Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45/70 400-500 GR Mold Suggestions?

45/70 400-500 GR Mold Suggestions?

Getting my first 45/70 (Marlin 1895SBL) and wanted to get some suggestions on bullet molds in the 400gr ish range.

Of course, I'm not even sure what the best and/or most popular bullet weight is. Feel free to lay it all on me.

I currently cast for 9mm, 38, 357, 45acp, 308 and 35 Remington.

I'll be hunting with it in GA and TN. I'll use it in the woods where most shots will be well within 100 yards. I use a 270 or 308 for 500yrd fields.

I tend to like a heavier bullet. I also shoot a lot of steel, and prefer how the heavier bullets make a very satisfying ring.

Boolit Master
    400 gr is your best bet. A friend has a Merlin 1895 and 500 gr bullets are too long. I have 2 molds in 400 gr RCBS and Redding, Weights are Lyman no 2 alloy btw.

In Remembrance

I use the Lee 405. It works well for me and no feeding issues.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I ordered the RCBS 45-405-FN

Would appear everyone is quite happy with it. Figure I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

Banned

Ive fooled with and own many 4570 molds but keep coming back to that bullet. Its very accurate and does well on game. Ive shot animals as big as a 1000lb bison with it and it never let me down. Just wish rcbs would make it in a 2 cav mold. Even so its my favorite 4570 bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    I ordered the RCBS 45-405-FN

Would appear everyone is quite happy with it. Figure I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

Do you guys use regular 45 cal gas checks or the 458 Gator Checks or equivalent? I was placing an order with NOE last night for 459 and 460 sizer bushings and also threw in a bag of 458 gator checks. Since I'll be powder coating, I just assume a regular 45 check is probably going to be super tight and that's the reason for having 458's

What's everyone else doing?

Edit: Nevermind, I typed in a different search query and got right to the explanation. Appears the 458 has to do with the thickness of the check. So, would appear I got the correct checks but for the wrong reason.

Still learning

Being my first 45-70, I'm having to gather everything and just have to figure it all out. So far, I have the mold, sizers, and gas checks. Just need to source some brass and dies and I'll be set.

Boolit Buddy
    out of curiosity what did you search? I tried when I was searching for which checks to buy also and didn't really find what I had hoped for

458 gator checks

Found a description from a site selling them.

Product Description
    The copper Gator Checks are crimp on gas checks. The checks are sold in resealable clear plastic bags. Made with thicker material than regular .45's to allow for .460 sizing. These are a heavy .45 rifle check for .458, 45-70 and other 45 rifle calibers.