Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 44 Magnum Full Wadcutter Loads

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    44man...with all due respect...if you are suggesting that a full wadcutter in 44mag is a pop gun...well, you don't know as much as I thought you did.

Just in case you don't know...a full wadcutter launched from a 44mag handgun will most certainly kill a deer at 50yds...put a hole all the way through. That ain't talk...that is a FACT. Matter of fact, they work so well, that the 200gr full wadcutter is the only cast bullet I shoot in my .44 levers, now...bang/flop at 75yds. My experience has shown them to be effective...very effective. This idea that the only thing that will work in .44 guns, is the heaviest bullets, is poppy cock.

Now, if I am hunting truly big game, like elk or moose, I want those heavy bullets...but they certainly are not necessary for most deer...at least, most of the ones that I have seen.

It is fine to prefer big, heavy bullets...but they are not the only thing that will work for a lot of folks.

And, they certainly generate less recoil for those shooters that are not into a lot of punishment.
    I load 210s because of accuracy. So my 210 would be humane for a kill out to what distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I load 210s because of accuracy. So my 210 would be humane for a kill out to what distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Very close. Velocity and energy will bleed off fast. You also lack penetration.
    I see a difference in a close shot and a long shot with heavy. A deer shot at 25 will go down faster then one shot at 100. Energy difference. Start with low energy and range is shorter. Making the light boolit faster will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Very close. Velocity and energy will bleed off fast. You also lack penetration.
    I see a difference in a close shot and a long shot with heavy. A deer shot at 25 will go down faster then one shot at 100. Energy difference. Start with low energy and range is shorter. Making the light boolit faster will not work.
    BBBBBBBWWWWAAAAAA-HHHHAAAAAAA-HHHHHHHAAAAA
    Why don't you tell that to all the hunters that use 357's to harvest deer??? Heck back when I hunted deer I had no problem either using a 357 for 65yds or closer. Or a 44mag with a 220gr swc (h&g #142) out to 125yds.

Every time the topic of 44mag/bullet choices comes up it's always the same thing with you.
    You can't use a bullet with a shoulder which means no one else can.
    The bullets have to be 28bhn/30bhn or they won't shoot.

Then there's always pictures of deer, yup had to use a 475gr bullet in a 500mag to drop that scrawny 90# deer @ 65yds, yada-yada-yada.
    Glad to see a 44mag in your hands isn't up to the task of deer hunting so you had to step up to a 500.

I just love when you post pictures of range trash with 1 or 2 holes in it. I get a good laugh wondering where the other 8, 10,20 shots went before you hit something. Your picture not mine, that 10-shot group you posted @ 50yds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I can see why you don't like shooting paper. That 4"+ group at 50yds would make you look like a 1 legged man in a a$$ kicking contest if you went up against someone that knew what they were doing with nothing more than those lowly wc's you can't get to shoot. Glad you used 2 hands to shoot that one!!!!!

Out of everything you've posted the only thing I have found credible is that 50yd target. Any 160gr to 220gr wc with 6.0 to 7.0gr of either clays or bullseye will run circles around that 10-shot 50yd group of yours. o-ya forgot the all day long part

Banned

You are a funny guy, sorry but you can't make me angry. The 10 shot group at 50 is 1-1/2". the lines on the target are 1" apart. Those are .45 holes.
    You insert things, I do not have a .500 magnum, it is a JRH with a 440 gr. It is a .500 S&W special. I went to the larger guns for distance. The .44 peters out if shot too far. But I still hunt with it. Never be without one.
    To see me shoot Clays or Bullseye for deer and someone should have a Billy club to smack me with.
    Our deer are large, Many over 200#. I do like the meat from smaller, will not deny that at all.
    All you show is you do not know the .44! I have shot mine to 500 meters and hit steel. To the uninitiated, that is 547 yards. Your popgun loads would never kill past 10 yards. Buy a .44 and shoot it like a .38. I feel you fear the gun. You show 25 yard groups larger then I have done at 100. I think you would fall of the seat if you shot a real revolver. Split forehead even from a real .44 load.
    Go out and shoot your loads at 100 and come back with pictures, signed by others. I still will not believe you. Taffin shoots 6 shots and only measures the best 3. He does the same with a Ransom rest, just count the closest holes.
    I will refer to you as Taffin jr.

Banned

You amaze me, killing deer to 65 yards with a .357. My friend has a SRH he fears like the devil so he hunts with his .357. Loses over half the deer shot.
    To claim you kill deer to 125 with a 220 gr SWC is another joke. I picture you looking for blood for a week. Do you use Clays or Bullseye?

Banned

Mods, Please close this thread. False information can reach new members. I am ashamed to continue responding. It has become personal. You can delete anything I have said too.

Banned

Who are you to ask that the thread be closed???
    You are not the O/P
    How rude are you??? You keep saying it's nothing personal then this???
    There is no "false information" in this thread. Just opinions.
    It is no wonder you got sideways so many times here.
    You have great experience and information, but it's like a broken record in the end.

Super Moderator

OP here, 44man needs to grow up. He is the one that pooped in this thread and now he wants it closed? Really?

Boolit Master
    False info??? from who? .22 gurl?
    ok I buy that

Boolit Grand Master
    Well it has gone south. Having been on the bad side of these kinds of discussions myself, sometimes people do get ornery. Me included.

I am of the opinion that wadcutters have considerable utility and I find them to shoot well but I have not done much with them in 44 caliber. Would be more helpful if this stayed on topic in terms of information.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Well it has gone south. Having been on the bad side of these kinds of discussions myself, sometimes people do get ornery. Me included.

I am of the opinion that wadcutters have considerable utility and I find them to shoot well but I have not done much with them in 44 caliber. Would be more helpful if this stayed on topic in terms of information.
    I completely agree with you, that was my purpose for starting the thread so we could share information about 44 wadcutters. For some reason 44man decided to take it off topic right off the bat and disrupt the thread big time.

Banned
    i still have 100+ 220gr wc from montana bullets. i guess(and i do mean guess!!!) that they should go 50 yards to kill a deer. after 50 yards, esp when using unique, they can key-hole. i've don't shoot my 44 much past 50 yards, so i don't know what the wc does. i have grouped them 1 3/4 -3" at 50 yards (benched) with a ruger srh(7.5"barrel), but i sold that one and i got a ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel).

so i would guess, that it would 50 yards(guessing again)

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i still have 100+ 220gr wc from montana bullets. i guess(and i do mean guess!!!) that they should go 50 yards to kill a deer. after 50 yards, esp when using unique, they can key-hole. i've don't shoot my 44 much past 50 yards, so i don't know what the wc does. i have grouped them 1 3/4 -3" at 50 yards (benched) with a ruger srh(7.5"barrel), but i sold that one and i got a ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel).

so i would guess, that it would 50 yards(guessing again)
    If you can't kill a deer at 50yds with those wc's...it is your fault, not the bullet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    If you can't kill a deer at 50yds with those wc's...it is your fault, not the bullet.

yep, i know it will be my fault. i can only do 25 yards one handed(with nothing supported). i'm trying tho, its hard to do cuz i'm disabled(stroke). but i can do a 3-4" group at 25 yards(unsupported/ 5 shots). i have a hard time when i go to 30 yards(5+", unsupported), but i'm trying.

In Remembrance

Tin cans and paper targets fear mention of my name and my .44 WC loads under the 100 foot mark.Robert

Boolit Master
    WHY? What do you want to achieve. Turn a magnum hunting gun to a pop gun.
    Shooting bullseye, it makes a bigger hole.

I have 4 different wc/hbwc molds. The 200gr/200gr+ molds do extremely well in the 44mags. The 162gr button nosed lee an a custom de 175gr wc tend to do better in the 44spl's. Unfortunately I don't know how how accurate these bullets are because I didn't shoot shotgun shells can bottles plastic containers milk jugs coffee cups pie tins boxes bags things bigger than a bread box things smaller then a bread box no stinkin deer or other critters.

I can say any of them will hold the x-ring @ 50yds with several different loads. And the loads don't even have to knock down tall buildings in a single shot.

For the record, this is what a 200gr swc hp looks like along with the 220gr swc that I have taken deer with. This is also what a 1 1/2" group looks like,
    [IMG][/IMG]

And yes there's that 6.0gr to 7.0gr of clays thing again. If I don't have any 44cal wc's cast I'll switch to these h&g # 142's for bullseye.

Banned

Hard to let go. Some agree some never will. Long enough barrel to touch 25 yards and you will get one hole. Show SWC groups at hand touch distance but we are talking a WC here. No one has yet shown a 50 yard or farther WC group. How about 200 meters?
    Too many dips, I was involved in a discussion about the .45 colt once but unlike experts I took 5 shots down and shot 50 yards Creedmore. I mean 10 minutes after it was said it could not be done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowdoesaVaquaroshoot.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	193038 Get off the keyboard and go shoot right now and see if you can make a vaquero shoot like this. I don't fool around. I test in minutes. I care less about 25 yards.
    Would I ever waste a mold block for a WC?

Hard to let go. Some agree some never will. Long enough barrel to touch 25 yards and you will get one hole. Show SWC groups at hand touch distance but we are talking a WC here. No one has yet shown a 50 yard or farther WC group. How about 200 meters?
    Too many dips, I was involved in a discussion about the .45 colt once but unlike experts I took 5 shots down and shot 50 yards Creedmore. I mean 10 minutes after it was said it could not be done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowdoesaVaquaroshoot.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	193038 Get off the keyboard and go shoot right now and see if you can make a vaquero shoot like this. I don't fool around. I test in minutes. I care less about 25 yards.
    Would I ever waste a mold block for a WC?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    This is the OP, the Original Post>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I did some searching on this site and a few others, there's really not a lot of load info out there for these. Even the Lyman 4th doesn't show any wadcutter loads. I bought this mold http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-190W-D.png, and it casts right at about 195 grains lubed with my alloy. So far, I have tried 5.5 gr of Bullseye, and 6 grains of Red Dot with good results. I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with 44 wadcutters, and what loads you prefer for yours. I have a plethora of other powders including Unique, 231, Titegroup and others. If you have suggestions, thanks for sharing!
    Some folks may not have noticed... But there are others who "DO" want to shoot 44s with Wadcutters.

Regardless if others do NOT want to use them, he was asking about what those who "DO" want t shoot them & what they have to offer for suggestions..

I do not see where there was any request for why "NOT" to shoot them....

I have a Ruger SRH with a 7.5 in. barrel. I have not shot full WCs, only JHP & some of my own cast SWC just recently. I do not hunt with this weapon on a regular basis nor do I want to hunt with it often.

BUT... I do like to shoot it & have for close to 30-35 years.... I don't have a place where I can shoot more than 50 yards safely most of the time. So, I shoot at closer distances.

I would like to hear about the use of full WC.

I am all aware of some folks pasts that they tell of, talking about their abilities & their suggestions/opinions about other types of boolits, but in this topic I was hoping to hear more about Full WADCUTTERS in a 44... and the experiences of those who DO like to use them & what they have for suggestions about doing so...

JUST LIKE THE OP wanted..

Not long ago, I remember reading about someone wanting to close a topic. I hope this one does not.. I hope it goes back to where it started & folks can answer the OP & the questions , JUST AS WAS INTENDED..

I have a saying I like to use..

"You take your path & I will take mine."

We might get to the same destination or we might not. But , each one of us should enjoy the trip without others throwing rocks at us while we walk "our own" path....

Maybe some folks might want to just let folks take their own path , knowing that even though it is not the same, it is just fine for them to walk that path & learn on their own.

You want to drive the weapon to its extremes, to see what can happen,,,
    while others want to just enjoy the ride & the view by just shooting & having a good time just doing that...

Maybe consider this... Not everyone wants to know your "trip report" of your path. They just want to enjoy their own...

BTW, I do enjoy the tales, but not the way they are being told..{and once in a while, I used to be able to make things "hop" with the 44, but I am not that good any more, or out of practice, but I don't' talk about it much. I let others talk about it. }

Anyone gonna help get this back to how them full WCs work & suggestions on USing them?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast