 loads

Boolit Mold

Win. 1894, need .32-40 loads

Just purchased a Win., 1894, .32-40 for shooting lever action silhouette. I'll be using a 170 cast bullet, resized Starline .38-55 brass, since Starline doesn't make .32-40 and apparently has no immediate plans to.
    So, I'm looking for loads for that caliber that will keep it within the ball park of original load date...
    Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

The cartridge is very forgiving with most loads BUT very critical on bullet design and diameter. My rifle (made 1927) has a bore of 0.321" and shoots the Lyman 170gn very well. Another '94 made 1919 with a good shiny bore won't keep its shots on paper and requires a Saeco 190gn 8mm mould sized 0.325" before groups became acceptable.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Howdy......... My 32-40 is 26'' Octagon 1st year production.....and almost misses the broad side of the "Barn" LoL..........No. A Family gun that needs
    a reline job!!! But my other 32-40s shoot like a house a fire!!!! I shoot a 165gr O.E. cast and 24gr of RL7 My Brass is all Winchester 32-40 ,with
    some 30-30 formed ! shoots the same just a bit short but still works well ...........Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    I won a match with a 94 takedown rifle in .32-40. I used .30-30cases formed to .32-40. 35 gr. 2f and the 165 gr. lyman mold for the 8m/m. lubed with spg.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys.... all good info. Mine will be a 1904, Octagon, 26" bbl. when I get it from Cabela's in MN. I had the sales guy in the Gun Library take a real close look at the bore/chamber before I committed. Supposed to be real fine...we'll see. I do have a 3 day inspection time frame.

BTW, in case you all weren't aware, Cabela's will dicker on the asking price. I've gotten a couple of pretty goods deals dickering and making what I considered a fair price..as well as my top dollar....anyway, I digress.

I'll first slug the bore and give it a good cleaning. Probably will get another Accurate mold...their 32-170D seems to fit the old profile. Just hope the 170's have enough remaining KE at 200 yards to knock over the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by 1trapper View Post
    Thanks guys...

I'll first slug the bore and give it a good cleaning. Probably will get another Accurate mold...their 32-170D seems to fit the old profile. Just hope the 170's have enough remaining KE at 200 yards to knock over the Rams.
    She will do good for sure!!! Mine will knock down the hog at 250yds

OL Deuce

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Could'nt get my 1903 to shoot worth a hoot with standard bullets.
    Worn bore that has seen a lot of BP and corrosive primers and little TLC.

Made cases from 30-30 and thought to myself: How about a stopring bullet that wont slip down the case.
    Took a hold of Tom from accuratemolds and now it shoots way better than my old crappy eyes can see.

10 shots at 50m~55yds, speed in the 1400fps range:

Bullet:
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=32-185N-D.png
    First band is .333" and the remaining is .323"
    It fills the chamber so there is no blow by.

Boolit Master

I researched the same a few years ago as I wanted to see how it would parallel the 30-30. I found several references to IMR4227 as an accuracy load powder, and usually in the 13 to 15 grain range. I now shoot similar charges in my 30-30's with good results.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    that is the nice thing about take downs they got cleaned better from the breach.

17nut.........? is that a 200gr cast Boolit..........Nice Group!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Unique powder. Works well.

Great site for any cartridges reloading recipes. (link)

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    17nut.........? is that a 200gr cast Boolit..........Nice Group!!

Ol Deuce
    Kind of!
    The design is for 185gr (from WW) but my alloy of 97/3 gives an even 200gr.

PS: I cant shoot like that anymore:¨-(
    As i get older i suffer from two diseases CRS and CSS.

Cant Remember Sh!7 and Cant See Sh!7

My '94 .32-40, built in 1897, was my Great Grandad's. The 24" octagon barrel has a pristine bore. I thought I needed a bigger lube groove than Accurate's 32-170A, so I had Tom change it to the 32-180C. The bore slugged at .3215 and I size to .3230. Loaded with IMR 4895 it's extremely accurate with an old Lyman tang sight. I took a white tail doe with it right 120 yards.

Boolit Master
    I hope you are not shooting those john wayne cartages. I was at an auction a full box went for $60.

Boolit Mold
    Here's a question: Given the case capacity of the .32-40, .38-55, etc., are any of you folks using (successfully) any case filler, i.e. Dacron, corn meal, T.P., etc?
    I know there's a lot of pro's and con's on this. I used it a filler (Dacron) at times with no ill effect. I can't say if it was necessary other than make me feel good to know the powder is against the flash hole.
    But have any of you'll tested any of the fillers to see if it's really necessary and helped to improve groups?

Boolit Mold
    17 Nut....
    You noted "14.2" gns of....? on your target, which was most impressive!! Are divulging the type of powder, though??

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I hope you are not shooting those john wayne cartages. I was at an auction a full box went for $60.
    Hahah No but yes I have!!!! But I do have 2 boxes of the JW NOS.. The box I shoot out of was a Box of fired that I picked up at a Gun Show
    some 30 + years ago!!!! The fun part of this is I take the box to the range and get tons of krap for shooting them LoL

Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by 1trapper View Post
    Here's a question: Given the case capacity of the .32-40, .38-55, etc., are any of you folks using (successfully) any case filler, i.e. Dacron, corn meal, T.P., etc?
    I know there's a lot of pro's and con's on this. I used it a filler (Dacron) at times with no ill effect. I can't say if it was necessary other than make me feel good to know the powder is against the flash hole.
    But have any of you'll tested any of the fillers to see if it's really necessary and helped to improve groups?
    1Trapper.....I've not had any issues with my powder!!! I'm at the end of my RL7 and I'm going to make the switch to IMR4227 I also have
    used IMR3031 which does work well !!! ....I maybe could see using a filler if you were breach seating ! also been thinking of a slower powder to
    get a fuller case!

Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Kind of!
    The design is for 185gr (from WW) but my alloy of 97/3 gives an even 200gr.

PS: I cant shoot like that anymore:¨-(
    As i get older i suffer from two diseases CRS and CSS.

Cant Remember Sh!7 and Cant See Sh!7
    Hahaha you think you have a couple bad diseases..........Well We suff from the CRS & CSS the same But I really have 1 Bad Disease and you
    may contract it soon and that's CFS! I have things in my hand....set them down and CFS sets in! "Ol Deuce"

LoL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast