Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: A starter Glock for son in law

Boolit Master

A starter Glock for son in law

My new son in law wants a Glock. He has limited shooting experience and I have not have time to work with him.
    Any help? I plan on reloading for him and casting.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

Start him smartly by getting a 9mm so he can learn good habits.

Yes the 19 it's carry friendly when he is ready.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 04-12-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    17 or a 19 = good start.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    17-19 is an excellent choice. The 19 is iconic and easy to shoot and will allow,you to develope shooting skills without developing recoil based bad habits. So if given a choice for one then the 19 would be the best choice. Look for a dark earth version so he has something unique to be proud of.

Boolit Master
    Glock M20. I love mine.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Glock 42. Super easy to shoot, likes boolits, and packs a punch with Fiocchi FMJ or smart handloads. I love mine and shoot it very well. The 9mm's are a good choice too though, I also have a 19 and 26. While they are very nice guns, the 42 is just the sweetest pistol Gaston & Co. have ever made. As a bonus the 42 costs about $100.00 less than the others.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

19. I own a bunch. 20 is my hiking pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Friends dont let friends buy Glocks. With the SW Rebates you can get a Shield for $240 and an M&P for not much more
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Groo here
    As you stated he wants a glock , I won't try to talk him/you into an XDM. Better trigger than s glock rounder grip like an M&P.
    If shooting cast , get an after market barrel[like Lone Wolf] ,Cast friendly and easier on the cases.[Keep the stock one for carry]
    Also, help him out and get a trigger stop.
    Best thing I ever did to mine as the over travel is BAD......

Banned

hard to beat a 19 and if he doesn't mind a bit more recoil a 23.

Boolit Master
    I've had several, with the 17 I had the most accurate. I traded around, sold the 17 , and now a 19 fills most of my needs. Just this morning I went to a new gunship and​ had my hands on a 43. Almost the same size as my Ruger LC9s Pro. Had the 43 been available when I got the Ruger it would have been​ a tough choice. But mercy, the stock trigger on the Ruger is soooo sweet.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    A good all around Glock would be the 19. That would be the gun to get if you only could have one.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

The 19 is going to be your one-gun-for-everything Glock - small enough to carry, big enough to put a light on, holds enough ammo for the Zombie Apocalypse.

The 17 would be more of the exposed carry work gun. No real advantage to it unless he's a big guy.

The longslide 17L and 34 competition-oriented guns are not the most practical of pistols, but they are SWEEEEEEEET to shoot. They come with the "minus" trigger connectors that give a bit lighter pull (you don't want them in a "real world" gun, but they're easy enough to switch / have switched).

9mm has it's fair share of quirks for reloading with cast, and there's a lot of hokum, mysticism, and outright hysteria about shooting cast through a factory Glock barrel. If you understand what's going on dimensionally with your ammo and pistol, remain in control of all the variables, and thoroughly test your load, there's no reason to be spastic about it. If, on the other hand, you or your S.I.L. are likely to shoot ammo concocted for other pistols, factory-cast bullets, or factory-reloaded ammo with factory-cast bullets, the aftermarket barrel option may be for you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    If its a house gun many glocks would work. If he wants CC than a G19 is good. Unless he has some experance I would not get a mini 9mm or any 40 version. That said my G22 and G35 are great guns and easy to change from 40SW to 9 mm.
    For bedside I keep a G21SF. For the car/cc its my G19 gen 3.

Boolit Master

I would get the G23 and then an aftermarket conversion barrel for 9mm since you are going to need one for cast bullets anyways. Two guns in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I would suggest a Glock 19; small enough to carry but still large enough to shoot comfortably for extended practice. The 9mm cartridge is easy to load and the Glock 19 loves boolits if you follow the advice on this board; if you reuse the brass a 9mm reload with boolits is cheaper than 22lr. Have fun.