Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Favorite 300 BLK Mold?

Favorite 300 BLK Mold?

There was a thread on here previously, but it's about 4 years old. Technologies and designs change, so...

I actually haven't purchased a 300 BLK upper, yet, but more on that in a minute.

At this point I'm not really concerned about sub vs super, just reliable feed and function. As far as accuracy goes, I'm going to look at the 300 like I would a pistol caliber carbine. Something fun, cheap, and easy to load for, and gets me decent accuracy at 50 (or maybe even 100) yards. I have zero desire for the expense or effort of gas check, so I'm planning on PC'ing whatever I end up with, and shooting it at velocities that make it friendly to do so. Would prefer a 4+ cavity mold, but you can't have it all. So edjumicate me!

Regarding an upper... Pretty much the same criteria I've set for the mold. Doesn't need to be a world-beater in accuracy, just want to get something that's reliable and affordable. PSA seems very spotty on their availability. MAS Defense seems like a pretty good candidate ( http://www.shop.masdefense.com/300-AAC-Blackout_c3.htm ), but I don't know anything them?

Boolit Buddy
    I am a fan of CBC. https://www.cbcindustries.com

I just built an upper in .300 Black. Ballistic Advantage barrel bought from Monmouth on sale (along with the gas system) precipitated my inevitable ownership of such a rifle. The rest of the parts (no-name ones) were bought from a gunshow guy, fortuitously later the same week. I'm breaking in the barrel tomorrow with my brother's lower and checking out the MOA garuntee that BA provides with their barrels.

Sorry, just rambling about my excitement. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your upper may just materialize faster that you expect like mine did.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

+1 on Ballistic Advantage. I bought an 8" barrel, I think it was called the PRO series, It's the one with nickel boron, receiver extension. I picked it up under a $100 with shipping, from The Right to Bear Arms. They seam to have good deals. I also looked at the CBC, they have great sales on their uppers.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Thanks, all!

Boolit Master

Hard to beat the Lee 312 155gr in a 6 cavity, it's cheap, makes boolits that feed very well in the 300 BO AR upper and makes them quickly.

Boolit Buddy

Moonie,
    Are you running them bare bottom or checked,Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Hard to beat the Lee 312 155gr in a 6 cavity, it's cheap, makes boolits that feed very well in the 300 BO AR upper and makes them quickly.

308 Jeff,
    Been happy with this company
    http://www.hardenedarms.com/ecCat_64
    Last edited by BUCKEYE BANDIT; 03-28-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: addition
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Just got an email from Primary Arms. They have a Ghost Firearms pistol upper for $299 and a 16" Radical Arm for $179.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master
    My current favorite is the 311679 or 311365 for subsonic, the Lee 155 for supers.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

31-142C PB for TL or PC. Feeds great, accurate, push up to 2k fps. KAK may have some cheap but good barrels slick side upper, no need for FA or dust cover. Using a 31-172C PB RD style in the pistol that feeds well with lancer mag.
    Whatever!

Thank you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    Moonie,
    Are you running them bare bottom or checked,Thanks

308 Jeff,
    Been happy with this company
    http://www.hardenedarms.com/ecCat_64
    Gas checked.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I"ve been trying different bullets for function and alloy test but only tried 3 for accuracy so far. Lee 170FP PB with Carnauba red did not shoot well. Lee 150F GC without checks and coated with hi-tec shot about 10" (i think alloy was too soft) and the Lee 312-155 gas checked lubed with Carnauba red shot about 3" or so at 100 yards.
    This was zero load development. Just some ammo that was loaded to check alloy for leading and check for the function of the rifle. I think with some development the 312-155 can do a lot better.

Going to go ahead and order the C312-155-2R.

Palmetto had this rifle kit on sale for $349.00, but I waited to long to order it. Any thoughts? http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-...16444989b.html

EDIT: Does anyone make a plain base mold similar to the Lee?
    Last edited by 308Jeff; 05-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.

I've got a 31-150 PB Al 2x that feeds fine if you sand out the ribs if a Pmag. I used it for carbine with a slightly larger bore. Worked great in 308mx too.
    Whatever!

Tried a couple for the blackout. I am PCing them and with a tight chamber I settled on the Arsenal 170 grain "Sliver". Functions really good. Tried the NOE 230 which is also a great bullet but I'm not running Sub's so was way to heavy. NOE 155 was a great bullet in HP, but nose was too flat for good chambering and with the thick PC I'm using had to seat too deep.