Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood tests for lead done.

Boolit Master

Blood tests for lead done.

Went in for my physical a couple of weeks ago and had every possible test done.

Told the doc that I cast bullets and reload ammunition as well as shoot about once a week or so and she wanted to test me for lead exposure.

A couple of days before the test, I had cast bullets for my dad's side business so I went through 190lbs of lead in two days. About 4400 bullets. I also shot a couple of hundred rounds and reloaded a couple of hundred rounds as well.

I have poor lead handling habits, I admit. Will cast for a couple of hours and then go outside and smoke without washing my hands.

I was a little concerned about lead exposure, to be honest.

But, lead level was 4.2 with normal range 0.0 - 10.0.

Perma-Banned

Good news!

Banned

sounds about right.

Boolit Master
    Unless you are taste testing your work, stirring your tea with the dross spoon or sprinkling lead oxide on your sundae, you're probably not going to be too bad. Messing around with leaded dust is where people stand to soak it up.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    you get that much from what you eat.

Boolit Master

Yep, good news. In the early 90s I worked in a facility with an indoor rifle range. We tried to shoot several times a week during the lunch hour when we were not deployed or otherwise tasked. We also mined the backstop and smelted the lead right in the range due to its high volume ventilation.

We had to have our blood tested annually due to our lead exposure. Our test results were about the same as the OPs. A modicum of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to lead poisoning.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    what? you mean it's not "highly toxic" like the news people, and others, try to tell us? surely they wouldn't mislead us like that!!

Boolit Master

I did the same thing last month, for the same reason, same results and I cast and loaded a lot of "hands on" buckshot and slugs.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I'm 80lbs overweight, have smoked menthols for 25 years, drink almost daily, and eat awful food. I decided to change my diet and start regular exercise and quit drinking so much. Went to the doc to have the complete physical done to see just how bad of shape I was in and the doc was amazed at all of my results; completely normal and healthy in every way except for cholesterol around 200. Blood tests showed everything perfect, lungs healthy, normal blood pressure, etc. She was mad that it was so good and that I was so bad...

Still, I have been eating healthier for a couple of weeks, going to the gym and walking every day, and only have a couple of social drinks on the weekend. Figured I have been pushing my luck for far too long...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    what? you mean it's not "highly toxic" like the news people, and others, try to tell us? surely they wouldn't mislead us like that!!
    It is Highly Toxic - in concentration and in kids. Don't loose sight that all heavy metals are toxic and tend to build up in the bones. We are playing with a toxic substance, and I grow artisima which is poison and many have digitalis in the flower garden - a terrible poison. The gasoline in my gallon can for my lawnmower is more explosive than all my gunpowder.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the same when I was casting a lot. Did not have a problem. But it is good to check it out.

BTW, I think you get more lead into your system from shooting in poorly ventilated indoor ranges than by casting or handling lead bullets. This was over 40 years ago, but my mentor tested high. He was a competitive Bullseye shooter and back then most ranges were poorly ventilated....at least the ones we shot at.
    Don Verna

Banned

like Wayne mentioned all heavy metals are toxic.
    if you do a quick search on iron toxicity you'll probably come up with a chart or something on it's conditions and symptoms.

I'd rather have lead poisoning.

Boolit Master

Still, I have been eating healthier for a couple of weeks, going to the gym and walking every day, and only have a couple of social drinks on the weekend. Figured I have been pushing my luck for far too long...

Good on you Idaho45. I've watched my diet closely and exercised regularly all my life and yet I still have to watch my blood pressure. Go figure.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I just started casting 3 years ago, for the most part I think i am doing ok. I powder coat so I do nto get any exposure when I am loading. I only wear the mask when I am purifying scrap lead and I do it all purifying outside and I cast in my pole barn with both big doors open and if there is no wind I run a big fan.
    I went in for my yearly blood tests for my suger and I asked my doctor to include a lead test. it came back 5. He said it was not great but not dangerous. Asked me if I was doing all the safety stuff. I said most of the time, I did start wearing gloves again but I just can not keep that mask on for hours and hours. I cast slower than some say they do. Some guys say they can do hundreds of bullets in a hour. I can spend around 3 hours (most I can sit there at one time) and can empty my 20lb pot a couple times if I am doing a heavy bullet like 230 or 255 grain but if I am doing 155 grain for 38 or 357 I can only empty the pot once in that time.

From what I am reading in this forum that 1-10 is safe I am fine at a reading of 5.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    About 5 years ago, my count ws 12 and I got a telephone call from the State Dept of Health ... 'what did you do to have the count so high (OSHA says 20 and under)? Told him I cast toy lead soldiers and like to lick my fingers
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

The OSHA limits for lead workers to 'watch' is 40 and 'action required' is 60 ug/dl . Overseas OSHA type groups are about the same. The problem is some labs set arbitrary 'normal' limits much lower.

Good to have a base line so you can detect if it goes up. Can help pinpoint activities that are increasing exposure. For me I'm pretty sure it was vibrating polisher dust.
    Also vitamin C is supposed to aid body in excreting lead. If you want to bring those numbers down.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I tested at 23 recently. I believe that I am careful both when casting and shooting. I've quit shooting inside and have starting wearing gloves when loading. We'll see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm real worried either way.

Boolit Master

Excellent outcome but please change that habit.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by hendere View Post
    I tested at 23 recently. I believe that I am careful both when casting and shooting. I've quit shooting inside and have starting wearing gloves when loading. We'll see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm real worried either way.
    23 is a bit elevated, trend line is more significant when things start to elevate. That and identification of what the source of exposure is so one can modify that activity. Shooting inside might be it in your case.

If you stop shooting indoors and a re-test shows a drop there is your trend line and activity.

Look into chelation (removal) by consumption of vitamin C http://www.lead.org.au/lanv10n2/lanv10n2-2.html or http://www.lead.org.au/lanv10n2/lanv10n2-2.html some suggest mega doses, but most research indicates mega doses orally just make expensive urine. I figure a daily C doesn't hurt and has been shown to reduce absorption and increase excretion in at least some individuals. As with all internet advice do your own confirmation and your mileage may vary.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast