RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What have you made from 30-06 brass?

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Moleman; love the avatar, and would like more info on that 357ar!
    My son and I have both used them for deer hunting with good success (when we see deer). I've used one of the 44 wildcats the last two years and he has continues to hunt with the 357AR. Here's the case forming thread (I'm aware of a couple guys just modifying standard max cases) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...223-5-56-cases
    And a link to my sons rifle http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Rimless)-AR15 Still looking at a better mold with either a rounded tip or smaller flat tip than the .358"/208gr & .430"/309gr Lee wfn molds.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 03-28-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Been making brass sawdust and little brass tubes out of mine. On the way to becoming 8mm.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Been making brass sawdust and little brass tubes out of mine. On the way to becoming 8mm.
    Didn't you get super duper special ones to start with?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    My son and I have both used them for deer hunting with good success (when we see deer). I've used one of the 44 wildcats the last two years and he has continues to hunt with the 357AR. Here's the case forming thread (I'm aware of a couple guys just modifying standard max cases) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...223-5-56-cases
    And a link to my sons rifle http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Rimless)-AR15 Still looking at a better mold with either a rounded tip or smaller flat tip than the .358"/208gr & .430"/309gr Lee wfn molds.
    Very interesting.

I really want a .358 MGP or .358 Gremlin, but that is still very, very interesting to me.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the links and info moleman! Very nice work and good write ups!

C. Latch, Those both look like very good rounds and likely better choices for some. The MI DNR hunting regs do not allow for bottle neck cases in the limited firearm zone for deer hunting or I likely would of gone with one of them. Lots of good niche cartridges have been born out of some of these DNR regulations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    C. Latch, Those both look like very good rounds and likely better choices for some. The MI DNR hunting regs do not allow for bottle neck cases in the limited firearm zone for deer hunting or I likely would of gone with one of them. Lots of good niche cartridges have been born out of some of these DNR regulations.
    Honestly, any of those three would do what I want to do with a semi-auto and a .35 bullet. I'd rather have a shoulder, but I totally understand having to jump through DNR hoops. I can't even hunt squirrels with a centerfire in TN.

Thanks nagantguy! They've been fun to work on, especially the rifle for my son. I'm a big bore guy at heart (love my 30-06 also) so I've mostly been shooting the 44's the last couple years. Can't get my son to shoot them yet though. I've really debated rebarreling my 444 marlin to 444x1.8" so I can use it here also, but it shoots so good as is I don't want to mess with it. So I've been looking at rebarreling my 336 to 357Max. Think I've got the carrier mods figured out, and I have a spare .358" 1:16" blank large enough to make an octagon barrel, but that's a story for down the road a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Honestly, any of those three would do what I want to do with a semi-auto and a .35 bullet. I'd rather have a shoulder, but I totally understand having to jump through DNR hoops. I can't even hunt squirrels with a centerfire in TN.
    I do wish it had a bit more taper to the body. I looked into using 5.45x39 brass as the parent case to gain a few thousands taper, but that would require a special die set as well as loosing common parent brass availability. It ends up doing a good job on deer though. My son has the farthest shot at 142yds laser range finder. Broadside and broke the opposite shoulder on the way out. So far we've only taken deer with the 180gr SSP, but might try the speer 180gr HCFN bullets as they feed and shoot well also.

Boolit Master
    I Also have made 7.7mm Jap from 06 brass. 8mm can also be used to make it
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    7.65 Arg. and 8x57.

Boolit Master

25/06, 8X57 and 338/06

Boolit Master

So my hoarding instincts were correct, with this mountain of 06 brass, most once fired and a goodly supply of primers and powder and the ability to cast my own projectiles I can make ammo for an array of rifles; rifles gen a few pistols and continue to have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Didn't you get super duper special ones to start with?
    Well there were some especially nice brass in that first batch yes indeed. Ran the last few through the HF chop saw now that I got the new blade but for now that is all I can really do.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Hum, 7.7, 8x57, 240 Laser, 25x06, 6.5x06, 35 Whelen, and tried a couple of 357 and 44 Auto Mag pieces, but that was way too much sugar for a dime.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    Well.I`ve made a whole bunch of full ones into empty ones.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Bub
    7X57 then Improve it to Ackley. 25.06 .270. Various powder measures.....

Boolit Buddy
    250 Savage 7x57 8x57

I have a pile of .30-06 blanks that I tore down. I've used them for:

6.5 Jap (with a little lathe work, back before you could get it)
    7x57
    .257 Roberts
    6mm Remington
    8x57
    .35 Whelen
    .25-06

I usually try to use 270 Win brass for my .473 head size conversions because I don't own a 270, but I have on occasion made: 6.5x55 swede, 300 savage, (308 works waaay better), 8x57, 257 Roberts, .318 Westley Richards, there's something else too, &*%* geezer memory.

8x60s. Two months later.

Maybe closer to three......
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast